How I know that Assos is a total rip.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

billspreston

by billspreston

I've seen it. Above Category has custom Assos jerseys. I would just contact Assos directly and ask what they can do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

Assos shorts.

Curious if Assos shorts get the bare/thin spots in the back right where the shorts sit on the corners of the saddle like most/all bicycle shorts get after use. Some shorts develop the bare spots quicker than others.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Can we move this thread to Cycle-Chat? Does not seem to have much value added to Road and lightweight bikes and parts.

@bones - you have some obvious issues with Assos, but I think it might be more about your own insecurities and what type of rider you perceive as an "Assos rider". FWIW, I have owned 2 pair of Pearl Izumi bibs in my time and they were both awful in terms of the chamois. But I'm not starting a thread to hate on cyclists who wear PI. Real rider - yeah, that might be me....riding in all weather every year for 20+ years, cat 1, etc, etc. But who am I to judge?

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

This seems like a pretty silly thread, but just can't resist putting in my two cents.

I like things that fit, are comfortable, stylish and stand the test of time.

Example: I tried many different types of dress shoes, including several models of Cole Hanes and now I almost exclusively wear Ferragamos. Expensive, you betcha. Worth it - every last cent. Ever been to a trade show, walking all day in a pair of shoes that just don't quite fit right to your foot - nasty. And my first Ferragammos were purchased two decades ago and I've had them resoled 3x already. Still look great and they'll likely outlast me.

As to Assos, I've tried about every bit of cycling clothing out there except for Rapha (seems like their pitching to posers) and Assos is definitely one of the best fitting, best styled, most comfortable gear I wear. Best piece of cycling clothing I ever bought (some 16+yrs ago) is my Assos 851 winter jacket - nothing has ever come close to the fit, comfort and warmth of the 851. Also have a pair of those rouboix (sp) knockers that are ~20yrs old. Falling apart - yes but still the best knickers out there, bar-none, at least for this tall skinny rider up here in New England
It only hurts if you think.

kgt

by kgt

Assos is at the very top of cycling clothing. End of story.

Liggero

by Liggero

assos prices are definitely way too high... i´m sure they are good, otherwise people is not stupid. Still I think there are better and worse shorts, but it really depends... what is the retail price for the cheapest assos bib shorts?
Happy Trails !!!

mrfish

by mrfish

Glad to hear it. Long live personal choice.

Personally I like the fact that unlike other so-called top-end brands, the stitching does what it's supposed to do and lasts until the fabric wears through. But the prices are outrageous and the waffle padded green insert in the shorts is rubbish.

Some people race on bikes that cost a less than rrp of a top-end all-Assos outfit. And that's just a summer outfit! So now here's an interesting weight weenie challenge: Build a sub-6.8kg bike with new parts for less than the cost of an Assos outfit. Just choose the note down the bike parts, clothing, weight and cost.

kman

by kman

SL58 wrote:You just haven't tried XC skiing specific stuff from CRAFT of Sweden.

Can anyone suggest a good onlline retailer for Craft who ships internationally? Coming into winter soon enough here in Oz and I don't think its a brand we see down here.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

kman

by kman

bones wrote:I am on my 2nd wife, and possibly 3rd coming up soon, but I still have the one pair of Assos that I bought back in the 80s!

LMAO, I like your forward-thinking attitude.

Back to Assos, I've been too scared to spend the money and try them out. A few years ago now I paid good money for some Castelli bib knicks. The chamois is shit, the cut is shit and they are not at all comfortable so they sit in the bottom of the drawer. I've got cheapo Nalini's that are better. I've always been happy with Giordana and DeMarchi.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

Greg66

by Greg66

Oh dear!

A poor person has stumbled in!

Stone him!

kman

by kman

Hahaha. Good post. :D
-- Frank Zappa

me

by me

PBK do Craft

aermet

by aermet

I've spent the last couple of decades in a lot of team kit and have had the opportunity to have ridden many brands.

A few years ago, a buddy of mine who was an assos rep turned me on to a pair of bibs. Since then, unless I have to be in team kit, I ride exclusively in my assos shorts. I have since purchased about 6 pair of assos bibs. I've got them from the Unos up to the top of the line FI 13's. For me, nothing else is as good overall.

Chamois on the latest high end castellis are fantastic and not far behind the assos but the fabric stretches out in 2 rides and just doesn't fit the same.

The FI unos are the bargain of the assos line. FI 13's have a slimmer and slightly better fit for me, but chamois and comfort of the unos are 98% of the top of the line.

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

bones wrote:Aha! You see! It's true! Assos is overpriced. It's just a sales tactic really. Go into any furniture store. There are always sales. The full retail price is NEVER the actual real price. It is just some wildly over-inflated price to give the buyer the illusion that he is getting an awesome, great, sales deal when he is buying something half off. When in reality, the half-off price is probably the actual intended price to begin with.

This seems to come a lot around here... just what do you think the mark-ups are? You do realize that when a retailer has a sale on apparel, they are likely making very little to no money. And if it's the manufacturers that are raking in the dough... how much per yard do you think their fabrics cost? amount of fabrics needed per garment? manufacturing costs? A lot of people seem to think that clothing has a super high mark-up. It's not true... many times manufacturers are actually making LESS mark-up than they should and/or need to to make their 10% profitability just to keep the retail price where they want it to be.

So when you see your assos at half price, keep in mind that it's likely that the retailer is JUST braking even and that cost is probably less than 2x the cost of actually manufacturing the garment.

my couple of pennies' worth...
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671