SS EVO 2 Red Wheelset Recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mre1208

by mre1208

sooo, as a result of an accident, I'm in a position to buy a new bike. I'm almost 100% certain that I'll be ordering a Cannondale SS EVO 2 Red build--they come with the Ksyrium Elites, which seem nice, but I still have my set of Easton EA90 SLX's from the old bike, and it looks like I can pull around $600-650 USD from the ksyriums...If I were to sell them in that ballpark range, I'd be open to add $400-500 on top for a set of carbon clinchers. I figure that's a fair budget to spend on a decent carbon set, but I was wondering if anybody had any personal experience with wheelsets on an EVO build. I'm a mid-size rider-- 5'5, around 160-165 lbs., and I seem to feel better between 40-60 mm depth. Also, would I be best suited to sell the Ksyriums as planned, or does anybody think that I should keep those and sell the EA90 SLX's (2010). I'll quit rambling and listen...haha. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andyindo

by andyindo

Why not get a light wheelset rather?Carbon clinchers are nice but generally not that light. You have a superlight bike, may as well get some light wheels like a custom set of Stans Alpha 340 or Kinlins rims.

xyzgeoman

by xyzgeoman

I'm in process with that same build. I went with Stans Alpha team for training. I hear they're good for sealing up smaller holes.I like that idea, though I'm not a regular flatter anyway. But i like the peace of mind. They ride very well. Race wheels will be DT Swiss425/525 tubs.
I just need a bar and saddle thatfit me better and I'm rollin'.

motorthings

by motorthings

Another wheelset that is comparably pretty aero, and avaialable used at pretty good prices are the Dura Ace 7850 carbon/al clincher or the newer 7900. They are specced at 1380g for the set, have DA hubs (which are amazing), are durable, and have a great ride quality.

There is also a scandium DA wheelset that is tubeless compatible, but I believe they are heaver.

The 7900's just came out, so you can find pretty good deals on the 7850's new or used.