Help me choose my new equipment! Power- Wheels- FUJI Frame!?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bformanes

by bformanes

Hello Weenies;

So I'm looking to start my upgrades to better equipment.
I can't decide between the FUJI SST or FUJI Altamira; I might be going to a college near the mountains in NC so the Altamira's low weight sounds like it would be the best bet for me, however its also less aero and stiff than the SST- and I'm definitely more of a sprinter//time trialist than a climber. Which is why the SST would be nice. Geometry isn't much of an issue on either frame.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has ridden either or.. thanks. They'll be outfitted with SRAM RED 2012.

Now the fun part; I dont know wither to get aero wheels; either the Bontrager Aeolus 5 D3 Clinchers or get the SRAM RED QUARQ Powermeter.

So; SST or Altamira?

Power meter or Aero wheels?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Murphs

by Murphs

SST PM

bformanes

by bformanes

thanks for the reply- can I ask why ?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Because if you're interested in a Powermeter then hopefully you'll know it will do more for your riding than a flashier frame, grouppo or wheelset could possibly do.

bformanes

by bformanes

Tinea Pedis wrote:Because if you're interested in a Powermeter then hopefully you'll know it will do more for your riding than a flashier frame, grouppo or wheelset could possibly do.

of course; I realize the power meter will be 2x more effective than other nice equipment in my performance... Which is why I'm considering it over everything else, but its still a hard decision, no matter what its a pretty penny and I know a wheelset will be used to its full purpose; a powermeter could just end up a fancy speedometer..

HillRPete

by HillRPete

It depends on how you are racing and training. If you want to do TTs on your bike, I'd go for the SST, otherwise the Altamira.
If you have a coach (who is working with you in making actual use of the PM), or are really into making training plans (and sticking to them) yourself, then it might be worthwile.

Personally I'd go Altamira/Bontrager and a Shimano WH-R500 (or whatever budget wheels you have/find) for bad weather, because that will give you the best ride.

jdp211

by jdp211

No advice about the frame, but definitely power meter over wheels. A PM will make you way faster than any wheels can, hypocrite that I am with aero wheels and no PM.

clarkson

by clarkson

Every previous answer is perfectly stated:

A power meter used properly has the potential to make you dramatically faster. However, if you don't know what to do with it, and have no interest in learning, then it will be wasted.
Aero wheels will make a mild improvement, and look good, but they aren't going to make a nearly the same potential contribution toward making a faster rider.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

if you want the Altamira I saw Colorado cyclist have the Geox version with a good discount... it seems no one wants to be sporting the Geox frame.. They call it S.E.

I don't think the Geox team ride the exact frame because the fork is called 440 indicating around 440g and seems like it is a bit heavy. But if it can win the '11 Vuelta.. stage 15 was a very good race last year, if it doesn't inspire you to buy it will inspire you to ride!

darkblue08

by darkblue08

I would buy neither. You can get a power2max powermeter cheaper and I have seen big problems with Bontrager wheels, specially the breaking surface that failed on first descent from a mountain. In one week I saw 4 faulty bontrager. Only one none Bontrager wheel where faulty ( broken spoke ).
I would go for the cheaper powermeter then maybe find the money for a highprofile wheels in a year or two. The feeling of riding a good set of wheels is fantastic. I understand why you are torn.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The only criticisms that I've heard about the P2M powermeter is the inconsistency during a recent test/comparison to other powermeters.

They do make one for Lightning cranks. That's nice. :twisted:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

bformanes

by bformanes

The GEOX Frame is great and I have several riding buddies sporting it, I wouldn't mind, but I'd go for the Altamira 1.0 or limited edition, the frame is slick and will match my club, and collegiate, cycling kits better than the extremely loud GEOX frame.

Also- they'd be riding the 330 fork on the D6 carbon frame... I definitely enjoyed that race man, Cobo's defense of the red jersey was nothing less than phenomenal.

bformanes

by bformanes

darkblue08 wrote:I would buy neither. You can get a power2max powermeter cheaper and I have seen big problems with Bontrager wheels, specially the breaking surface that failed on first descent from a mountain. In one week I saw 4 faulty bontrager. Only one none Bontrager wheel where faulty ( broken spoke ).
I would go for the cheaper powermeter then maybe find the money for a highprofile wheels in a year or two. The feeling of riding a good set of wheels is fantastic. I understand why you are torn.

Have you tested the new bontragers? Maybe I'll change it out for Zipp 404s instead or the ENVE 3.4 Carbon Clinchers if the braking is that bad.. But I'm definitely not going with power2max, if I were to go with that I'd go with a powertap hub instead. Why? ----
prendrefeu wrote:The only criticisms that I've heard about the P2M powermeter is the inconsistency during a recent test/comparison to other powermeters.

They do make one for Lightning cranks. That's nice. :twisted:

Powertaps are reliable, and are "lighter" than the competition. Or perhaps even the soon to be released pedal based units. I like the Aesthetics of the Quarq RED, and the beauty of the grouppo as a whole is also quite beautiful. I'm pretty set on the Quarq RED, I'm all for integration. Haha

mjduct

by mjduct

I thought this thread was going to be a new bike just released by Fuji that looked like this:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I have a quarq and I love it; got it at the beginning of the year and it was a great choice. Gives great perspective into your strengths and weaknesses as well as helping pace and train more efficiently.