Tell me about BB30/Press Fit BB30

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

about the cannondale srm pf30 giving extra space for wires, keep in mind that you will then have a rotating spindle exposed to the wires. youre better off squeezing the wires by the center sleeve of a standard pf30 than having the wires drag on the spindle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

On a sort of related topic I've been using BB30 cranks for many years and am about to receive a frame with a Sram Pressfit 30 bottom bracket to which I'm going to fit my Hollogram chain set, what parts if any will I need to use with the Pressfit BB, bearing shields, shims, wave washer?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

literider

by literider

You'll need the redesigned EVO Hollowgram Spider Lockring to make Hollowgrams work with PF30.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Isn't that only the case if I'm running a SRM spider?
Ti or dye!

literider

by literider

The PF30 cups require the EVO spider, SRM or not.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Ok, can someone tell me why? Is it possible to adapt a standard spider and/or locking. As far as I can workout it seems that the Sram PF30 BB drive side bearing is inset into the BB so as to cause the locking ring/spider to contact the cup? Can I dremel the lock ring or the spider? Anybody done this, have experience of this? I don't really want to have to go out and buy expensive parts if its unnecessary :( Oh and I'm using standard gearing not compact. Its for a frame I have coming thats has a Sram PF30 already fitted so I just want to have everything in place for a quick build.
Ti or dye!

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The lockring is easy- even a hand file can adapt it in less than 5min. The spider is more of a pain, and will look crappy in the end (although it's on the back). But yes, it's totally doable.

ms6073

by ms6073

CAADHEAD wrote:Ok, can someone tell me why?

It has to do with the width of the lip of the plastic cups when pressed into the frame as the 'flanges' on the SRAM PF30 plastic bottom bracket shell are a bit wide (FSA's is a tiny bit thinner), causing the spider to contact the shell of the PF30 assembly before proper torque is achieved.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

So do I also need to use the spacers and wavy washer that I use on my BB30 install?
Ti or dye!

ms6073

by ms6073

Yes, spacers and wave spring washer are still required.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

styrrell

by styrrell

I used the sram PF cups and sanded the lip of the cup a bit and the lockring a bit. Worked fine.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Ah now thats more like it 8)
Ti or dye!

MnCannon

by MnCannon

BB30 is a Cannondale design standard. Other companies besides Cannondale make BB30 cranksets. Campagnolo took their previous threaded cup designed crank arms and adapted them to work in a BB30. The vertical leverage that takes place on a real BB30 is within the bottom bracket shell where the crank spindle meets the bearings. A Campagnolo crankset which has taken a short cut by eliminating the need to re-tool for the new crank standard and chose to adapt their crank to work with the BB30. This places the bearings outside the frame which places the vertical leverage out further than true BB30 and without the support of the bottom bracket shell to counteract or resist movement. I own 2 BB30 bikes with BB30 cranks. One is carbon and one is aluminum. Neither bike makes a noise. I field several calls as a representative for a frame manufacturer which uses BB30 in their bikes. If the call begins with someone complaining about creaks I immediately assume Campagnolo and ask them which model of Campagnolo they are using. I have yet to be wrong. I am not trying to enrage the Campagnolo lovers, but simply stating the facts as I know them. I would prefer that Campagnolo address the problem so that I did not have to continually talk people out of their view which they hold tightly to that something must be wrong with the frame.

BB30 does not use cups. Campagnolo when used with BB30 as per Campy design uses cups. Other companies make adapters.

An adapter or adaptor is a device that converts attributes of one device or system to those of an otherwise incompatible device or system.