Speedplays - unclipping by accident.. in races

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FreaK

by FreaK

Ach! Quit cher whinin'! I was at a race today and some poor guy pulled his cleat right off his shoe!!
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

your cleats look fine, they are the right ones, dont look broken, but the wear marks on your steel protector seem a little odd. how old are your pedals? could be worn bowties as mentioned, could be worn edges on the pedal bodies allowing angular movement. i would check that the cleats sit square. by that i mean that if you look at the front of your shoes head-on, the front of the cleat should be on the same plane as the rear of the cleat. if there's a twist, correct it with the "extra shim" provided. good luck.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Gregorio wrote:Looks like the "c" metal spring is broken in the picture. (at the bottom of picture) looks like the end of it has broken off.
Excessive wear on the bow ties edge can cause this to happen quickly.

Not missing, that is correct.

Also, ensure the c-clip has the * side up, they are tapered slightly on one side for entrance into the pedal, if you have them upside down, I would assume this would allow for them to unclip easily, even without twisting.

aaric

by aaric

iscarrr wrote: Is using loctite key here?

I've forgotten to locktite the screws on my cleats 3 times after adjusting them. Each time has resulted in lost screws. Really loose is relative, but you can't crank down on them much, or the retention ring will bind in the cleat - its entirely possible that the ring is being pinched by the plastic, and not functioning properly.

Rick

by Rick

Gregorio wrote:Looks like the "c" metal spring is broken in the picture. (at the bottom of picture) looks like the end of it has broken off.
Excessive wear on the bow ties edge can cause this to happen quickly.

I just checked mine for comparison, and I don't think it is broken, just hidden due to the rotation angle.

The original picture isn't clear-enough (lighting/shadow) to be conclusive, but the C-clip may be upside down ? The bevel should be visible from the outside to ease entry.

I have been using Speedplays for a lot of years and never pulled out even once. But I suppose some people flail their ankles more than others.