Where is new SRAM Red?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mfa81 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:05 pm
anyone thinking going to a 160mm crank? I'm currently riding 165 on 3 bikes, thinking of going 160mm on a new bike build, not that expensive of a mistake if I change my mind later I guess, would I feel weird? This would be my only road/pavement bike, I have 2 other mtbs and a gravel bike all 165mm, but I'm really short with a 29" inseam and 5'5"

I ordered 160mm cranks to go with my groupset. I’m 5’10” with a 32” inseam. I’ve played with 140mm and 155mm cranks as well. Only you can decide if they feel weird. And they might only feel weird under certain conditions like out-of-saddle efforts.

nns91

by nns91

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/sram ... oduct-info

Is this the first real indication/confirmation that there will be a 13 speed 1x version of SRAM Red?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

the sram 1x13 explorer pics were posted on WW several months ago. please use the search button.

nns91 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:48 am

Is this the first real indication/confirmation that there will be a 13 speed 1x version of SRAM Red?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

I assume the above poster means in terms of public information, not some leaked renders.

nns91

by nns91

Yes, sorry. I am fully aware of the leaked photos/rumors. Didn't know that it has been confirmed so when seeing it on competitive cyclist, I was a bit surprised. Sorry for the overlook

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

nns91 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:48 am

Thanks for sharing this is a solid contribution.

The 13 speed UDH photos I saw awhile ago are very low res so its hard to confirm if it was 12s or 13s.

This chainring isnt direct proof but adds more indication that 13s UDH is more likely than not.

TLN

by TLN

Lina wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:36 pm
Oh well. A lot of people make the use of DOT fluid a big dealbreaker and make it seem anytime you do anything to the bike the entire bike and your garage/apartment will be covered in the stuff. When in reality you have to actively try to spill stuff while bleeding to get any spills. In reality it doesn't really matter and has some benefits over mineral oil. And mineral oil has some benefits. But some people act as if mineral oil is God's gift to braking without any issues.

I suspect that they will move away from it if they ever make a big update that is no longer backwards compatible. However the backwards compatibility and ecosystem is a huge draw for SRAM right now. And even if they go to 13 speed stuff in the future it'd be trivial to make the levers be backwards compatible with current derailleurs and only work in 12 speed mode even if they're using the new levers.
Sram is startin move to mineral oil:
First it was cheap DB8 brakes (100$/pop). Mostly recreational riders. Advanced riders are on Level/Codes.
Second it was Mavens just now: another end of range: Overbuild brakes for DH and E-Bikes. Notice that cables were upgraded (stealth to maven)

It makes sense to keep compatability where it matters most: road riders, since levers and shifters are integrated.

I can imagine we'll see some MTB update with mineral oil with new Levels/Codes next year and then full range of road stuff running mineral with shape similar to latest RED.

Personally, I've just sold my Mavens and got another set of codes on sale to keep all bikes on DOT. I have no issues with that.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

carbocation

by carbocation

TLN wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:14 am
Lina wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:36 pm
Oh well. A lot of people make the use of DOT fluid a big dealbreaker and make it seem anytime you do anything to the bike the entire bike and your garage/apartment will be covered in the stuff. When in reality you have to actively try to spill stuff while bleeding to get any spills. In reality it doesn't really matter and has some benefits over mineral oil. And mineral oil has some benefits. But some people act as if mineral oil is God's gift to braking without any issues.

I suspect that they will move away from it if they ever make a big update that is no longer backwards compatible. However the backwards compatibility and ecosystem is a huge draw for SRAM right now. And even if they go to 13 speed stuff in the future it'd be trivial to make the levers be backwards compatible with current derailleurs and only work in 12 speed mode even if they're using the new levers.
Sram is startin move to mineral oil:
First it was cheap DB8 brakes (100$/pop). Mostly recreational riders. Advanced riders are on Level/Codes.
Second it was Mavens just now: another end of range: Overbuild brakes for DH and E-Bikes. Notice that cables were upgraded (stealth to maven)

It makes sense to keep compatability where it matters most: road riders, since levers and shifters are integrated.

I can imagine we'll see some MTB update with mineral oil with new Levels/Codes next year and then full range of road stuff running mineral with shape similar to latest RED.

Personally, I've just sold my Mavens and got another set of codes on sale to keep all bikes on DOT. I have no issues with that.
Dave Rome talked to the SRAM engineers on the escape collective (can't remember what they now call the nerd alert podcast - geek warning?) about moving to mineral oil. They admitted that they were hedging their answer because they didn't have a plan yet for the road. My interpretation of what they said is that one of the features of AXS is backwards compatibility and this generation wasn't the one where they wanted to nuke that.

My take is that next gen of Red will be when they nuke the backwards compatibility and potentially reset the platform. I agree that they seem like they're moving to mineral oil, but the battery tech has changed a lot since implementation. While companies talk about caring about mechanics, I think integrated systems show they don't care about them compared to the user experience/look/feel. SRAM don't seem like they want to release a new battery standard every few years (their charger still uses micro USB) - not even a smaller/denser version of their current battery with the same connection. I'm not sure when their patent runs out but they'll have to be ready when everyone comes at them with newer / smaller swappable batteries. Their batteries are something like 300mAh and current AA batteries are sitting at like 10x that. If they're hunting for weight, each battery is 25g, I'm sure they could have gotten 20g out of 2 of them, must be a reason . . .

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Just offer a service kit including new seals suited for mineral oil for the old calipers and move on. Not really a big problem.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Ronin416 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:18 pm
Can someone here help me out with the weight of the new Red caliper “only” please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to a short video from David Arthur,
The shifter is 201, tha caliper and hose with adapter is 143.

In some other it's higher like 152 or so.
So you have to subtract for the brake hose.
Cc Cache had them both with shifters and calipers around 320
Attachments
Screenshot_2024-05-22-08-14-46-77_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
Screenshot_2024-05-22-08-14-36-49_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

carbocation wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:57 pm
Their batteries are something like 300mAh and current AA batteries are sitting at like 10x that. If they're hunting for weight, each battery is 25g, I'm sure they could have gotten 20g out of 2 of them, must be a reason . . .

LSD NiMH AAs are around 2000mAh and have a nominal voltage of 1.2V. AXS battery enclosures protect the cells from weather and from impacts. AXS batteries are also 7.4V.

nullptr

by nullptr

I've just bought a Force D2 Quarq directmount chainring off ebay, which has the same weight as the new Red E1.
And since there is also some discount going on with the new Red, I got myself the new 165mm crankarm with some titan bolts from aliexpress for 720€ total (Red E1 is 1337€). It should end up at 584g and I much prefer the black-out look of this combo. Quite nice that there are finally some short crank options available.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 1:27 pm
carbocation wrote:
Their batteries are something like 300mAh and current AA batteries are sitting at like 10x that. If they're hunting for weight, each battery is 25g, I'm sure they could have gotten 20g out of 2 of them, must be a reason . . .
LSD NiMH AAs are around 2000mAh and have a nominal voltage of 1.2V. AXS battery enclosures protect the cells from weather and from impacts. AXS batteries are also 7.4V.
Currently AXS batteries are around 25g each. There are lower capacity alternatives out there that are around 15g each.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QSGVX5J

https://youtu.be/C808YbeqXx0?t=405

I dont ride AXS so I havent looked into it further than knowing they exist.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

OtterSpace wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:39 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 1:27 pm
carbocation wrote:
Currently AXS batteries are around 25g each. There are lower capacity alternatives out there that are around 15g each.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QSGVX5J

https://youtu.be/C808YbeqXx0?t=405

I dont ride AXS so I havent looked into it further than knowing they exist.

AFAIK, official AXS batteries use 2x602025s while those smaller off-brand batteries use 2x601025s.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 4:54 am
AFAIK, official AXS batteries use 2x602025s while those smaller off-brand batteries use 2x601025s.
Makes sense solid info to share.

From a quick google using your specific info, for idiots like me who dont know battery codes, AXS uses two 3.7V 250mAh while the off-brands use two 3.7V 110mAh.

There is always some risk to using non OEM batteries that everyone should individually assess. This isnt super high voltage, capacity, or drain, like an ebike battery so personally I would be fine giving it a go if I had AXS and was fine charging more often.

However I dont see any additional value from a carbon fiber shell here other than bling as the weights look similar to the plastic enclosure batteries using similar, or the same, size cells.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com