which hub is best for triplet lacing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dieselgeezer

by dieselgeezer

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which DS/NDS offset dimensions to look for when choosing a hub suitable for 16/8 triplet lacing? I don't mind if it's a 32 hole & I just use 8 of the NDS.
Also, how would a triplet wheel compare in lateral stiffness to a 'normal' 24 hole laced the same way?

Thanks for your time

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Troy had the best triplet hub. The left flange was further out than any standard hub (over 40mm IIRC). With the right flange geometry, this pattern can be laterally stiffer than a conventional lacing. The Tune hub has a left flange spacing that is higher than most. To help recover some of the lost lateral stiffness of my triplet wheel (Tune hub), I used Sapim Race spokes on the left side (CX-Rays on the right). It is a very solid setup.

I will be rebuilding that wheelset to some old Enve (Edge Composites) 24mm rims that I have laying around. Just ordered a gold Mig 70 to match.

Mackers

by Mackers

Bitex have a decent hub, and it does come in a 8:16 drilling.

TCx

by TCx

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are benefits or otherwise of triplet lacing / spoke patterns? :noidea:

dieselgeezer

by dieselgeezer

Hi Ergott,
By Race on the left, do you mean NDS? I always imagined the stiffer spoke to be on the DS, not the NDS. How does that work?

bricky21

by bricky21

There is an issue of possibly not having enough lateral stiffness since you now have 4 less spokes on the NDS, and if the hub doesn't have the kind of spacing we saw on the ligero. The larger spokes help to cope with that. The DS now has 4 more spokes to help carry the radial load which is why it makes sense to use the light spokes on that side. I think the ORC(campagnolo) has the best spacing for 2:1 lacing of all the currently available standard hubs I've looked at. The next rear wheel I'll build will be ORC (campagnolo) kinlin xr-300 2:1, and at a later time I'll be able to reuse the hub for a 32 hole nemesis build.

thprice

by thprice

Why not use a purpose drilled (16 DS : 8 NDS) hub from BikeHubStore?
http://www.bikehubstore.com/SuperLight-211-p/sl211.htm

Mackers

by Mackers

That is a Bitex hub

ergott

by ergott

Those aren't purpose built triplet hubs. They are standard hubs with triplet drilling. The Ligero triplet specific hub had a center to left flange distance of 49mm which is over 11mm further out than that hub. That's what helps gain back the lateral stiffness lost when you take away spokes from the left side.

The benefit of that triplet hub is that spokes are more even in tension from left to right. With a standard hub, you have almost even tension since it's usually half with a traditional pattern (same amount of spokes on each side). You do lose lateral stiffness as a result. With a triplet specific hub you increase the flange distance enough to gain back the lost lateral stiffness to the point that a triplet build with one will be laterally stiffer than a traditional pattern. The tension for the left side spokes is still higher so there is less chance of those spokes going slack. I did the best I could with the Tune hub which as I said before has a relatively large center to left flange measurement at 38mm. With all the elbows out and using heavier gauge spokes, I improved things to the point that that build is laterally stiffer than a 24 spoke rear and closer to a 28 spoke rear wheel.

roca rule

by roca rule

i am not really sure, but i do believe that hubs from soul bike were made for triplet. i might be wrong, but they are lightish.

khaostik

by khaostik

No..
Soul bike refuses to do the drilling of their hub to triplet... like it is now (24h 12/12) it's just a poor design with 1/3 tension ratio.

Regards,

FD

feepish

by feepish

Before the Alchemy orc came out, there was talk about an orc for triplet lacing.

It has been 2+ years. Is a triplet orc in the works? Has anybody heard anything recently?

Maybe with Shimano making a triplet wheel (protos in pictures), there will be more interest in aftermarket hubs for triplet lacing.

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

The ORC is already available with a triplet drilling. You would have to wait for a long time though.
This is, in my opinion, one of the best hub for triplet lacing.
Overall design and geometry are second to none.

We built a set 1.5 years ago with our AC2:1 spoking, non drive side DT Competition 2.0/1.8 spokes with heads in for maximal stiffness and DT Aerolite 2.0/2.3-0.9/2.0 spokes drive side.
Although the heads of the NDS spokes were in, we almost had even spokes tensions on both sides of the wheel.
Lateral stiffness of the wheel built with XR300 was identical to a Lightweight Standard 3.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi All, has anyone done this with a BHS SuperLight 211 16:8 Rear Hub ... http://www.bikehubstore.com/SuperLight-211-p/sl211.htm ... BHS C472w 24H Clincher Rim 23mm wide ... http://www.bikehubstore.com/C472w-p/c472w.htm ... and Sapim X- Ray spokes ... thanks

roca rule

by roca rule

I have
Used bhs hub with xr300 and they seem to ride fine.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com