sram vs trp rim brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cavicchia9119

by cavicchia9119

i am in the process of building a rim brake bike and have the choice between two cailbers however ive never ridden either and not sure which to choose. they are either sram force 22 calibers or trp t980. i will be using carbon rims. and before there are any other suggestiongs for different calibers, i am building this bike on a budget and these are the two i have access to and will not be buying any others. any help deciding between these two would be greatly appreiacted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevesbike

by stevesbike

The TRP you mention are direct mount, the force isn't, so whatever is compatible with your frame. Otherwise, if your shifters are sram I would just stick with the Force re cable pull etc.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

cavicchia9119 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 6:03 pm
i am in the process of building a rim brake bike and have the choice between two cailbers however ive never ridden either and not sure which to choose. they are either sram force 22 calibers or trp t980. i will be using carbon rims. and before there are any other suggestiongs for different calibers, i am building this bike on a budget and these are the two i have access to and will not be buying any others. any help deciding between these two would be greatly appreiacted.
The lightest that is also really good, would be EE (cane creek) brakes. But they are very expensive!
I have used them with Etap gen1 and lately with AXS (both Red which shouldn't matter really).
Would i recommend them, yes, if you plan to keep your rim brake bike. If it's just a venture or a fun build to use at certain occasions (or if you're at a tighter budget), then i would stick to Force. Cable pull ratio is really important to get right. EE works i vouch for that :-)
I use
https://jagwire.com/products/diy-cable- ... -brake-kit
Just see to it to get optimal compression and they are really nice.

What i also feel you should know, these brakes clear a 30mm tire on a 19mm (internal) rim.
I also used them on rims with a brake track as wide as 28mm.

This fork is Moots Road, it handles +30mm tires. It's standard mount calipers i use.
Attachments
IMG_3070.jpg
IMG_3070.jpg (132.28 KiB) Viewed 252 times
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.