Bar tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Another vote for Lizard Skins. I ride w/o gloves and use the 2.5mm version for a bit more cushion. IME it's perhaps slightly cushier than Fizik Microtex (which I used for several years) and retains more grip when wet. I use black so I can't comment on how it cleans but it's very durable.
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Fizik mircotex white on most of my bikes. Lasts forever and cleans easily. Others have Specialized S-Wrap, which is similar in durability and still cleans up well, while being a good bit more comfy.

quattrings

by quattrings

Cinelli (gel) cork here too because it's the most comfy I've tried. bought it for my sis' bike first, but once I got my hands on it I knew I had to... well, get my hands on it :wink:
It's probably not light, but has good grip in all conditions. It's easy to apply and can be rewrapped. Lasts about a year before wearing thinner in some spots and the cushinness fades.
Also using black tape so can not comment on cleaning.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I only use black tape as well too avoid cleaning.

Guerdi

by Guerdi

I ride without gloves and I hate cushion - I like to feel the road as is (I know it's weird).

That's why I love fizik's tapes. Easy to clean, nice looking, last for months. And, most important, you feel your handlebar.

If you like cushion but want something (quite) easy to clean a good choice would be the Specialized Roubaix.

I don't understand the hype about DSP tapes - it's a product I dislike. When it's dirty with sweat it feels sticky. But then again I don't use gloves.

NealH

by NealH

Lizard Skin for me. Love the grip and feel. It may be more difficult to keep stark white but it wipes down and cleans up well enough. Just don't expect to look brand new all the time. Leather is my least favorite.

gmitt98

by gmitt98

+1 to the Fizik. That stuff has lasted through a few years plus bar swaps on one bike. Still looks good. Although changing it up every year is hardly a huge expense if you want to keep it really fresh.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

I use the cheapest gel cork tape that I can find online. I've purchased several different brands, but the tape appears to be the exact same stuff. Doesn't look as PRO as, say, fizik, but it's no big deal if I need to replace it.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

roca rule

by roca rule

it is safe to say that that tape is made more for bling than for function. so if you own a serotta and have one of those useless rearview mirrors mounted on your drops, it might be the tape for you.

gmitt98

by gmitt98

Heck, if you've got a mirror on your bike and are on the weight weenies site, you might be in the wrong place. And you should probably put one of these on that Serotta instead
roca rule wrote:

it is safe to say that that tape is made more for bling than for function. so if you own a serotta and have one of those useless rearview mirrors mounted on your drops, it might be the tape for you.
:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58457141/st ... -bar-wraps
http://www.etsy.com/listing/49504255/br ... -bar-wraps

madmole

by madmole

gmitt98 wrote:Heck, if you've got a mirror on your bike and are on the weight weenies site, you might be in the wrong place.

Or be blind in your car side eye and unable to look over your shoulder to see behind! Riding in London I need as much all round vision I can get
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

goodboyr

by goodboyr

roca rule wrote:

Thanks for the super useful response! :roll:
The OP asked for bar tape that is easy to clean and lasts. Handlebra stays clean. I have the white tape on one of our bikes and after a year, its still pure white. But that's ok............it appears you are more concerned with image than practicality. Hard to be embarrassed about bar tape, but it looks like you could be.

roca rule

by roca rule

At 4-5 times the price of fizik and probably twice the weight; where is the function advantage? I also doubt that it could be comfier than cork our dsp tapes and certainly not better grip? No doubt that it has its place, on some builds but I thought this was weight weenies.
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

roca rule wrote:At 4-5 times the price of fizik and probably twice the weight; where is the function advantage? I also doubt that it could be comfier than cork our dsp tapes and certainly not better grip? No doubt that it has its place, on some builds but I thought this was weight weenies.
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

A far more civilized answer than your first. Its very comfy, great feel and stays clean. Haven't weighed it, so I can't tell you whether its twice the weight of fizik (which is listed at 63 gm total including plugs), and this certainly isn't the "cost weenies" forum.