2024 product release rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

They're not particularly sharp, the low res photo is making the transition look sharper than it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TwiggyForest wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 11:34 pm
They're not particularly sharp, the low res photo is making the transition look sharper than it is.

Plus the steerer between the two headset bearings isn’t exactly going to splay in the direction of any stress risers. The loads that section needs to worry about are torsional.

ChairmanJiang

by ChairmanJiang

A friend said Shimano's carbon cranks are in development now, but the secrecy is good.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Maybe they are going with a spider based PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabulousz

by fabulousz

From my understanding, it's like this.
Attachments
企业微信截图_17162583022499.png

Nereth

by Nereth

RDY wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 12:19 pm
But you're introducing 4 very localized stress points .. and the one with arrow in attached photo is a sharp angle rather than rounded transition.

Unless they've done a lot of work to mitigate potential issues here, I doubt this doesn't see immediate revisions.
Eyeball FEA is that those are not very significant stress raisers realistically, and I'd expect it's not a very high cycle part that's gonna be really sensitive to said stress raisers. It's probably designed for stiffness more than strength there, and the majority of any damage it does recieve will probably be in impact (a few times for the life of the frame) or very hard braking (perhaps 10-20x a week for the life of the bike even if ridden aggressively, = <10k cycles for a reasonable lifetime). All that leads to not that much concern about it fatigueing there.

Regarding the sharp corner there, sharps on an external angle like that aren't really problematic as stress raisers, stress drops there. It's internal/re-entrant corners where stress concentrates. You'd wanna know what the inside of the layup there looks like.

alanyu

by alanyu

TRP new mtb rotor, but I want to say this MTB caliper is sososo elegant, likely more aerodynamic than any other road caliper.
Attachments
1000079243.png

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alanyu wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:19 pm
TRP new mtb rotor, but I want to say this MTB caliper is sososo elegant, likely more aerodynamic than any other road caliper.

Not that sleek IMO when you consider it’s a 4-piston caliper and a 220mm rotor in the photo.

RDY

by RDY

Nereth wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:08 am
RDY wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 12:19 pm
But you're introducing 4 very localized stress points .. and the one with arrow in attached photo is a sharp angle rather than rounded transition.

Unless they've done a lot of work to mitigate potential issues here, I doubt this doesn't see immediate revisions.
Eyeball FEA is that those are not very significant stress raisers realistically, and I'd expect it's not a very high cycle part that's gonna be really sensitive to said stress raisers. It's probably designed for stiffness more than strength there, and the majority of any damage it does recieve will probably be in impact (a few times for the life of the frame) or very hard braking (perhaps 10-20x a week for the life of the bike even if ridden aggressively, = <10k cycles for a reasonable lifetime). All that leads to not that much concern about it fatigueing there.

Regarding the sharp corner there, sharps on an external angle like that aren't really problematic as stress raisers, stress drops there. It's internal/re-entrant corners where stress concentrates. You'd wanna know what the inside of the layup there looks like.
Every time something potentially iffy comes out, people tend to come up with all sorts of reasonable sounding explanations for why everything will be totally fine. But what they fail to account for is that it's the bike industry, and usually something will be f*****d up if it can be.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by impacts. Crashes, or hitting road debris / potholes / trenches in the road? If the latter then it's unavoidable to have multiple per ride if you ride on bad roads ... it's not if you hit, it's how you hit them and what you can do to mitigate the impacts.

I'm sure they've learnt some lessons, but remember Incolor also took years and 3 iterations to get their cranks right.

I really hope it is good from the start though, as this is the first reasonable attempt on a contemporary aero bike to accommodate larger riders and particularly larger riders with modern fits with saddle slammed forward.

Nereth

by Nereth

I meant impacts like crash into a car and taco your wheel, or heavy braking like brake so hard the rear wheel comes up. That to me is your most aggressive load cases. I'm not sure impacts with a more vertical component will have so much effect on the steerer at that location.

I'm not saying it won't be stupid, I'm saying it probably won't be because of those kinks being a stress raiser. More likely to be because they're made out of tolerance, or manufactured with actual defects in the layup, etc :lol:

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

New control SL wheels from Specialized just released. Outfitted with carbon spokes and the chrome hub we have all seen on some sets of rapides some pros have been riding. Seems very likely a new CLXiii forthcoming?

Jaisen

by Jaisen

LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:43 pm
New control SL wheels from Specialized just released. Outfitted with carbon spokes and the chrome hub we have all seen on some sets of rapides some pros have been riding. Seems very likely a new CLXiii forthcoming?
The rumor from the Roval wheel thread was that even the Rapides will be Team Editions, like the Control SL's released today. So they will be a package combo that includes bolts, bottles, tires, wheel bag... Estimated price increase 1000$. Estimated launch date May 30th.

Now the Control SL Team Editions have a very limited supply that has already sold out, so it likely will be the same for the Rapides.

CLX III might be another year.

kervelo

by kervelo

Saw these Newmen Streem Vonoa carbon wheels mentioned in an IG post:

Sprint, 35/38 mm, 1035g
https://www.newmen-components.de/Konfig ... a548182e9d
Allround, 49/54, 1300g
https://www.newmen-components.de/Konfig ... 9d608bc0ae
Sprint, 60/66, 1355g
https://www.newmen-components.de/Konfig ... 091bfc0f85

All wheels built with hooked rims, carbon spokes.

Apv

by Apv

New Trek… Emonda?? This has been seen before but it’s the first time this has been photographed for what seems like a website.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NotYou

by NotYou

Apv wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 7:05 am
New Trek… Emonda?? This has been seen before but it’s the first time this has been photographed for what seems like a website.

You may want to check page 65 of this thread