Odd aluminum frameset shootout

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

olebole

by olebole

Hi!
I'm looking for a new frame to race and train on, and with a small budget I've been having aluminum in mind.

At first, I was totally into getting the new Specialized Allez E5 but then I got inspired by the lovely pro-lite cuneo build here on WW. So now I'm also thinking of getting a quantec race sl and combine it with an enve 2.0 fork, wich will cost about the same as the allez.

What are your thoughts about this? I really dig the classic geo of the quantec and the fact that I probably won't see another setup like that around. But will it perform as the specialized?

I'm putting a record/chorus groupset on it so I won't get the benefits of the osbb on the allez.

Any input regarding this matter would be highly appreciated!

/Ola

Ps. I dont want a canyon or a rose :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leviathan

by Leviathan

nm didnt read your question right.

olebole

by olebole

Sorry if the question got caught up in the middle :)

Should I get the Specialized Allez or the generic frame/enve fork?

mgordon

by mgordon

CAAD10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stefano

by Stefano

Hi,

I don't think that you should base your decision on the fork, the specialized full carbon fork is IMO just as good as the enve, and the E5 is a great frame too. It might not fit the same as a pro lite though, having a taller HT. GO for the one that fits the best/ handles like you want it to. Just aesthetically, I think that the specialized has better paint jobs, but I can't get over the curved TT, while the pro lite's bare frame looks better, but the paint job doesn't look that good. All personal opinion:)

Stefano

Zachariah

by Zachariah

Cannondale System Six hybrid alu/carbon mix frame offers the best-bang-for-your-buck, and there are many on eBay selling CHEAP right now. Sys6 is one sublime, stiff, rocket ship...I won't even be surprised you will end up racing it too.
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

olebole

by olebole

Stefano: That's kind of what I've been thinking as well. The fact that the allez(tarmac) fork is tapered might make it a stiffer option than the enve.
My first post was kind of confusing though. I was not planning on getting the pro-lite, that was just inspiration for my plans of a generic-ish alu frame with the enve fork.
The frame I've been looking at is this one: http://www.bike24.net/p12712.html

Actually if the specialized was offered in any other color than white I would't even have to think about it :twisted:

As for the Cannondale shout outs: I'm keeping an eye on ebay but they seem to always end up costing more than my other options... :oops:

kulivontot

by kulivontot

It doesn't matter. Whatever frame you buy today is going to get replaced in a year when you catch the weight weenie bug anyway. So skip the middle man and jump straight to a Tarmac.
+1 for fit

Leviathan

by Leviathan

If the question is which generic alu frame, not just a Quantec vs Spesh tradeoff, I got a planet x Alu team, weight about 1250 in size L, great frame, about 220 Euros, and Ive been really happy with it - dont buy their fork, however as its too flexy!
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRP ... _frame_mk2

olebole

by olebole

Thanks for all the input!

I ended up buying a used bb30 caad9 frameset after all... Now I just have to find a hollowgram crankset :)

Zachariah

by Zachariah

olebole wrote:Thanks for all the input!

I ended up buying a used bb30 caad9 frameset after all... Now I just have to find a hollowgram crankset :)

Absolutely. The price is high....but the BB30 Hollowgram completes the CAAD9. Worth every penny!
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

jesse00swords

by jesse00swords

FWIW, I love my Allez Evo, which is the only complete bike in the Allez range with the full carbon fork.

It's nice and stiff, it handles great, and I think it actually rides smoother than my previous bike which was a Scott CR1 Team (pre-plushbike redesign). It's not the lightest, but 17.1lbs (without pedals, 52cm) straight out of the box isn't too bad.

yeaitsdave

by yeaitsdave

Good call on the CAAD9, best bang for the buck you can find.

dummey

by dummey

If you have weird proportions, Tsunami is a great custom aluminum frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com