New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamraymond
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 am

by iamraymond

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:57 pm
30mm spindle, but can’t be sure if Red 22 or Force 22. Also unsure if 3-bolt or 8-bolt.
Seller confirmed it's 3 bolt and it weighs 627g with the chainrings. Would that be Red 22 or Force 22?

EvilEuro
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:03 am

by EvilEuro

GPLama has a review up of the new Stages dual-sided powermeter on a Shimano 9200 crankset... and it doesn't suck!!

He's only had it on three weeks, but it tracks in-line with his Assioma Duo pedal powermeter and his Wahoo Kickr 6 trainer. There are signs of very slight spiking on the first second of sprints, but these are very minor compared to the horror show that was previous Shimano powermeter cranksets.

Overall a very positive review. Interesting to note the change in design on the powermeter itself with some bracing of the powermeter onto the right crank arm. This seems to be the magic elixir to getting accurate results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1YxXidWZc4

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Robius
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:35 am

by Robius

EvilEuro wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:12 pm
GPLama has a review up of the new Stages dual-sided powermeter on a Shimano 9200 crankset... and it doesn't suck!!

He's only had it on three weeks, but it tracks in-line with his Assioma Duo pedal powermeter and his Wahoo Kickr 6 trainer. There are signs of very slight spiking on the first second of sprints, but these are very minor compared to the horror show that was previous Shimano powermeter cranksets.

Overall a very positive review. Interesting to note the change in design on the powermeter itself with some bracing of the powermeter onto the right crank arm. This seems to be the magic elixir to getting accurate results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1YxXidWZc4
After years of RnD they finally managed to get it right. It took way longer than expected tho. :beerchug:
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

milanv
Posts: 487
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:03 am

by milanv

This is Stages product, not Shimano...:wink:

LOWIEV
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:03 pm

by LOWIEV

Is this design also used on the 4iiii-units (with latest generation Shimano cranks)?
Or is the 4iiii right side still flawed?

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 10949
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

LOWIEV wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:07 am
Is this design also used on the 4iiii-units (with latest generation Shimano cranks)?
Or is the 4iiii right side still flawed?

4iiii has not started selling right-side power meters based on the Shimano 12-speed road crankarms.

LOWIEV
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:03 pm

by LOWIEV

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:34 am
LOWIEV wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:07 am
Is this design also used on the 4iiii-units (with latest generation Shimano cranks)?
Or is the 4iiii right side still flawed?

4iiii has not started selling right-side power meters based on the Shimano 12-speed road crankarms.
OK. So the 4iii factory install is with the flawed R-side measurement?

treyxt
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:04 pm

by treyxt

LOWIEV wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:34 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:34 am
LOWIEV wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:07 am
Is this design also used on the 4iiii-units (with latest generation Shimano cranks)?
Or is the 4iiii right side still flawed?

4iiii has not started selling right-side power meters based on the Shimano 12-speed road crankarms.
OK. So the 4iii factory install is with the flawed R-side measurement?
They don't offer factory install for the 8100/9200 12-speed cranks. Only on the old cranks, which has the flawed r-side measurement

jfranci3
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 pm

by jfranci3

LOWIEV wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:07 am
Is this design also used on the 4iiii-units (with latest generation Shimano cranks)?
Or is the 4iiii right side still flawed?
Looks like Shimano added a bunch of mass to the cranks
R9100 = 615gr (50/34 Shimano #s)
R9200 = 685gr

R9100 PM = 685gr
R9200 PM = 745gr.

(note the weight difference of the Shimano PM varies ring size to ring size it's either 60 or 80gr - that might indicate that the PM use a different casting than the non-pm, inferring the 4iiiiiii and Stages solutions won't be as accurate at the Shimano)

User avatar
gplama
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:21 am
Contact:

by gplama

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:34 am
4iiii has not started selling right-side power meters based on the Shimano 12-speed road crankarms.
They really stuffed up with their left only Precision III (now 12 months old). They need to sort that out before even thinking about the right side.

RE: Stages nailing it. This shows it CAN be done, which made me happier than it really should have. This now puts Shimano is a really awkward positon of holding a total banana of a power meter for the 9200/8100 series. I don't see them changing over to a Stages 'wrap around' and admitting their banananess.

MagicShite
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:33 pm

by MagicShite

gplama wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:04 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:34 am
4iiii has not started selling right-side power meters based on the Shimano 12-speed road crankarms.
They really stuffed up with their left only Precision III (now 12 months old). They need to sort that out before even thinking about the right side.

RE: Stages nailing it. This shows it CAN be done, which made me happier than it really should have. This now puts Shimano is a really awkward positon of holding a total banana of a power meter for the 9200/8100 series. I don't see them changing over to a Stages 'wrap around' and admitting their banananess.
Do the current new stages have any issues with voltage regulation? As another forumer here pointed out that the batteries are not properly regulated so the fluctuating voltage may/may not heavily skew the reading of the ADC.

George46GR
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:05 pm

by George46GR

Does anybody happen to knw when to expect a Quarq DUB DFour powermeter for 9200 chainrings? Thanks ....
2022 BMC TeamMachine SLR_01 Disk

Erwin
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:13 am
Location: Bavaria

by Erwin

That would be great! Hope it will happen anytime soon. But something says me it won't happen at all. Perhaps I should buy the actual Dfour spider and use it with R9100 rings, but it is a compromise though.

User avatar
pdlpsher1
Posts: 3818
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

You can mate the DFour with 9200 rings. It won't look great cosmetically but there are no mechanical interferences between the two.

Erwin
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:13 am
Location: Bavaria

by Erwin

Ok, thanks for the info. Do you have a picture please?

EDIT: Found it here: https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/new ... 68?page=19 Post 363

or here: https://powermetercity.com/faq/what-shi ... wer-meter/
Last edited by Erwin on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply