50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

absmith

by absmith

waiting for your updates about brake surface after more rides......

cep111

by cep111

I have a set of Token Carbon/Alloy hubs on the way with matching skewers. May buy a second set of hubs to use with some Kinlin 300's down the road.
TK520TBT A.jpg

Rims: Here is where I decided on for rims (see link) Light-bicycle.com has the best prices, website, and the lowest weights. I think they may be the actual manufacturer but hard to say. I ordered the new light weight 60mm at 455 grams -+ 5g, thye have 410 gram 50's and 370 ram 38's! They had great reviews and lower than advertised weights in some of the other forums.
http://www.light-bicycle.com/road-bikes ... ncher.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pRoto

by pRoto

Ok, I ordered 50mm clinchers 3k matt, sapim cx-ray, hubsmith with ceramic, the guy from china said they will come in 20-25 days..

bruno2000

by bruno2000

caseycycling wrote:Here is a picture of the brake track, it looks like the weave comes down into the matte black but that is just the glare from the picture.

Looks like the same braketrack as on my Xentis Squad 2.5 wheels

pRoto

by pRoto

caseycycling wrote:Here is a picture of the brake track, it looks like the weave comes down into the matte black but that is just the glare from the picture.

This looks like older model of rims, without basalt brake track..

Juice15

by Juice15

Becareful with these!!! Grabbed a pair from far sports ended up at 1320, thought amazing. Pedaled 2000 miles on these bad boys no problem. Was bombing down the ox creek road in Asheville hitting 40+. Started feeling some serious jerking and thought my headset was going. Started to apply the brakes, tired exploded off. Finally got that bad boy to stop and found that the wheel had delaminated around the brake track. Very lucky to survive that day. They sent me their new improved rims as they would not warranty the whole wheel, stated spokes could be reused. Anyone who has built a wheel will tell you that you cannot if you want a strong straight wheel. Buy this set if you are going to use them on flats. Stay away if you do any steep mountain riding!!!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

So were you "bombing at 40+" or were you riding the brakes down a steep hill? I can't imagine how the former would delaminate the brake tracks :noidea:

andyindo

by andyindo

What scares me about these is that as far as I'm aware, no major manufacturer has produced carbon clinchers at this weight. I think theres a reason for that....

Still, if they hold up then cool.

BmanX

by BmanX

EDGE/ENVE used to but their rims are now heavier. My Edge 45 wheelset built up with Sapim CX-Ray spokes and C4 hubs which are lighter than what they are offering come in at 1282g complete with Veloplugs. It is a little suspect.

I am now leaning towards buying some new light weight hubs and using my American Classic Sprint 350 rims with Sapim CX-Ray spokes and going for a light weight aluminum build. Just keep my EDGE 45 build on my Cervelo SLC. I am thinking that the carbon clinchers might not be the best bet.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

asianarnold1

by asianarnold1

Juice15 wrote:Becareful with these!!!

by "these" do you mean the ones pictured above with the 3k brake tracks(FSC50-CP)? Those are now discontinued by FarSports. When i emailed them for a quote, they said that set(fsc50-cp) is discontinued and recommended me the FSC50-CM instead, with the basalt braking surface.

BmanX wrote:I am thinking that the carbon clinchers might not be the best bet.

carbon clinchers have come a long way and are still improving. Last month, i rode with a group of buddies in the hills. One had the 404 firecrest clinchers ~$2000, and another had standard 50mm carbon clinchers from ebay for $500. I ride campy eurus :D That day, we climbed almost 5000ft with two steep descents (46mph on my computer). Both clinchers were squeely and noisy on applying full brakes. But, we all made it back to the parking lot safe. No issues. On one of our rest stops, another rider had 38mm generic CC with asian hubs and the guy weighed in at 190#. Still no issues.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

asianarnold1 wrote:
Juice15 wrote:Becareful with these!!!

by "these" do you mean the ones pictured above with the 3k brake tracks(FSC50-CP)? Those are now discontinued by FarSports. When i emailed them for a quote, they said that set(fsc50-cp) is discontinued and recommended me the FSC50-CM instead, with the basalt braking surface.

BmanX wrote:I am thinking that the carbon clinchers might not be the best bet.

carbon clinchers have come a long way and are still improving. Last month, i rode with a group of buddies in the hills. One had the 404 firecrest clinchers ~$2000, and another had standard 50mm carbon clinchers from ebay for $500. I ride campy eurus :D That day, we climbed almost 5000ft with two steep descents (46mph on my computer). Both clinchers were squeely and noisy on applying full brakes. But, we all made it back to the parking lot safe. No issues. On one of our rest stops, another rider had 38mm generic CC with asian hubs and the guy weighed in at 190#. Still no issues.

So true.....people hear one horror story or another on the interwebs and automatically think their carbon clinchers are going to spontaneously combust.....

As with anything else, a little care and maintenance checks will allow you years of safe use out of most equipment.

BmanX

by BmanX

I own carbon clinchers so I am not worried about riding them at all but since I already have an amazing light pair I just think I would be better serviced by sorting out some lighter aluminum clinchers.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

caseycycling

by caseycycling

These are my safe wheels...The wheels I ride when I feel like being dangerous are my Mavic R-SYS premiums which every one on WW knows explode everytime you ride them. :D

I know there are concerns about carbon clinchers in general with heat dissipation issues, but that is any brand.

Earlier someone mentioned that no other companies are making carbon clinchers this light, Lightweight's clincher is 130+ grams lighter, Enve/Edge clinchers build up lighter, Madfiber's clincher is coming in under 1300grams. I know thats not really comparing apples to apples, but just because these are cheap does not mean they are poor quality or a disaster waiting to happen.

thensley

by thensley

Has anyone received the new and improved wheel (50mm clincher)from Farsport. How about posting a break track picture? Is this the only difference in the wheel?
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milroy

by milroy

caseycycling wrote:Earlier someone mentioned that no other companies are making carbon clinchers this light, Lightweight's clincher is 130+ grams lighter, Enve/Edge clinchers build up lighter, Madfiber's clincher is coming in under 1300grams. I know thats not really comparing apples to apples, but just because these are cheap does not mean they are poor quality or a disaster waiting to happen.

Not really. ENVE strengthened their 45 clinchers a while back which resulted in a heavier rim (I've had both). My current set of 45's with a 20/24 bulid on DT hubs are 672/803g.

Lightweight and Madfibre are each of a completely different construction so as you say, are not comparable. I think the original statement is correct.

I would agree that the trend for the fat profiles in the current Zipp FC line (and presumably the forthcoming ENVE Smart clinchers) adds a significant amount of mass over the v shaped rims like the 45's.