Can it be done: drill a hole in the stem faceplate? YES!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zachariah

by Zachariah

Get the two-piece faceplate....much lighter. Compatibility is never an issue, since faceplate mounting points are always a perfect half-circle. Here is my old alloy 90mm x 31.8mm Cannondale C4 with a Token faceplate. Stem weight was 121g:

Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The stem is back from the polisher and he also did a very nice job drilling out the hole in the faceplate. I have already ridden the in a gran fondo this weekend (247 km) and it works like a charm, despite the big hole in the faceplate.

Can it be done: drill a hole in the stem faceplate? Yes it can

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

The Spin stem looks great! I was considering one of those or maybe a ControlTech (Ti forged) but not so keen on the writing on the stem...

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

It will be fine, up until the point it prematurely fails, have fun.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

SWijland wrote:The stem is back from the polisher and he also did a very nice job drilling out the hole in the faceplate. I have already ridden the in a gran fondo this weekend (247 km) and it works like a charm, despite the big hole in the faceplate.

Can it be done: drill a hole in the stem faceplate? Yes it can

Problem is you're using a 31.8 stem on a Deda bar. Deda specifically advise against using other makes as their bars are 31.7.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quoted pics.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

0.1mm difference, it will be fine. most bars and stems vary by that much at least anyway

Why did DEDA go 31.7? was it just to be different??

Ive used Deda bars carbon and alloy with 31.8 stems without prpblems

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

bikedoc wrote:0.1mm difference, it will be fine. most bars and stems vary by that much at least anyway

Why did DEDA go 31.7? was it just to be different??

Ive used Deda bars carbon and alloy with 31.8 stems without prpblems

IIRC Deda went 31.7 first.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

@SWijland: Moots supply their frames and stems with steel bolts also, I think the issue is that Ti bolts in a Ti stem will be very prone to cold-welding and seizing in place. If you replace the bolts for ti ones, make sure you use *lots* of anti-seize.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

They're all 31.75 (1 1/4 inches). Some are listed as 31.75, some as 31.7, and some as 31.8.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Never knew there were different oversized handlebar standards :roll:

If the faceplate fails I will be sure to let you know.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Per my post above, 31.75, 31.7, and 31.8 are all exactly the same thing. And they are all really 31.75.

As for failure due to drilling the face plate, you may not be "around" to post if your stem fails.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

HammerTime2 wrote:Per my post above, 31.75, 31.7, and 31.8 are all exactly the same thing. And they are all really 31.75.

As for failure due to drilling the face plate, you may not be "around" to post if your stem fails.

Nope.

My Deda bars all measure 31.7 dead, yet my other bars from Cinelli & 3T, as well as the Enves in the shop I work for measure 31.8. Enve even advise against using Deda product with theirs for this specific reason.

It may be fine to fit a 31.7 bar into a 31.8 stem 99 times out of 100, but if that stem faceplate has been drilled out it is asking to be the other 1.

The fact that 1 1/4" happens to be 31.75mm is irrelevant and not an indication of it just being a rounding issue. The predominant units of measurement in cycling are metric and have been for many a year.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

I stand by my post. Now of course, there is unit to unit, lot to lot, and even brand to brand variation. By staying "all Deda", you eliminate the brand to brand variation aspect. So one brand's 31.75 may not be the same as another's, but that is independent of whether it is called 31.7, 31.75, or 31.8.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

HammerTime2 wrote:I stand by my post. Now of course, there is unit to unit, lot to lot, and even brand to brand variation. By staying "all Deda", you eliminate the brand to brand variation aspect. So one brand's 31.75 may not be the same as another's, but that is independent of whether it is called 31.7, 31.75, or 31.8.

I'll check a random selection from the 500+ bars I have at work but am sure 31.75 is not a measurement that'll come up much if at all. Non Deda bars are 31.8 to avoid paying the originator of os bars any royalty plain & simple.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

Good luck with that stem, with a such a big hole I predict a crack

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com