The best road tacing clincher tyre

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
airwise

by airwise

The answer is going to depend to a degree on where you ride. Some tyres, Contis being one of them, cut up more than others when confronted with small shards of flint or rock laying on the road.

I like Contis but find them unexceptional. I find Ultremo ZX and Hutchinson Atoms to be fast and reasonably tough. If I ride in areas with flint though, I'll ride Pro 4 Endurance all day and not really feel I'm missing out that much. On good roads I'll ride Veloflex Masters for comfort or Bontrager R4/Maxxis Radiale for outright speed.

The Mavics would also be up there with the Schwalbe and Hutchinson mentioned earlier, but their slightly larger volume makes them a little more comfortable for someone like me.

All in all I really couldn't pick one winner out of this lot. It's going to depend on so many variables. Best allrounder? If pushed I'd plump for the Radiale.

by Weenie

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

alexh wrote:Do the research before you post.

Hey AlexH, I did research.

S = Schwarz. Does it have size variations? Yes, there are two size variations. That's still a variation. Your chart proves me correct, thanks for that.

By the way, AlexH, apparently you don't do research either:
http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle ... 0S_en.html
"S stands for sport, special and “schwarz“ – the german term for black."

Keep trying, son. I'll readily admit when I'm wrong, so if that's your aim please do continue, I welcome learning something new.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Petty? Kettle black, child.

It's strange that you're picking an argument with someone who is agreeing with you.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

alexh wrote:Both the 4000s and 4000 have the black chilli compound. The only difference between the to tyres are that the 4000 comes in multiple sizes/colours.

alexh wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:Hey AlexH, I did research.

S = Schwartz. Does it have size variations? Yes, there are two size variations. That's still a variation. Your chart proves me correct, thanks.

By the way, AlexH, apparently you don't do research either:
http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle ... 0S_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"S stands for sport, special and “schwarz“ – the german term for black."

Keep trying, son.

We were discussing my point of "multiple size variations" suggesting more than two. Don't be petty.

All in all the only difference between the 4000s and the 4000 is that the 4000s only comes in 'proper'/regular racing sizes and in black only.

As an impartial observer, let me get prendrefeu out of his pickle here.

In the first quote above, Alexh said "multiple sizes/colours", which to me means 2 or more. Alexh later claimed (in 2nd quote above) to have made a point of ' "multiple size variations" suggesting more than two', which perhaps could be interpreted as meaning more than 2 sizes, but as I have shown, that is not what he previously wrote. Therefore, prendrefeu is correct in his assertion.

Now that this matter has been definitively resolved, Back2Topic.

DMF

by DMF

In all fairness, performance aspects set aside as I agree GP4000S is a great allrounder. But regarding road feel, they are real hockey pucks! This is by no small measure, and I do compare to Michelin Pro2/3/4, Ultremo ZX, Challenge Criterium, Vittoria Corsa, and so forth... The difference IME is huge, I just can't bring myself to look past what one is missing out on with GP's!

Why pay out of your nose for a top-of-the-shelf frame/fork/seatpost/handlebar/bib that feels just right, and throw it all out the window with completely numb, dead, lifeless tires...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

prendrefeu wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:Unfortunately I have not been able to find them at a price competitive with the 4000s. :|

That seems to be the kicker. Very poor online availability/pricing and rarely do I see them in shops.

But when paired with Mavic wheels, not only perform impressively but look Pro 8)

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

alexh wrote:Both the 4000s and 4000 have the black chilli compound. The only difference between the to tyres are that the 4000 comes in multiple sizes/colours.

Only the *black* ones have Black Chilli. Avoid the colored ones...
formerly rruff...

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Tinea Pedis wrote:But when paired with Mavic wheels, not only perform impressively but look Pro 8)

I don't know who makes the clinchers, but the tubulars are made by Tufo and are very slow.
formerly rruff...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

The only single I have is on the front of my CXR 80, so not really a good position to judge them.

Can only speak for the clincher and I've ridden a good few tyres to form that opinion.

But hey, YMMV and this wouldn't be WW without some Mavic slating now would it.

gleason

by gleason

prendrefeu wrote:s stands for Schwartz. (aka, Black)

Size variations are available for both 4000 and 4000s. The differences are only in colour.

Only the black GP4000 have the Black Chili compound:

GP4000 description From Conti website "3 plies / total 330 tpi / Vectran Breaker / Black Chili only in black version / foldable"

Yet another reason to stay away from colored tires.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Veloflex Master or Corsa for me for a general all round racing clincher for me. But it depends on the discipline too, you could use the Conti Supersonics if you are wanting lightweight clincher or the Veloflex Records for either a hill climb or time trial - mate with latex tubes and bam! Sorted.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

My votes is for the Bontrager R3, Conti Gp4000s and the New mavic Pro tyres, Currently running Mavic Pro
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

TrekUk wrote:My votes is for the Bontrager R3

Did not rate at all. Very average tyres.

GP4000s are very hard to go past.

Devon

by Devon

Bontrager R3'S are re branded Vittoria Rubino Pros.
Campagnolo; because it's a bicycle, not a fishing rod.

by Weenie

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Is that one a fact too? :smartass:

Really though, I would believe that. As I also agree, average training tyre at best.