Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Lookryder wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:17 pm
kode54 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:46 pm
Funny to hear that the Ostro is like the SL7 where you ride. I got the Ostro after getting an Aethos. I do have to work on the hills on the Ostro more than the Aethos. Ride quality on the Aethos is more suited for my old bones and climbs well when pushed. Also, the Aethos doesn't have any issues keeping up on group rides on the flats, but thats where the Ostro shines...rollers and flats. i don't pay attention much to metrics...but the Ostro is everything they say about it.
Oh, I meant that the Aethos is everywhere. I haven’t seen a single Ostro here in Salt Lake where I live. Occasionally I’ll see an O2, but that’s it.
I live in what is known as spesh central. "Norcal". I've seen only 2 aethos . Too many SL7,SL6 to count. I've seen more Ostro.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

tmanley

by tmanley

spdntrxi wrote:
Lookryder wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Funny to hear that the Ostro is like the SL7 where you ride. I got the Ostro after getting an Aethos. I do have to work on the hills on the Ostro more than the Aethos. Ride quality on the Aethos is more suited for my old bones and climbs well when pushed. Also, the Aethos doesn't have any issues keeping up on group rides on the flats, but thats where the Ostro shines...rollers and flats. i don't pay attention much to metrics...but the Ostro is everything they say about it.
Oh, I meant that the Aethos is everywhere. I haven’t seen a single Ostro here in Salt Lake where I live. Occasionally I’ll see an O2, but that’s it.
I live in what is known as spesh central. "Norcal". I've seen only 2 aethos . Too many SL7,SL6 to count. I've seen more Ostro.
Two more Ostro VAM’s are about to be on the road soon in Norcal. Mine (which is coming in a couple of weeks - 61cm) and my SJBC race teammates 56cm. Being a taller rider Factor was able to get me a 140/40 barstem combo and a longer seatpost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

JeffK wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:16 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:21 pm
The 56 size isn't just reach to handlebar, it's also the difference in where your saddle will be.
I think i would go for 54 if i were you. A smaller bike will be more nimble and i guess you would like that better.
What frame numbers would be ideal to you?
R3 is to high? But 54 Ostro to low. Would it be a frame that's about 384mm reach and stack of 560mm?
It's same as Colnago V3RS (size 52S) and i think for your length they would recommend a 50S Colnago.
Thats not true. The only difference between the 54 and 56 is in front of the BB (reach). The seat tube angle is the same on both, so if that angle is the same, and the seat height is the same (which it will be), the saddle position is the same. The only way the saddle position changes is if the seat tube angle changes between sizes.

I am right between sizes (54 & 56) myself. I can fit both, a 54 with 20mm spacers and a 110mm stem, or a 56 slammed and a 100mm stem. Since saddle position is the same on both, its deciding on which look I like, the wheelbase (handling), resale, etc.
There's 8mm difference in reach on 54 and 56. 54 has a TT of 550 and 56 566.
So the seat mast tube is 8mm further back on a 56.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:14 pm
JeffK wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:16 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:21 pm
The 56 size isn't just reach to handlebar, it's also the difference in where your saddle will be.
I think i would go for 54 if i were you. A smaller bike will be more nimble and i guess you would like that better.
What frame numbers would be ideal to you?
R3 is to high? But 54 Ostro to low. Would it be a frame that's about 384mm reach and stack of 560mm?
It's same as Colnago V3RS (size 52S) and i think for your length they would recommend a 50S Colnago.
Thats not true. The only difference between the 54 and 56 is in front of the BB (reach). The seat tube angle is the same on both, so if that angle is the same, and the seat height is the same (which it will be), the saddle position is the same. The only way the saddle position changes is if the seat tube angle changes between sizes.

I am right between sizes (54 & 56) myself. I can fit both, a 54 with 20mm spacers and a 110mm stem, or a 56 slammed and a 100mm stem. Since saddle position is the same on both, its deciding on which look I like, the wheelbase (handling), resale, etc.
Not necessarily. Since the 56's headtube is longer, the top tube is higher up relative to the bracket. And therefore it can be longer by more than the reach difference.

Aside from that, the precise seat tube angle normally doesn't matter too much since the saddle fore-aft can be adjusted with the saddle rails and choice of seatpost setback.

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

KAoslo wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:46 pm
Hi all,

Im in the process of ordering a Factor Ostro Vam frameset and have a couple of questions.

1. im 176 cm and 84 cm inseam. I ride a 53 Bianchi Oltre XR4 today with a 110 stem. Factor reccomends a size 52 with a 120 mm stem. Any here with similar measurements like me that rides 52? I guess im in the middle of 52/54, but I like my bikes to be agressive.

2. Im looking at bar/stem combo, not the integrated. Want a -12 stem, and like the Extralite Hyperstem or the Zipp Service Course SL stem, in combo with the either Black Inc Aero bar or 3T Aeroflux. Question is if I can fit the brake cables through these stems? Anyone who knows?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Cheers from Oslo.
May I ask what decision you have made? I myself am 175 cm tall with an inseam of 82,3 cm and am currently thinking about an Ostro in 52.

I went for the SL7 in 54 with a 100 mm stem, but somehow I still do not feel "connected" to it. The bike itself is great, no doubt, still it does not feel as "lively" as my R5 in 51 did. On the other side, I'm concerned the ostro in 52 might be too aggressive stack-wise. I am not the kind of rider who rides his bikes slammed.

I guess I will try a 90 mm stem on the SL7 first, even if it looks ...

JeffK

by JeffK

wheelsONfire wrote:

Sorry but you are wrong here. I used to think the same thing, and its a common misconception. The only measurement that determines the saddle position(relative to BB) is the seat tube angle. If you are comparing 2 bike frame, even if they are different sizes, and they have the same seat tube angle, and you swapped the same seat post between bikes, the saddle would be in the exact same position on both frames. The extra reach in this case is made up in front of the BB. Thats why a lot of manufactures spec a 54 with a 0mm offset seatpost and a 56 with a 25mm offset seatpost.
-------
2021 Factor Ostro VAM
2021 Factor LS
2018 Trek Speed Concept

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

JeffK wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:12 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:

Sorry but you are wrong here. I used to think the same thing, and its a common misconception. The only measurement that determines the saddle position(relative to BB) is the seat tube angle. If you are comparing 2 bike frame, even if they are different sizes, and they have the same seat tube angle, and you swapped the same seat post between bikes, the saddle would be in the exact same position on both frames. The extra reach in this case is made up in front of the BB. Thats why a lot of manufactures spec a 54 with a 0mm offset seatpost and a 56 with a 25mm offset seatpost.
Nothing to be sorry about, it's great to learn something new. I have a 72,6 degree seat mast and i still use a -15 seatpost. With another saddle i have i can use a Thomson seat post in reversed position so it's +15. Using as an example a ISM saddle, i need a 25mm offset seatpost.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

TLN

by TLN

tmanley wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:29 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Lookryder wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Two more Ostro VAM’s are about to be on the road soon in Norcal. Mine (which is coming in a couple of weeks - 61cm) and my SJBC race teammates 56cm. Being a taller rider Factor was able to get me a 140/40 barstem combo and a longer seatpost.

I was seriously considering Factor Ostro vam when I saw that 61cm size available. Ended up with slightly different bike though. What color you're getting, BRG?
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

tmanley

by tmanley

[/quote]
I was seriously considering Factor Ostro vam when I saw that 61cm size available. Ended up with slightly different bike though. What color you're getting, BRG?[/quote]

Nude carbon with sky blue decals

tmanley

by tmanley

Nude carbon

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Anybody had a size 56 frame on a scale recently? Most of the weights I have seen have been from early bikes. My black/chrome 56 including thru-axles, derailleur hangers, bottle cage bolts, is 1500 grams for frame and uncut fork. (Sorry, not in my hands so I can't do a proper weigh-in.) Can anyone give a ballpark number without the hardware? I have no idea what the hardware adds up to, but the total weight seems a bit high. I have heard whispers of some cracked frames in competition so it wouldn't be surprising that frames are being beefed up. Certainly the forks have gained weight.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:06 pm
Anybody had a size 56 frame on a scale recently? Most of the weights I have seen have been from early bikes. My black/chrome 56 including thru-axles, derailleur hangers, bottle cage bolts, is 1500 grams for frame and uncut fork. (Sorry, not in my hands so I can't do a proper weigh-in.) Can anyone give a ballpark number without the hardware? I have no idea what the hardware adds up to, but the total weight seems a bit high. I have heard whispers of some cracked frames in competition so it wouldn't be surprising that frames are being beefed up. Certainly the forks have gained weight.
Didn't Ostro model have a revised fork gaining about 100g?
What you talk of is like a rolling udate (also a weight increase) not advertised by Factor.
Don't be surprised if it is like you guess. Ax Lightness did this to Vial platform. Since i have had a few i can say, on paper it may seem annoying, but if it's something that make a bike run proper it's way better than having it deassembled and sent away for a long time.
Have you considered mailing tech department at Factor and ask them straight?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 pm
What you talk of is like a rolling udate (also a weight increase) not advertised by Factor.
Don't be surprised if it is like you guess. Ax Lightness did this to Vial platform. Since i have had a few i can say, on paper it may seem annoying, but if it's something that make a bike run proper it's way better than having it deassembled and sent away for a long time.
Have you considered mailing tech department at Factor and ask them straight?
I don't have a problem with some extra weight if it improves the overall performance.
As for asking Factor, I struggle to trust a manufacturer. Not that they intentionally deceive, but will you get average weight of frames to be sold or documentation of the lightest frame ever to come off the production line. IOW I'd rather trust a weenie who has had a bike on a scale.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ichobi

by ichobi

My uncut fork in flickr color was 450ish g certainly not light. This is with the updated screw-in steerer design.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChairmanJiang

by ChairmanJiang

Racing green 49 OSTRO frame is 870g and the fork is 440g.