Oakley Prizm Road versus competitor lenses like POC (Carl Zeiss)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

req110

by req110

Hey guys. I am considering to switch from sutro s prizm road to glasses like poc aspire.

I have to choose which lenses

1) which lenses do you consider best for road usage with similar properties like prizm road

2) if you compare them, which are better?
Last edited by req110 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Aside from Oakley's marketing blurb, what are the properties of Prizm lenses for road use?

I thought they were just lenses?

BTW not trying to sh*t on Oakley here, I love my Jawbreakers. Just do think the lenses are a particularly stand out feature.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have been big on Oakley for many years and the lense I preferred was the photochromic which I got with Radarlocks,Radar EV,and Zeros.
I have had them in Pitch and Path variations but now they are producing less of the photo lense and more of everything else. Also had the Trail Prizm as I do like the lighter lense that only block 15% light. Since Oakley has cut back on my fav photo lenses I have moved on to the Smith Photochromic lenses and they are lighter more comfy and fit my helmet much better than the Oakleys. I have sold all my Oakleys cept for the Zero and one pair of Radar EV with a scratched photo lense. Not going back to Oakley now and not that I hate on Oakley but I think the Smith for me is the better option as they offer the photo lense.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

I think Oakley makes a quality product, and I like the level of tint on the road lenses for pretty much all conditions, but I wouldnt pay MSRP for them.

jlok

by jlok

My last Oakley has Road Prizm. I think the lens is only oleophobic on the front but not at the back. This is the cost cutting I dislike. I remember the older Oakleys were both sides oleophobic.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ico

by ico

I have POC Blade and Zegho G2 with Zeiss lenses. I doubt you can compare those with Prizm lenses. Zeiss is much better quality.

scottydonald

by scottydonald

I am Mr Oakley; own 65 pairs right now. Varying glasses for casual to golf and cycling.

I own for cycling -

Sutro Prizm Black - Decent lens for full sunny days only.
Sutro Prizm Dark Road - Amazing lens for cycling from partial cloudy with a bit of blue sky to full bluebird.
Sutro Prizm Sapphire - My favourite lens for everything but the Road lenses beat it cycling - Sunny days I will use these for cycling.
Sutro Prizm Trail - Use on all full cloud days, amazing lens.
Kato Prizm Sapphire - As above - favourite overall cycling frame but really expensive.
Kato X Prizm Road - Perfect all round lens for cycling.
Flak 2.0 Prizm Road - I tend to use for driving as the frames are a bit small for the speeds of road cycling.

kervelo

by kervelo

ico wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:53 am
I have POC Blade and Zegho G2 with Zeiss lenses. I doubt you can compare those with Prizm lenses. Zeiss is much better quality.
Zeiss lenses are good, no doubt about that, but the Prizm is fundamentally different. The Prizm lenses "manipulate" the different colours for optimum performance.
http://press.oakley.com/prizm/#/intro

For example, the Prizm road and Prizm trail lenses show the details differently, when riding on the forest roads and single tracks, where the trees cast lot of shade.

req110

by req110

My combo is

#1 Sutro S Prizm Road (for almost all year around except dark days and forests) >> amazing lenses, the way they manipulate colours is great, potholes more visible.
#2 Sutro S Prizm Trail Torch (for darker days, especially in forests) >> also amazing, roots and stones are more visible.

I am considering to keep the trail torch Sutros and sell the Prizm Road ones and purchase those POC Aspire, because they look supercool. But i need some good lenses which are working similarly as Prizm Roads.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

kervelo wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:26 am
ico wrote:
Zeiss lenses are good, no doubt about that, but the Prizm is fundamentally different. The Prizm lenses "manipulate" the different colours for optimum performance.

For example, the Prizm road and Prizm trail lenses show the details differently, when riding on the forest roads and single tracks, where the trees cast lot of shade.
I have Koo Demos which have Zeiss as well, and I don't really see how they are any better or clearer than Oakleys, which I own quite a few of.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Several years ago I switched from various Oakley with prizm lenses to Koo (for helmet compatibility reasons) that have Zeiss lens. The optical clarity difference between the two was shocking. Zeiss makes a quality lens if you can find glasses with them.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

scottydonald wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:15 am
I am Mr Oakley; own 65 pairs right now. Varying glasses for casual to golf and cycling.

I own for cycling -

Sutro Prizm Black - Decent lens for full sunny days only.
Sutro Prizm Dark Road - Amazing lens for cycling from partial cloudy with a bit of blue sky to full bluebird.
Sutro Prizm Sapphire - My favourite lens for everything but the Road lenses beat it cycling - Sunny days I will use these for cycling.
Sutro Prizm Trail - Use on all full cloud days, amazing lens.
Kato Prizm Sapphire - As above - favourite overall cycling frame but really expensive.
Kato X Prizm Road - Perfect all round lens for cycling.
Flak 2.0 Prizm Road - I tend to use for driving as the frames are a bit small for the speeds of road cycling.
I also have quite a few Oakleys, and have tried pretty much all of the newer modells. For me personally, Radar EV and Field Jacket have been the best fitting and tightest fit which don't ever move. I got a pair of Kato X Sapphire recently and they don't sit that great on the nose. They slide down some in an aggressive position. Which is too bad since I think they look amazing.

In terms of lenses. Prizm Tungsten is my favorite for sure. It's good for nearly everything. Paired with the Field Jackets, you can use them for any sport really. Since Field Jackets are not cycling specific and not too large, they don't look out of place anywhere when it comes to sport.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

wheelbuilder wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:58 am
Several years ago I switched from various Oakley with prizm lenses to Koo (for helmet compatibility reasons) that have Zeiss lens. The optical clarity difference between the two was shocking. Zeiss makes a quality lens if you can find glasses with them.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
I don't know, maybe it's just me not noticing then. I haven't used the Koos much. They are far from Oakleys in terms of fit and how tight they stay on your face though. At least in my case.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

req110

by req110

Sounds like there is no better lens for road purposes than Prizm Road right?

ico

by ico

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:54 am
kervelo wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:26 am
ico wrote:

I have Koo Demos which have Zeiss as well, and I don't really see how they are any better or clearer than Oakleys, which I own quite a few of.

If you have no doubts, stay with PRIZM, but the question was "which lenses do you consider best for road usage with similar properties like prizm road" In my opinion - ZEISS lenses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com