2013 Cervelo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

glad I got my Cervelo before this barf comes out!

+1 for BMC as having the best paint jobs now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Ugly.

Cervelo's best paint jobs were the soloist SLC-SL from 2008ish and also the R3SL from the same era.

dchesrown

by dchesrown

I like the R5. The matte will match my CA.

cameltoe

by cameltoe

Awesome. Best looking release of Cervelos for years.

That S5 makes me wanna spend....

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Maybe good time to hunt for a 2012 r5 on year end closeout

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

worst thing about it- the bikes say "cervelo" and "(the model)" twice on each side, once on the top tube and once on the down and seat tubes. why? its redundantredundant. on one bike the top tube "cervelo" is above the centerline of the tube, on another its straight on top of the tube, all while the model name is exactly horizontal. all kinda haphazard. on the aero road bikes, the down tube logo gets bigger as it approaches the head tube. on the s5 it kinda makes sense with how the colors are split near the bb shell, but on the s2 it just looks out of place. AND... on the r3, the "R" and the "3" are really far apart.
frankly, i cant believe the p2 and s2 are even still around. well, maybe the s2, but they really ought to either drop them or integrate them along their engineering concepts, like making them bbright. not that im all for bbright, but if you as a company truly believe it's the future, make it now.

Rashadabd

by Rashadabd

I dunno fellas, I want to like them so bad. I have been going back and forth all day and I have come to a few conclusions: 1) Both the BMC Gran Fondo and the new Trek Madone are better looking bikes now in general (it PAINS me to say that, but over zealous brand loyalty is for suckers). The S5 is actually pretty good looking, except for the HUGE logo/decal in the rear. The R5 VWD is decent as well. That being said, overall my feeling is one of disappointment though. I really expected Cervelo to respond strongly to the added competition from the Gran Fondo, Domane, Madone and Felt's new Z Series (which has been vastly improved for 2013) and they just didn't. It appears as though they just changed some paint schemes and didn't really do a great job at that. Now, if we learn in the near future that this year's S5 is lighter and/or more compliant, then that's a whole different story and I am in, but otherwise I might have to look at something else (and I was seriously considering adding an S5 this year) :?

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

As a Cervelo fanboy, have to say... oh my. :unbelievable:

Thankfully my [old] R3 is plain white with black lettering...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Perhaps the new owners of cervelo have caused cervelo to lose its ways?

ericssonboi

by ericssonboi

Oh god.. those are terrible.. maybe i will hang onto my S2 afterall..

by 2011

True... Cervelo was just recently, last year, bought out by the company that owns Raleigh and Univega. I guess it's starting to show now.
Attachments
RA13_Militis-1_white-silver-red.jpg
RA13_Singulus_dksilver-white-red.jpg
un12_via_mountain_king_NEU_01_afccc430ba.jpg

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Other than ugly paint. What is the difference between the 2012 and 2013 models?

jmilliron

by jmilliron

My favorite LBS carries Cervelo, Scott and Wilier. Already ordered my frame for next season. But, I can tell you this thread makes me even more secure with my decision.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

Rashadabd wrote:I dunno fellas, I want to like them so bad. I have been going back and forth all day and I have come to a few conclusions: 1) Both the BMC Gran Fondo and the new Trek Madone are better looking bikes now in general (it PAINS me to say that, but over zealous brand loyalty is for suckers). The S5 is actually pretty good looking, except for the HUGE logo/decal in the rear. The R5 VWD is decent as well. That being said, overall my feeling is one of disappointment though. I really expected Cervelo to respond strongly to the added competition from the Gran Fondo, Domane, Madone and Felt's new Z Series (which has been vastly improved for 2013) and they just didn't. It appears as though they just changed some paint schemes and didn't really do a great job at that. Now, if we learn in the near future that this year's S5 is lighter and/or more compliant, then that's a whole different story and I am in, but otherwise I might have to look at something else (and I was seriously considering adding an S5 this year) :?

The S5 just came out, I can't imagine that they would have made any major changes this early on. Besides, development takes time. Trek released a new bike for 2013, those companies that hit big in 2012 cannot respond by making their own big splash the same year. Expect Cervelo to answer in 2014 or so, we get impatient and forget how long it takes to design, test, produce, and ship bikes across the ocean.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rashadabd

by Rashadabd

I hear you and agree in general on the production cycle issue, but I have watched major brands consistently improve their bikes year after year (even if those improvements are "minor" and don't involve a change in geometry). Trek makes the Madone a little lighter every year for example, Specialized will tweak something on the Roubaix SL series, Felt added Di2 integration for their F Series, etc. All I am saying is that I was expecting a great company like Cervelo to provide me with something other than paint and large logos. I was expecting them to make me want the new S5 and I'm sitting on the fence right now. :?: