Swapping wheels and brakes (calipers or shoes?)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

So it seems like I'll have a spare front BR 7900.

Until now when I'be been swapping between carbon rims/deep section to alu rim C24's (for windy days) I've just been swapping the shoes. Any beneift to think about swapping out the whole caliper? Seems a bit less fiddly (not having to get them aligned spot on each time), but might cause a lot of cable wear around the pinch bolt.

Assuming I wont have to remove the cable ends and the cable and adjuster barrel can come in and out of the caliper in one peice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The cable would be why I wouldn't swap calipers... Shoes are probably easier anyhow.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Or use these EE Brake Pad Holders http://fairwheelbikes.com/ee-brake-pad- ... -1964.html , if they're ever in stock. Allows you to easily swap pads, presuming a single shoe placement works for both wheels.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm thinking just swapping the pads would be easiest? In fact I've been pondering to look for knurled-head screws, so the pads can be swapped without the allen key.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I had a separate set of pads/holders and swapped them out....you usually need to adjust positioning anyways so seemed like the less fuss solution.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I just find it way more fiddly to adjust the toe-in, compared to frobbing the inline cable length adjuster a bit.

eric

by eric

I swap pads. Adjusting the toe-in and pad position takes me 2-3x longer than swapping pads on Shimano style holders with the set screws.

I mark my pads front and rear so they go back in the same position.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 on shoes. For toe-in, use the same shim every time. Presto.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ThaRiddla

by ThaRiddla

I also swap pads back and forth for my race and training wheels. It takes about 5 minutes to remove one set of wheels, swap pads and install the second set of wheels.

Like eric, I keep my carbon pads (front and rear) separate from my alu pads. I keep the ones not currently on the bike in a baggie marked for front and rear so they go back into the same position each time. A small alignment on my front brake once the wheel is on and i'm ready to go.

I usually clean off each of the pads when removing them so i keep the dust level down and allow the pads to last a little longer. This also gives me a chance to inspect them for hunks of metal or debris.