New Di2 9070 is coming... Help me pick a frame!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Help me pick a frame!

Parlee Z5SLi
32%
Pinarello Dogma 2
5%
BMC Impec
14%
Cannondale SuperSix Evo
14%
Look 695
8%
Time RXRS Ulteam
3%
Scott Foil
15%
Cervelo S5 VWD
6%
Giant TCR Advanced SL
4%

Total votes: 79

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Parlee
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

How about none of the above?
How about a brand that isn't well known on this forum?
The gallery seems to just be an endless stream of the usual stuff now.
If you want to be spending as an effort, why not make the effort?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgordon

by mgordon

Like what?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Endorfin?
Stevens?
Nordischer Rahmenbau?
Spin?
Crisp?
Corratec?
Javelin?
Simplon?

Seriously, there's an endless trove of amazing frames, brands and builders out there, many stock and a lot more full custom. The world is absolutely full of quality products out there that no one pays attention to because everyone is defaulting to the usual stuff off the top of their heads and not bothering to do a little digging for their own treasure find.

Each of the bikes in your poll is different: in aesthetics, ride qualities, cost, and more. If you're going to have something that you'll be riding and feeling truly connected to, why not take the time to truly seek something that is right for you be it stock or custom?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mgordon

by mgordon

My reasoning for excluding most of the brands you mention is pretty simple; access. Limiting though it may be, I'm not really interested in any brand that doesn't have significant representation in the USA. I won't buy Tune, AX-Lightness, etc. for the same reason. If anything ever does go wrong, it simply isn't worth the hassle to me.

I'm definitely not denying that these companies make great products - but I'm not after super custom, year-long build. The bikes I've mentioned are as similar as I can make them given those characteristics - they're reputable brands (except maybe the BMC - vaporware?), and all at the high end of that brand's line. Sure they're different price ranges but that is, in my opinion, as much a function of marketing as it is of quality. As far as aesthetics I think I'd rank them 1 - BMC, 2 - Giant, 3 - Scott, 4 - Parlee. I like the aggressive but subtle looks. Nothing crazy. Maybe not THAT similar but what can you do.

If I could just have any of them straight up I think it would be the BMC - but I have some doubts about that. I think that for me the Parlee is in 2nd - but wanted other opinions. I guess it's worth mentioning that I can get EP on Cannondale and Pinarello. More interested in getting the bike I want though.

Thanks for your thoughts!

hansonator69

by hansonator69

I chose the Parlee... get something nice and custom :wink:
Slam your stem.

spytech

by spytech

My vote goes for the parlee z5sli. its lines are soo clean and classic, i really like this bike. other option i would say is the stevens stratos, except i dont like the fact that it comes with bb86, other than that it comes with arguably the best fork you can get on any bike including the cervelo R5Ca thm fork.

btw, what is eta on di2 9070???

mrfish

by mrfish

My am very happy with my Z5SLi, but if you have time and money, why not get a custom Firefly, Baum or English. Or for less dollars and more risk you could do your own research and order a fully customised Ti bike made in china to your specifications. Or you could just stop thinking about it and just get the latest bling machine. In that case I'd be tempted by an impec with a factory collection visit and tour as I think the technology and experience will be different to anything you can get elsewhere.

It doesn't really matter, as all will go at the same speed. You could say that bike x is better than bike y for a certain type of riding, but personally I think all of these bikes are raceable, mountain all-day rideable or paris roubaixable if they fit. It just depends on the level of level of involvement, individuality and subtlety you want.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

mgordon wrote:I'm not really interested in any brand that doesn't have significant representation in the USA. I won't buy Tune, AX-Lightness, etc. for the same reason. If anything ever does go wrong, it simply isn't worth the hassle to me.

I might be biased, but Tune has awesome representation in the US. Go to your LBS and ask them if they ever had problems with their US distributor.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

mgordon wrote:- but I'm not after....... a year-long build.

Well, if you are planning on using Di2 9070 then this may be your biggest issue......

duz10s

by duz10s

Colnago C59????
2015 RCA with Di2

CharlesM

by CharlesM

On that list?

The Z5SLI

Off that list (BUT IN THAT RANGE)?

Crumpton Corsa Team, Blue Axino SL, BMC SLR01,

Off that list and spending more money? There are loads of bikes...

mgordon

by mgordon

btompkins0112 wrote:Well, if you are planning on using Di2 9070 then this may be your biggest issue......

Heh... Fair enough.
Ypsylon wrote:
mgordon wrote:I'm not really interested in any brand that doesn't have significant representation in the USA. I won't buy Tune, AX-Lightness, etc. for the same reason. If anything ever does go wrong, it simply isn't worth the hassle to me.

I might be biased, but Tune has awesome representation in the US. Go to your LBS and ask them if they ever had problems with their US distributor.

I can say without a doubt that if I went to my LBS and asked about Tune, not a single employee would have heard of them. I know, I used to work there. I'd say the same is the case for most shops in the country - there's probably one or two mechanics that would know about companies like that - but the VAST majority would not have heard of them - let alone have any experience with a US distributor. And if you're going to say that these are just not quality shops - well, I just don't think that's true.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CTracer

by CTracer

Maybe not WW enough, but I'll throw out the Moots RSL with the Di2 option. I have one on order that should be arriving within the next several weeks. I am riding a Parlee Z5 with external Di2 wiring now. Can't go wrong with a Parlee.

CTracer