Gunmetal Planet X Ultra Light CNC brakes...

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
Juggler
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

by Juggler

Hi guys

Have any of you seen these IRL...? Or do they not hit the market until ultimo september?

In order to shave a little more weight of my Canyon Aeroad, I am looking into swopping the Ultegra brakes for something lighter. I had the Planet X Ultra Light CNC on my previous tri-bike - and they felt great. Light and good stopping power... no hassle with fitment... and relatively cheap.

Since my new bike is kind of a "stealth" project, I am going for black in black. And this is my problem. The black brakes are fitted with a red quick release... and the gunmetal seems to have a black quick release. Why not the other way around? :)

If anyone has seen the gunmetal brakes, they might be able to give an idea of how dark they are in colour? Would they fit with the all black bike? Or should I go with black brakes, and have to live with the red QR's?
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

Porschenut
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:09 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

by Porschenut

I have the gunmetal CNC brakes. They're actually quite a bit lighter than I would have hoped for. In short, on an all black bike the gun metal brakes will stick out like sore thumb.

by Weenie


madmole
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:29 pm

by madmole

Why not phone planet X and ask thgem if they will do you all black ones. They are normally quite helpfull

Where are you based?, I have red ones with black fittings. If your not a million miles I have no problems swapping my black ones for red, assuming the arm is removable (At work at present so cant go look)

S
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

User avatar
Juggler
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

by Juggler

madmole wrote:Why not phone planet X and ask thgem if they will do you all black ones. They are normally quite helpfull

Where are you based?, I have red ones with black fittings. If your not a million miles I have no problems swapping my black ones for red, assuming the arm is removable (At work at present so cant go look)

S


Excellent idea...

I am based in Denmark (Europe), and it would be great with a swop. I don't know either if it is removable; never had any reason to try to take it apart on my tri-bike.

Anyway... I will give Planet X a write... and then we will see.
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

User avatar
Juggler
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

by Juggler

Porschenut wrote:I have the gunmetal CNC brakes. They're actually quite a bit lighter than I would have hoped for. In short, on an all black bike the gun metal brakes will stick out like sore thumb.


Thanks for the info - that rules out the gunmetal.
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

User avatar
Juggler
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

by Juggler

Another thing that strikes me, when I read the info about the brakes on Planet X's website:

Unique Patented Dual Pivot POWER CAM Mechanism - Offers excellent stopping power and brake modulation.

Is the new 7220 brake design dual pivot? Or is that a typo?
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

madmole
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:29 pm

by madmole

They are dual pivot and have always been. One pivot is the mount bolt and the other is the wheel on the end of the cam arm
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

blantonator
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:36 pm

by blantonator

I just got these a few days ago. I chose the gunmetal over black and they are really great looking. Black probably would have been stealthier, but the gunmetal looks awesome. I'd say the color is similar to the force gun metal color. I can take a picture tonight.

artray
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 pm

by artray

I had them on my guru which is black nude carbon. There are pics in the introduce your self section ,title is
artrays guru and wildlife .

User avatar
prendrefeu
Posts: 8609
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California
Contact:

by prendrefeu

madmole wrote:Why not phone planet X and ask thgem if they will do you all black ones. They are normally quite helpfull

Where are you based?, I have red ones with black fittings. If your not a million miles I have no problems swapping my black ones for red, assuming the arm is removable (At work at present so cant go look)

S


1. They won't. Planet-X is NOT the producer of these brakes. They are found under many brand names, hence "open-mould" type brakes. Planet-X simply happens to be the most popular seller and they've been associated with the brakes. If you call them up and inquire about details you'll get silence on the other end, they really have no idea about the details of the brakes.

2. Because they do NOT produce the brakes, they also have no control about what colour combos are available. They simply order from their mfg's choices and that's that. You get the savings. Congratulations.

3. I tried removing the arm recently on an ano project, it is quite difficult and I was unable to. If you do manage, please document how you did it.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

quattrings
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:25 pm

by quattrings

prendrefeu wrote:1. They won't. Planet-X is NOT the producer of these brakes. They are found under many brand names, hence "open-mould" type brakes. Planet-X simply happens to be the most popular seller and they've been associated with the brakes. If you call them up and inquire about details you'll get silence on the other end, they really have no idea about the details of the brakes.

2. Because they do NOT produce the brakes, they also have no control about what colour combos are available. They simply order from their mfg's choices and that's that. You get the savings. Congratulations.

3. I tried removing the arm recently on an ano project, it is quite difficult and I was unable to. If you do manage, please document how you did it.


I recall you discovered the center bolt and others not being Ti. Did you go through the trouble of replacing them? If so, what were the weight savings?

User avatar
prendrefeu
Posts: 8609
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California
Contact:

by prendrefeu

Turns out the Centerbolt is Ti, but there is a washer in steel in there somewhere that my magnet was picking up. There were similar steel bits and pieces elsewhere, but they weren't enough to warrant replacement (cost vs. grams saved)... So I didn't take apart the brake on that. They seem to be washers in steel, and they are thin, so the weight savings would be minimal even if they were swapped with alloy.

I did later attempt to take off the cam arm (where the cable is held via the small nut) because I wanted it to match an anodizing run I was doing, but found that removal isn't easy and without a bit of force that would risk damaging the rest of the brake, so I decided not to. The color of red on mine isn't toooo far off the other colour that I anodized, but it's still enough to irk off my OCD designer self everytime I glance down at it. :(
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

roca rule
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:23 am
Location: so. cal.

by roca rule

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1346207276568.jpg

roca rule
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:23 am
Location: so. cal.

by roca rule

Image

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie


User avatar
Juggler
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

by Juggler

Hmmm... okay.

Thanks for the pics "roca rule". They look good - but will definitely not match the rest of my bike. So I will have to go with the black (and red) or maybe choose a totally different brand. That's how OCD I am... :)
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post