Budget Race Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

A friend (who was road racing cat. 2 at the time) had the Selene (1450g for a size M, and a heavy fork) and a CAAD9.
He didn't keep the Selene very long, that tells me a lot about the overall behavior of the Velocite for racing purposes...

Louis :)

53x12

by 53x12

Cannondale SystemSix is another great option. I see framesets for <$400-500 on eBay.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Yeah, they're also on my list. I'm looking on a daily basis :thumbup: !!

LouisN

by LouisN

LouisN wrote:I'm also looking for a budget race frame with BB30 (PF30). I cracked my frame yesterday...:(

Prefferably below 1200g for the size 52 frame.
Being in Canada, the Canyon Ultimate Al is out.
Besides the CAAD10 and Allez Smartweld, I also thought Jamis Icon.
Stevens Vuelta maybe, but being in Scandium it must be expensive...

I have to scratch the Stevens alu frames as they're BB86 :( (not compatible with my BB30 Quarq) .
I was starting to like the 2015 Stevens Aspin in Black ano....
http://www.stevensbikes.de/2015/index.p ... lang=fr_FR

jooo

by jooo

It may be possible to run your Quarq with a modified preload setup and this style of BB:

I just can't remember off the top of my head if the spindle is one or two mm short but it's worked for people on BSA68 frames with threaded 30mm cups - that ends up being almost the same width as BB86.

This however would be another good option if you really like the frame.
grover wrote:Buy a standard GXP crankset. Swap the spiders. Sell the Riken BB30 arms with standard spider on it.

A brand new CX1 crankset can be found for about $200 and would be perfect for the swap.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Why no-one mentioned FM066SL. I believe the frame is good enough to race, and cheap enough to not worry...

amey

by amey

^ Bang on sir.

I recently re-built mine for racing purposes with DA7900 and Rotor3D with P2M (not in pic)

Pretty good stack/reach combo for a race posture IMO

Weighs 6.78kg without P2M will be exact 7kg with P2M which I installed yesterday but havent weighed.

It comes with options of BB30 or standard BSA BB; I went with BSA didn't want BB30 headache plus its easy to swap cranks between this and my Madone (BB90) being 24mm axle Rotor 3D.