50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm ordering a set of 50mm clincher wheels and 38mm clincher rims today :thumbup:

cep111

by cep111

Came up earlier in the thread about using 60mm valve stems would work on the 50mm wheels. Did anyone confirm that they would in fact work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andyindo

by andyindo

cep111 wrote:Came up earlier in the thread about using 60mm valve stems would work on the 50mm wheels. Did anyone confirm that they would in fact work?

I dont see why they wouldnt....

cep111

by cep111

Before I send my money off I had a friend who loaned me his Trigon 58mm Tubulars with Tofu tires this morning for a 60 miles ride with my buddies. I was expecting more speed, somewhat hilly route with lots of wind. I ended up riding off the back, They seemed like I was riding in sand all day. I had guessed that Trigon uses similar 58mm rims and hubs as these guys and they are reasonably light. I had come to the conclusion that the tires were harder to roll than my old stand by Conti 4000's. Down hills all my friends rolled by me with there Ksyriums SL's and such. Brakes were not rubbing and bearings felt smooth. Any thoughts?

BmanX

by BmanX

I think this has more to do with you riding the slowest tires in the world then the wheels themselves. The Conti 4000s tires are not that bad espcially if you are running latex tubes as well.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

cep111 wrote:Before I send my money off I had a friend who loaned me his Trigon 58mm Tubulars with Tofu tires this morning for a 60 miles ride with my buddies. I was expecting more speed, somewhat hilly route with lots of wind. I ended up riding off the back, They seemed like I was riding in sand all day. I had guessed that Trigon uses similar 58mm rims and hubs as these guys and they are reasonably light. I had come to the conclusion that the tires were harder to roll than my old stand by Conti 4000's. Down hills all my friends rolled by me with there Ksyriums SL's and such. Brakes were not rubbing and bearings felt smooth. Any thoughts?

Tufos suck. :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

BmanX

by BmanX

Doesn't the saying go "friends don't let friends ride TOFU's"

So what type of friend lets his buddy ride tofus while trying to judge a set of wheels.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

cep111

by cep111

Here is a good read

http://rouesartisanales.over-blog.com/a ... 03651.html

Well, It sounds like it's the tires probably 30 watts difference between the Vittoria Evo and the Tufo. ! I'm trying his clincher version next tuesday with the 320tpi Vittoria's.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

Here is another review now that I have 500+ miles on these wheels, and ill try to answer some of the questions I have got.

As for the ride: The wheels came out of the box nice and straight and are still good, no need to true them. I am still most impressed with the stiffness, I have got to do a couple climbs and when you stand up and hammer they just go. I did get caught out in the rain for the last 5+/- miles on a ride, and was pleasantly surprised that braking was not diminished. The blue brake pads that came with the wheels are soft which helps with braking power, but they are going to wear out fairly fast but that’s no big deal. The Bitex hubs are super smooth really roll nice. I have had questions about the other hubs they sell these with and I have no experience with any of them. I do not think I even mentioned them but they came with a set of QRs that weigh 50 grams for both and are pretty nice.

Quality: I gave both the front and rear a close inspection after yesterdays ride. There is no cracking around the spokes and the brake track still looks new. Really they could be boxed up and passed off as new ( I know 500+ miles is not a lot). I will get a picture or two of my brake track but it is smooth with no pinholes like I had seen someone else post.

Also I put tubes with an 80mm valve in these because I was not sure a 60mm valve would have enough for my pump to grab. 80mm valves stick out a lot so I got a couple tubes with 60mm vavles to put in but I have just been lazy and not put them in yet so I am not sure they will work.

I will do another update when I get up around 1000-1500 miles on them, but so far I have been nothing but happy with them.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

Here is a picture of the brake track, it looks like the weave comes down into the matte black but that is just the glare from the picture.

BmanX

by BmanX

I decided not to get these wheels for now but I am thinking about getting the rims, chopping up my second pair of AC Sprint 350 wheels to get the hubs and mate them to a nice set of carbon clinchers.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

eric

by eric

Once you include CXrays it's not much more to buy the built wheels from FarSports. The Bitex hubs aren't any lower quality than AC hubs (I have a set of each) and are arguably better. Not sure about the Hubsmith hubs until I have ridden the wheels some- they look nice but the NDS flange is well inboard so rear wheel stiffness is in question.

I'm doing the same thing but with White H1 hubs I have on a set of Ligero wheels I no longer use. I want the Ti freehub body so I can use a custom individual-cog Ti cassette for long climbing races.

BmanX

by BmanX

Where can you get the hubs on their own?
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Imaking20

by Imaking20

You can get the hubs direct from Bitex for $64 a pair + shipping.

eric

by eric

Or from BikeHubStore in the US.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com