3D Printed Saddles - future or fad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Let's clarify that a saddle is not defined by it's padding/surface layer.

A 3D-printed pad glued onto a carbon fiber shell with carbon fiber or titanium saddle rails does not make the saddle 3D-printed.

Rant over. Please resume. :p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I rode a S-Works Power Mirror saddle the other day and was blown away. I had ridden a regular Power a few years back and it was ok, but had an issue with the noses being too narrow and sharp. The new Power Mirror was staggeringly comfortable. Will need to get one for a longer demo of a few days, but it might actually be worth the money.

Normally I stick to a hard saddle (on a Pro Stealth Team on both bikes atm) and try to find the sweet spot on it. The Power Mirror made me reconsider that a 'soft' saddle could work as well.

Aeo

by Aeo

Aliexpress is flush with "saddles with a 3D-printed pad" now.

Specialized Power clones, Pro Stealth clones (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004854849804.html https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004861876197.html)
ZTTO has one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003431758396.html
Classic long saddle https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004594996491.html
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

kode54

by kode54

Are these decent? Anyone has long-term review?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Dov

by Dov

If anyone wants an Antares 00 3D saddle hit me up. Bought it and do not like.

Happy to sell for 50% off RRP
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

fabulousz

by fabulousz

kode54 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:17 am
Are these decent? Anyone has long-term review?
I used fizik vento argo r1 3d printed saddle for five months, the problem is there is only one spot would make everything feel great, if u slip a bit then it would be worse. But the sharpe make me easy to slip, and need to find back the spot every time after that.

After I change to berk, everything is so great and I won't choose 3d printed again.

kode54

by kode54

Haha. Yeah. I had Fizik Adaptive 00 on gravel bike. Just wondering how the slew of 3D printed race saddles are available on aliexpress. I am also using Berk Lupina for most of my bikes!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

markdjr

by markdjr

I believe I read somewhere that Elastic Interface would be producing some chamois's with 3d printed layers sometime next year. I love my 3d printed saddle, but if I could get the same effect from the chamois I might go back to standard saddle.

Golden

by Golden

Anyone tried the SLR 3d?

chris1234

by chris1234

Has anyone seen the apparently new Spec 3d saddle shown in this vid:

https://youtu.be/oKzmtY8gug0

Any theories?

torger

by torger

I think it could be worth mentioning the Posedla 3D-printed saddle here, it actually uses a butt imprint and questionaire, so it's actally custom unlike Specialized et al. I think they have about half a dozen or so different base saddles, and then make a 3D printed upper. I just got one which I made for my gravel bike. Unfortunately it's still snowy winter here so I'm not in a state to make a review just yet as I this time of year only do short rides and have several layers of underwear.

However, I will say that I think that the body's ability to adapt over time to a certain saddle shape is more important than saddle shape, and saddle shape is more important than padding. I'm quite used to narrow saddles, and this saddle moves more support to the sit bones which is probably a good thing in long term, but my butt is not used to it yet. I'll see how it feels after a season of riding in warm weather with summer cycle clothing.

3D-printed saddle uppers are not lightweight. This Posedla saddles weighs 196 grams, of which the 3D printed upper is probably 100 grams, as the base saddle is high end carbon with nice finish.

I also have a Berk Lupina saddle, which is a classic lightweight saddle with some nice flex in the base. It's very comfortable for me despite weighing less than 100 grams. Too early to say which I will like the best, but as it is different riding styles (Berk is on the road bike, Posedla on the gravel bike) it will not be entirely comparable. Anyway, I think that a custom shaped saddle with basic upper would be better than a fixed saddle shape with 3D-printed upper. There's no suitable manufacturing technology yet though to make that.

Posedla Joyseat
Posedla Joyseat

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

chris1234 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:05 pm
Has anyone seen the apparently new Spec 3d saddle shown in this vid:

https://youtu.be/oKzmtY8gug0

Any theories?
Bikerumor had an article that referenced it - and most of the other Spec stuff the CW guys mentioned in the vid.

https://bikerumor.com/specialized-2023- ... rototypes/

pushpush

by pushpush

I wound up with a power mirror saddle that I acquired along with some other bike stuff. I would not have laid out the cash for a saddle this expensive. I was already adapted to the shape from using another of their similarly shaped saddles and fully expected myself to be underwhelmed. But damn me if it isnt the most comfortable saddle I've ever used. Now I wish I had one on each of my bikes.

This is why you should never try nice things if you are happy with what you already have!

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Anybody have experience with the Fizik Antares 3D saddle? I can get a pretty good deal on it but it's still on the more expensive side.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simbikotic

by simbikotic

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:57 pm
Anybody have experience with the Fizik Antares 3D saddle? I can get a pretty good deal on it but it's still on the more expensive side.
Riding one at the moment. It is very comfy. But, I am not getting the miracle-feel others have experienced. I would not say that it is significantly more comfortable than my standard Arione R1, also required a bit more adjustment to get in the sweet-spot. Nonetheless I can ride it all day without discomfort, so it's a keeper.