Cleaning Lizard Skins bartape?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Ride in the rain with no gloves. That cleaned my old dsp tape better then anything.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

blcknspo0ln

by blcknspo0ln

I just went outside and cleaned my white DSP's with some simple green. I just sprayed it on and let it soak for a min. Not as white as new, but good enough... until I ride again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

Here's a short update. I gave up! Nothing seems to be able to clean this tape! Yes it gets cleaner, but NO way near clean...

I think the primary problem is, that when the rubbery surface of the tape gets worn, it soaks up dust and dirt WAY to easy.

Well I like the feel of the tape, but that's about it. After 1000 km. of use it already looked a bit worn, and it's impossible to clean: Not the best experience I am afraid.

Krzysio
in the industry

by Krzysio

Guerdi wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:12 pm
I have had good luck with Cif cream, hot water and a brush or green side of a sponge if it's really dirty.

I had the same problem with my red one. Tried Cif as you advised, not using any scouring pad or brush. Only flossy white cloth. It took me only few seconds to make the tape perfectly clean. And red cloth :shock: . I mean exactly proper perfect RED.

Zero7

by Zero7

LarsEjaas wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:26 pm
Here's a short update. I gave up! Nothing seems to be able to clean this tape! Yes it gets cleaner, but NO way near clean...

I think the primary problem is, that when the rubbery surface of the tape gets worn, it soaks up dust and dirt WAY to easy.

Well I like the feel of the tape, but that's about it. After 1000 km. of use it already looked a bit worn, and it's impossible to clean: Not the best experience I am afraid.
Other colors of lizard skin does not clean up good either

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I have lizard skins and yes they don't cleanup well. Even worse is when they get wet due to sweat or rain it is too slippery to handle. It is only a dry weather and no sweaty palm handlebar tape

synchronicity

by synchronicity

You could try methanol! :twisted:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.