Sticky 7900 Shifter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Odd problem with my right shifter, but it came after riding in some rain so it could be related.

Bike shifts perfect in all gears, but the two cog upshift does not work from the 21->25 (basically from my 3rd largest to largest cog). It almost feels as if it does not engage and the chain falls back down. If I go 1 at a time it works fine.

Anyone think its worth pulling the lever apart and cleaning or had this problem before? I was thinking of doing so, but its a bit of a PITA so I wanted to double check before i did it
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

im pretty sure that is normal.

hillierious

by hillierious

I've had similar issues with older STI shifters (9speed ultegra, etc.). The first thing I do is degrease and then relube (I use triflow, love that stuff and it smells good too). If it works, great, problem solved. If it doesn't, I check the derailleur adjustment settings, especially the low end limit screw in your case. It seems ridiculous but if its dialled in just a bit too close it works fine under single shifts but as soon as you go for a double it jumps up and then back down. Hope you get it all sorted out.

redoaker

by redoaker

KWalker wrote:Anyone think its worth pulling the lever apart and cleaning or had this problem before? I was thinking of doing so, but its a bit of a PITA so I wanted to double check before i did it

Are you saying that in the past you have pulled the BLADE off this shifter and gone into the 'guts' of the mechanism?

KWalker

by KWalker

I have, and it sucks. It really, really sucks. You can't fully disassemble it, but you can partially and it takes quite a while.

I checked the limit screws and its super close to going into the spokes on the up shift. This never happened before on either of my last two bikes so its weird that it started with this one. I'll just clean it out and see what pops up I guess.

I put two brand new 7900 bikes in a stand the other day and neither of em did this so I'm 100% sure its not normal.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

redoaker

by redoaker

I put two brand new 7900 bikes in a stand the other day and neither of em did this so I'm 100% sure its not normal.

KWalker wrote:I have, and it sucks. It really, really sucks. You can't fully disassemble it, but you can partially and it takes quite a while.

You have (2) NEW 7900 bikes at your disposal, sounds like you work in a shop.

So you took it apart. Shimano has always advised everyone, including shop techs to not pull those shifters apart. The shift mechanism under the blade is put together by an automated machine and there is NO way a person can get it back in the correct configuration.

KWalker

by KWalker

I have pulled a 7900 shifter SLIGHTLY apart before. It was also on the warranty shelf, and would no longer be used.

I used to work at a shop, and yes we have two new bikes sitting there just built up to compare to.

This shifter has never been apart. At most I'd take the access plate off just to get a q tip in there to clean off the ratchet a bit better.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

mrfish

by mrfish

Send the shifter back to Shimano - there is a common issue that if you downshift from 8th gear to 10th in one swipe, the chain falls back to 9th. Single shifts from 9th to 10th work fine. I think it only affected the first release of 7900 shifters. Mine took a few weeks but was warrantied without any issues.

KWalker

by KWalker

Word. I don't have a spare bike so its kind of an issue.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

How old is the cable? Any chance it's starting to fray inside the shifter and stretching or jamming?

redoaker

by redoaker

I have had bad shifting develop slowly over time. I never suspected the cable was fraying inside the housing.
Finally took the housing off and there it was, a frayed cable. Happened right were it exits the shifter body.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Have had this happen before but with old sticky ultegra shifter (6500) with 30000km on the clock. WD40 squirted up the guts followed by lots of shifting. Wipe what drips out with a cloth. Repeat to make sure any grit/old grease is purged. Wipe again and off you go. Probably not brilliant for all of the special internal grease that they use in the shifters.

Could also be grit in your limiter mechanism on your RD.

Cheers,
I

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com