New BMC Aero frame TMR01

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KarlC

by KarlC

mulletmaster wrote:Having serious problems with the brakes on these guys. I have fairly narrow carbon rims and mavic kysiriums and a barrel adjuster just about adjusts between the two however...no matter what I do the front shroud slightly fouls the brake so the right arm sticks when it's in place. I've tried everything but can't remedy it and have resorted to running with the shgroud off which is far from ideal.
It also seems to eat front pads quicker than any other bike I've had!
Any suggestions?

I just got a dealer demo TMR01 and am still learning about the bike, have yet to hear about this issue with the front shroud. I will say that I was not impressed with the brakes until my LBS adjusted them, now they stop on a dime.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

amb001

by amb001

KarlC wrote:I just got a dealer demo TMR01 and am still learning about the bike, have yet to hear about this issue with the front shroud. I will say that I was not impressed with the brakes until my LBS adjusted them, now they stop on a dime.

Do you know what they did to the brakes? Mine seem a little weak in their stopping power.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

amb001 wrote:
KarlC wrote:I just got a dealer demo TMR01 and am still learning about the bike, have yet to hear about this issue with the front shroud. I will say that I was not impressed with the brakes until my LBS adjusted them, now they stop on a dime.

Do you know what they did to the brakes? Mine seem a little weak in their stopping power.

They messed with the shims, adjusted so the cables would pull both brake sides closed equally, and fine tuned them with the barrel adjuster.

Before the bike was weak at high speed sudden stops, after they where done it stopped so fast I was not expecting it and almost went over the bars and off the bike.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

brownish

by brownish

What housing are you running? Did they adjust the length of that above the noodle? I've read flexible noodles help.

KarlC

by KarlC

brownish wrote:What housing are you running? Did they adjust the length of that above the noodle? I've read flexible noodles help.

My brake setup is stock as it came from BMC, just different pads for my carbon wheels.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Love that bike. It's in the short list.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Braking is quirky with these bikes, its all about the shims from what I’ve done with mine, and also the pads, if you are running carbon pads they are softer. If anyone has a place where I can get a soft noodle pipe from that would be great. I’ve got to say when its set up, it does brake nicely and sharply!

stono38

by stono38

How Nice!, but all black is so..so monotonous. I want some point color!

KarlC

by KarlC

Just read the below reviews, lot of good info on this bike ....

1/20/15 - BMC TMR01, Part I - http://redkiteprayer.com/2015/01/bmc-tmr01-part-i/

1/21/15 - BMC TMR01, Part 2 - http://redkiteprayer.com/2015/01/bmc-tmr01-part-ii/

Here is the take away if you want the short story.....

"I’ve ridden bikes that are stiffer at the bottom bracket. I’ve ridden bikes that were more comfortable in the saddle. I’ve ridden bikes that were also fast, perhaps faster than this one. What I haven’t done, ever, is ride a bike that had as compelling a blend of features as this one. Sprinting on the TMR01 was a better, more satisfying experience than my experience with the Cervelo S5. It was also a good deal more comfortable; freeing those seatstays of a rear brake can make an appreciable difference. That the bike was this quick was a shock.

I’ve reviewed one other aero bike that was quick the way this is and still maintained some comfort and road feel; it also weighed in the same neighborhood—a bit less, actually. That bike was the Litespeed C1R. I liked that bike a lot, but on technical descents and under a full sprint there was a bit of lash in the frame; the wheels wouldn’t stay in plane with each other. The practical effect wasn’t that I felt like I couldn’t sprint on the bike, it was that I tended to back off my out-of-the-saddle efforts just a bit in order to focus on keeping the bike pointed exactly where I wanted it to go. The TMR01 didn’t have that issue.

The TMR01 is a remarkable bike, one that offers a lively feel along with terrific stiffness. It’s a combination of features that I honestly didn’t expect from BMC. Why not, I’m at pains to say. Though I’ve had high regard for their work, the constellation of features was something that, perhaps, I thought was beyond their engineering team. Let’s not forget that this is their first aero road frame (even if it is an adaptation of the TM01 time trial frame), which is all the more impressive when you consider how many frame designs Cervelo has been through.

Were I buying a carbon fiber bike right now, it would almost certainly be an aero road frame. Why not capitalize on a feature of the material steel and ti can’t touch? And in making my short list of bikes that I’d consider for purchase, I’d put the TMR01 in my top three choices. It’s that good."
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Hm personally I wouldn't trust RKP reviews... Haven't seen them say anything bad about anything at all and pages of gushing about whatever they review really lowers their credibility.

KarlC

by KarlC

Kayrehn wrote:Hm personally I wouldn't trust RKP reviews... Haven't seen them say anything bad about anything at all and pages of gushing about whatever they review really lowers their credibility.

Are there any reviews on the BMC TMR01 that you would trust ?

I would like to read them. thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

HanSolPark

by HanSolPark

Nice bike!
I think BMC always concern there bike how to be effective about aero.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I read Ride magazine's (Australia) review of it a long while back and I do find their review more well-rounded. Just Googled it and it's issue #59. Cyclingtips also has a good writeup on it. But I find the user feedback here excellent!

KarlC

by KarlC

Kayrehn wrote:I read Ride magazine's (Australia) review of it a long while back and I do find their review more well-rounded. Just Googled it and it's issue #59. Cyclingtips also has a good writeup on it. But I find the user feedback here excellent!

I have seen the Ride video, seems like nothing but good to say also.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4knF-KBFM
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

I thought this was a good way of showing how the BMC Tripwire technology works
Attachments
BMC tripwire.gif
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com