Stuck brake bolt in Colnago Star carbon fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andyindo

by andyindo

Hi All,

I have a big problem. I have a Colnago C40HP with a Star fork. This weekend I decided to strip the frame for the first time in 9 years(I should have done it earlier I know!).
The front Dura Ace brake has become seized into the carbon fork. I'm currently trying a variety of methods to get it out and dont care if I destroy the brake in the process. Currently have pepsi sitting in the fork brake hole, hoping to eat into the corrosion. Before that I had GT85 sitting in there overnight and that didnt seem to do anything. Any other ideas?

BUT, worst case scenario, if i do destroy the fork, does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement for 1inch Star fork?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Try using some rust penetration oil like PB blaster.

For future so this does not happen aagain you can cover the brake bolt hole with electrical tape like super 88 by 3M.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andyindo

by andyindo

stella-azzurra wrote:Try using some rust penetration oil like PB blaster.

For future so this does not happen aagain you can cover the brake bolt hole with electrical tape like super 88 by 3M.

I've got some GT85 soaking in at the moment. Hopefully this can help free it!!

jekyll man

by jekyll man

remove the pad holders, then turn the caliper anti clockwise.

Once thats done you can concentrate on the nut.
You'll be able to leave the nut soaking in penetrating fluid, then put an allen key in a vise and turn the fork to free off the nut.

Copper grease is a good solution to stop it happening again. :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

andyindo

by andyindo

It came out!! For anyone else having issues, I first soaked it in GT85, then Pepsi, also poured boiling water on the brake stud a few times to try and expand and loosen it. It took 4 days of a combination of soaking and tapping with a hammer. Good news is that both the fork and brake are fine. I'll be putting electrical tape over the back of the fork hole to prevent all the cr*p getting in there.