Is the rise and hype of 52/36 compact here to stay?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
HillRPete

by HillRPete

djconnel wrote:Maybe it's different with electronic shifting, but I really like the front manual shifts I get with 36-46, especially since I more often don't need to touch the rear. And if 46-11 is good enough for Sven Nys and other world-class 'crossers, it's probably good enough for most of us.

Svetty wrote:If I run 50/34 I use the 50 almost all the time and only use the 34 on steepish gradients. Hence the 50 wears pretty fast. On a 52/36 I can use the 36 a lot more ( I use an 11 smallest sprocket) so the chainset lasts a lot longer.

Gearing ratio is all about terrain. I find it very "interesting" that many people argue about what combinations are work well, without mentioning the terrain they are riding.

Here in the alps compact (with 11-27 or 11-28) is king for mediocre riders like me. One can ride in the big ring around the valley, and once you hit a pass roas you put it in the 34 and stay there for a long time. Shift quality doesn't matter a lot, because there's not much need to shift in the front. Never any problem with wear here.

Where you might need some more gear inches is when trying to chase a move on the downhill. There's quite a number of roads where 50/11 spins out, and if you're able to pedal just a little bit more out of the turns that can be the difference between catching up or getting dropped. There's always riders on 53/11 pushing on.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I own a Campagnolo 52/36 crank. Due to my lack of power I thought I would be better of with a 50/36 combo, so I ordered a FC-SR250 chainring. It's a 110 BCD ring with 50 teeth. The package says 50x34 EVO chainring - 11s. Does this mean I can only pair it with a 34T inner ring? Or will it work with the 36T as well? Thanks!

headwind816

by headwind816

Sjoerd wrote:Or will it work with the 36T as well? Thanks!

While I have no experience with Campagnolo rings, I can verify that SRAM 50t and FSA 50t that state 50/34 shifted a little better with a 36t. I suspect the mild increase in shifting performance is due to a slightly larger inner ring.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Thanks! Maybe the number just indicates the minimum amount of teeth for the inner chainring when paired to this specific outer chainring?

I had a non-compact crank before and if I recall correctly the 53T chainring had the number 39 on it, while it should work with a 42T inner ring as wel. At least, that's what I'm assuming.