Campagnolo Freewheel.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knew the technical difference if any, between the following Campa freewheels:

FH-BO015 and FH-BUU015

TA, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

FH-BO015 is the free hub body for regular Record hubs
FH-BU015 is virtually the same part but for Campagnolo wheels.

I'll have a closer look at work in the morning if you like.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Prior to 2012 the Record hubs and the higher end wheels shared the same FH-BO015 freehub.
For 2012 the Record freehubs are again FH-BO015 but the higher end wheels now have a FH-BUU015 freehub.
The FH-BUU015 is backwardly compatible with older wheelsets.

I'm interested in knowing if it's just a more than just a designation change.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

From what I can tell from Campa's 012 spare parts lists (A-B) the mid-range wheels using the same old (so to speak) 17mm alloy rear axle are now outfitted with the new FH-BUU015 freewheel.
As are Fulcrum wheels from Racing 3 on upwards. (Haven't checked R light nor R Speed yet)

The high-end range (HYP-BOR) hasn't changed and continues to use freewheel spare part # FH-BO015.

Spare parts for both types are identical and both freewheels should be interchangeable from what I can tell by looking at the sheets.

On some pics I came across the net FH-BUU015 sports a greaseport but these pics could be ones of the predecessor of FH-BO015, the one with the entirely round axle iso the newer lobed one.

My wild guess is there might be a difference in bearing quality (hence the grease port perhaps) or they added the grease port back on due to complaints of the lack of serviceablility of the inner bearing? That's all I can come up with so far.....

If that's the only difference then I'm baffled as I don't see how they can spare a penny that way but then I'm no master in economics either.... :oops:

Now if only they could come up with a CULT bearing version of FH-BO015 and make it easily serviceable again I'd be very happy indeed.... Been begging, sitting on my bare knees for years now. :lol:

@Ultimobici: any info is welcome, tia. 8)

Ciao, ;)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Hi fdegrove,
I've rechecked my info and all the wheels from Zonda upwards have the FH-BUU015 freehub.
The lower end wheels, Khamsin, Vento, Scirocco and Bullet (not Ultra) have the FH-SC015 freehub.

Still none the wiser as to what the difference is :lol:

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Is there any further info on this?

Permon

by Permon

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

On some pics I came across the net FH-BUU015 sports a greaseport but these pics could be ones of the predecessor of FH-BO015, the one with the entirely round axle iso the newer lobed one.

Last week I disassembled Neutron Ultra wheel 2007 and Hyperon 2006. The cassette bodies were different. The Neutron was clearly the new design (not round). The Hyperon body was round axle, so the Hyperon 2006 freewheel body did not fit the Neutron 2007 axle! Also the axle and nuts were different on Neutron wheels (seemed lighter to me).

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

5 8 5 wrote:Is there any further info on this?

Still not any wiser other than that I must have opened an older Campy doc at some point as I now notice that as per 2012 all wheels that previously used FH-BO015 now use the newer designation.

Maybe they made some small changes to the seals of the bearings since the advent of the CX range of wheels? Who knows....

Short of buying one we'll probably never know... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Thanks for the update fdegrove. Maybe someone with 2012 wheels can shed some light on it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com