Lighter Trek Emonda Seatmast

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trainingpartner

by trainingpartner

Heads up to the Emonda crew

As per this thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=164268&sid=1c2df8c ... 0332812467

Your seat mast clamp weights 23g (it's lightly glued onto the carbon topper, running a spanner down the tube a couple of times will chip the seat clamp off. (Do your research and don't use a clamp with the two roller barrel things)

Trek has glued the clamp on for good reason. It's annoying as hell trying to adjust the saddle when everything is moving!

Started at 221g with a coco saddle 68g and the tall seatmast
Shaved down to 185g

After the seatpost mods
Darimo 3.9g clamp
Alloy saddle clamp creation is IMO not ideal. Instead of 8g weight saving, using titanium bolts and a 4g saving may be better as even the M6 alloy bolts strip around 5nm

We could go 2g lighter with the carbon bolt-save that for race day and don't sit on the saddle

*additional notes, I usually have the saddle clamp bolt torqued to 5nm and not the 12-16 stamped on the ears

Yes I'm using the lightweight kit that has the lightweight cradle and the red ears for 9mm rails.

Will update with more info and updates as and when
Last edited by trainingpartner on Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Nice Job!!!

Does anyone have a source for the lighter red 7x9 ears in the US? Trek doesn't seem to carry them anymore and I need a set of 7x9 ears. If I don't find one, I may just have to get the regular ones.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2017 Trek Domane SLR-7 Disc - 8.36kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg

Lucendi

by Lucendi

The seatmast would be significantly lighter still if you cut the top off and fitted a traditional cradle and pin saddle clamp.

trainingpartner

by trainingpartner

Lucendi wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:50 pm
The seatmast would be significantly lighter still if you cut the top off and fitted a traditional cradle and pin saddle clamp.
Yes, lighter. But not significantly. I've done the math and it's a bit of work for a bit of weight saving (possibly). I opted for this because it's just bolt on stuff that the masses can do too. And truth be told, the trek system actually works great but you need the light cradle