Chinese ultralight handlebar passed SGS quality certification

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

onetwo4

by onetwo4

Received my Avian Falcon II bars yesterday. Ordered on 3/23 and arrived here 4/15 so around 3 weeks to arrive.

Weight was 286.5g (+/- 0.5g) for the 36/120.

These will be going on a 52cm Factor o2 and will update with pics and report back ride impressions once it is all installed.

Coming from 38/110 black inc bars that I really did enjoy, but needed a bit more reach and wanted bars to be a little more narrow so I think these will be perfect. So far the tops feel pretty good in the hands but will find out after a few 6-8hr rides how they really perform.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Anyone using canary on aethos? Can i see some picture on how it looks?

2nd question: what is steerer tube clamping height of those bars? Can’t see that info anywhere

kofsw4

by kofsw4

e4rthm0ver wrote: 2nd question: what is steerer tube clamping height of those bars? Can’t see that info anywhere
Was just looking at this to see if I'd need to cut my steerer or add a tiny spacer.

The stem itself is around 32mm but you also need to account for the height of the transition spacer. For my Caledonia 5, this is an additional 10mm but I think some others may be different (eg the one for the R5 they sent me first is only 5mm)Image

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Thanks, that’s pretty low! I wanted to use it on aethos with external routing so no additional transition spacers needed

Gutonobre

by Gutonobre

Is it worth using in a Cervelo R5 2016?

gruppetto

by gruppetto

Strangely the computer mount delivered with the Falcon II somehow interfears with my Garmin Edge 1040 and my power meter in a way that packages are lost. (You can easily check this if the power data on Strava and on the device differ, since Strava handles the lost packages differently, than the Edge.)

Switched to a Topeak mount I had still flying around, which resolved the issue.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I ordered the Canary from Panda Podium. I selected the model of my bike on the order form dropdown. Will I receive the proper transition spacer for my bike or do I need to order it separately? Thanks.

ItalianEngineering

by ItalianEngineering

It is included from everything I've read. I'm still waiting on my order, though I went with OD2.

Can anyone make sense of this? (response from panda podium)
They don't have a estimate timeline as their handlebars only come with random sizes at the moment
I guesss there just isn't much of an order to the handlebars that panda receives from avian? Definitely not easy manufacuturing 56 different handlebar combinations.

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

MagicShite wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:34 am
TwiggyForest wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:59 am
I just got my EXS R180 in 38cm, came out at 173g. Quality looks good.

Also comes with a warning sticker that's it's not compatible with ZIPP and Bontrager stems :noidea:
zipp and bontrager stems cuts into carbon bars.
Is there any proof in that statement? I was considering a EXS handlebar but im running a ZIPP Service Course Aluminium stem.

bedampft

by bedampft

theOrtherion wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:53 pm
MagicShite wrote:
TwiggyForest wrote:

Also comes with a warning sticker that's it's not compatible with ZIPP and Bontrager stems :noidea:
Is there any proof in that statement? I was considering a EXS handlebar but im running a ZIPP Service Course Aluminium stem.
Yes. Had a lot of damaged carbon bars over the years with Zipp stems on customer bikes. The clamp will eat into the bar sooner or later.
And if the manufacturer says no, than I would do soo anyway. It's kind of savety relevant.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Do what

Do you mean not use the stem handlebar combo?
Last edited by Eterna7m on Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LRB23

by LRB23

pdlpsher1 wrote:I ordered the Canary from Panda Podium. I selected the model of my bike on the order form dropdown. Will I receive the proper transition spacer for my bike or do I need to order it separately? Thanks.
As long as you selected the correct bike model you will receive a specific spacer and generic space.

I received my Avian Falcon II bars from Panda Podium three weeks ago, with two types of spacers and the out front mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gshb

by gshb

bedampft wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:32 pm
theOrtherion wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:53 pm
MagicShite wrote:
TwiggyForest wrote:

Yes. Had a lot of damaged carbon bars over the years with Zipp stems on customer bikes. The clamp will eat into the bar sooner or later.
And if the manufacturer says no, than I would do soo anyway. It's kind of savety relevant.
Not to derail the topic, but I also backup that Zipp service course stems will damage carbon bars. The faceplate doesnt form an aligned edge with the stem, its slightly offset no matter how you mount it. I thought I just had a poorly made example, but then even Zipp carbon stems were so poorly finished I could not use the SL Speed I had. And now Im reading anecdotes that match up my experiences. I wont ever run a Zipp product.

Back on topic, I'll be ordering the Falcon II. Does anyone have links to 3rd party computer mounts? Silca's Chisela looks very interesting, just not sure if anyone has tried it.

LRB23

by LRB23

Regarding mounts have a look at Ti Parts Titanium:

https://tipartstitanium.com/products/av ... ightweight

Light but expensive. I guess the titanium 3D printing may divide some people.

I’m in a similar position. The stock mount for the handlebar is 30g. A few people have suggested Ali Express has a number of good options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Turrifik

by Turrifik

BikeTyson wrote:So from what I can tell, the Canary is the lightweight bar, the Falcon is the "aero" bar. The tops look to be a little deeper/wider, and the reach is 70 on the Falcon but 76 on the Canary. Then there's the stiffer Canary version, that is heavier but stiffer. Is that right? I was trying to figure out the difference between the stiff Canary and the Falcon. It's also hard to tell if the Falcon has any flair.
Sorry to bring up an older post. I’m trying to figure out the differences as well, and where to ideally order from (Panda or the Avian site). This will go on SL8. I’m 74kg

Are folks noticing if the lighter Canary is too flexible?
Any preferences one way or the other?

It looks like they both have 5degree flare based on the geometry diagrams on Panda’s site.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage