Vincero Designs Bottles and Cages-First Impressions

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
rjk8

by rjk8

Ordered these on Saturday, arrived yesterday. So far weight savings is about 100g over my other cages and bottles(24oz). 1st ride went off without a hitch, no thrown bottles, very easy in and out of the cage mechanism, good quality bottles with nice valves although they don't spring back as quickly as I would like after drinking out of them. The magnets rattle a little bit when you hit a washboard section in the road, but besides being annoying this did not affect performance and the bottles were secure. The mount plus hardware was 18-20g and the bottles weighed in at 86g empty at 24 oz. I will post pics in a little while. All in all I didn't notice a difference between my old cages and these so I would count that as a positive. So if you are looking to save a little weight and have run out of ideas definitely give these a try. I do not work for Vincero nor have I received any compensation for this review. just sayin.
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

rjk8

by rjk8

Nice clean look

24 oz bottle thats 88 grams, damn flash.

Cage + hardware

My old cages + hardware

Very easy to mount but I did have to open up the bolt hole on the mount that goes on my downtube a little bit with a rasp so it would mount straight, basically just made the hole marginally bigger. No effect on performance.
R.J.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

The place that I could see these being really beneficial is on cx bikes. You can mount a 'cage' to ride warm up or training rides and then in the race it's not in your way. If it's a hot race and you want to carry a bottle, you can for a couple laps and then ditch it with no ill effects to you bike for portaging.

Otherwise, I think the proprietary bottle is a bit of a hinderance. Can't take a random feed in a race, can't use course support in a triathlon, etc.

For what it's worth, they're made in Colorado and the guy behind the company is a really nice guy. I'm going to try and pick up a couple of them from him at the Rocky Mountain Bicycle Festival in a week and a half...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

rjk8

by rjk8

I think these are geared more toward non competitive athletes anyway, I would not use them in a race as they would be a hindrance. For the weight weenie who does not race, it seems to me these are an affordable way to lose weight on your bike. Most lightweight carbon cages will run you $50+ unless you get them used and most are more than 20g with hardware. Even AX cages are 16 grams with hardware, but they cost over $100 a piece. :shock:
R.J.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Kenda/5hr Energy/GearGrinder is using them as regular equipment

Lance that is a good idea for CX bikes. Might pickup a set for the season

collideous

by collideous

I've been using one of these successfully on my rigid 29er. Funny thing is, I did not have the same luck on the road bike. Cattle guards, dirt roads and skinny road tires were too much for the Edge16.
blogging at 29in.ch

ricerocket

by ricerocket

If you get a Camelbak, you can take even more weight off your bike... :roll:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

collideous,

Very clever avatar. I presume you designed it?

Scottybee

by Scottybee

Consider me ignorant if you will- but i would have significant concerns with how well those hold a full bottle of water if I used them on my own bike.
17 and stupid, bear with me

collideous

by collideous

HammerTime2 wrote:collideous,

Very clever avatar. I presume you designed it?

Yes, I did. It used to be the Twitter logo for the Swiss TwentyNiner.ch forum.
blogging at 29in.ch

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

There was a previous thread mentioning the Viincero. As I pointed out there, per the label, there is a Warning: "Always stop your bike in a safe place before attempting to remove the bottle from the mount or beginning to drink." Perhaps this would limit its effectiveness in certain racing situations :laughat: :laughat:

Geoff

by Geoff

Yeah, it says: "Made in the USA"' too...

rjk8

by rjk8

Made in the USA= our lawyers made us put this in to limit our liability. :smartass: :roll: :lol:
R.J.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Would it be any different for a U.S. based company whose product was manufactured overseas?

rjk8

by rjk8

2nd ride today, 2 full 24oz bottles, no issues. Less rattling over bumps this time. I think these are gonna work.
R.J.