Di2 cable hacks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alibongo

by alibongo

Hello, I am caught in a silly situation were I have a Ew 7972 internal wire set (has a bb junction box), however I need the ew 7975 fully internal set for a dogma. In the uk there is no stock of the new cable for months (all online shops and Madison checked).

Now has anyone hacked the external bb junction into bits to fit inside the frame?

I am miffed to spend another £150 on a wire set that must cost pence to make.... :cry:

Thank
Follow me on twitter:- MrAliBongo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I imagine if you are handy with a soldering iron and have those heat shrink cable insulation you could could make your own harness. all it is electrical wire.

cymans

by cymans

Yep it can be done. i did it on a cippolni frameset, 3 months ago.
cyman

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

I replaced the junction box with an internal wiring job, there's some pics in my Sig link, more specifically, here:- viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79248&hilit=archon+di2&start=30#p738930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and there's very useful wiring diagram here:- viewtopic.php?f=10&t=67791&start=285#p699718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FYI, after about 6 months, vibration/water ect found its way in and degraded my efforts, resulting in a dead system one ride.

For my second attempt I left the external junction box alone under the bottom bracket and just hacked the power wire for an internal battery.

That part of the Di2 system may seem expensive but imo its not a trivial or simple thing to construct. They could have made it cheap, with smaller components screwed/plugged together, but that box, and the wires in/out are totally sealed unit, and probably more expensive to make that you think. I appreciate its construction anyway and can just about justify its cost. Unlike the cheaper Ui2 box/wires which have already proven (according to recent posts here) not as reliable under longer term/harsh conditions. Fingers crossed that DA 9070 follows the 7970 method and has a maximum amount of sealed parts and minimal number of seperated connections.