Trek / Bontrager RSL VR-C Recall

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

User avatar
ryanw
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 pm
Location: London

by ryanw

Trek have recently announced a STOP SALE NOTICE for a range of handlebar/stem units from the Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebar/stem. This is applicable for parts from the 2020, 2021 and 2022 model years.

Please note that the issue is surrounding the integrated handlebar and stem fitted on the bike.

In regard to the solution Trek will provide us with aluminium parts to rectify the solution as a stop gap until the correct parts are available in approx 2 months.

This will be carried out quickly and efficiently to ensure your riding remains as uninterrupted as possible, but there may be some downtime we are sorry to say. Our team will provide further instructions on how to proceed.

In the meantime, we ask that you stop using the handlebar as while the STOP SALE NOTICE is voluntary, we do want to ensure any part affected is checked over fully and parts replaced where needed.
'22 SL7 S-Works - 6.22kg
'22 Crux S-Works - 6.64kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

spartan
Posts: 1638
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:52 am

by spartan

you could have seen this coming. the bars were too light. another black eye for Trek. the new speed base concept bars on Speed Concept SLR 2022 have also been recalled. i checked the bars go for 900cad +tax in great north. wtf
Current Rides:

2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Bora Di2 9150
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



BigBoyND
Posts: 656
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 1:51 am
Location: Berlin, DE

by BigBoyND

Damn. I literally just finished a build with these bars.... that and I no longer have my receipt for it. Will they still replace it?

Also, I haven't seen any mention of one breaking. What's the issue with the bar?
2019 Spec Venge 58cm 6.9kg
- R9270/R8170, Quarq, i9.65
2021 Canyon Speedmax Disc CF8 XL heavy
- R8000, P2M, SwissSide 80 + Citec Disc

Retired:
2020 Pina Prince 59.5cm 7.4kg
2017 Cervélo P5 58cm heavy

robertoguinn
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:15 pm
Location: Boulderstan

by robertoguinn

dupe
Last edited by robertoguinn on Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
children trust me

robertoguinn
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:15 pm
Location: Boulderstan

by robertoguinn

Anybody know why the recall? My Trek dealer said they'd order me a replacment as soon as they can, but they have no information at all. Nothing's listed on their recall page, and the bar page is still live.

Am I riding a time-bomb, or should I install a different set-up until I get the new bar/stem?
children trust me

boots2000
Posts: 1732
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm

by boots2000

I used this opportunity to finally install a set of Vision ACR integrated bars (they make a specifc spacer for clean 100% internal cable routing). But the main reason was that I always wanted a shorter reach bar than the Bontrager.

mayfly118
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:46 pm

by mayfly118

Got the email here in the UK - I can only imagine there is an issue with them failing, although no information providied other than saying an issue with the bars. I got my bike last July and did have one set fail within a month (crack while riding) which they replaced. I am guessing its a wider problem

Vjl
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:14 pm

by Vjl

How and where did they fail?

User avatar
MitchatTrek
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:04 pm
Contact:

by MitchatTrek

Hey all, just to provide clarity and to confirm the above, Trek is currently undergoing an investigation into the Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebar/stem here in the USA with the CPSC. We don't have complete details to share yet, but once we do, and a solution is in place that meets the CPSCs and our requirements, we will have an active recall. We would advise against riding these handlebars in the meantime.

Once available, full details for our recall will be shared on our website listed below:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/comp ... y_recalls/

Stay tuned for updates there and also lookout for contact from your retailer. We can't provide further detail about the bar/stem yet, but it is on the way soon.
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

HansZuDemFranz
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 11:39 am

by HansZuDemFranz

MitchatTrek wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:09 pm
Hey all, just to provide clarity and to confirm the above, Trek is currently undergoing an investigation into the Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebar/stem here in the USA with the CPSC. We don't have complete details to share yet, but once we do, and a solution is in place that meets the CPSCs and our requirements, we will have an active recall. We would advise against riding these handlebars in the meantime.

Once available, full details for our recall will be shared on our website listed below:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/comp ... y_recalls/

Stay tuned for updates there and also lookout for contact from your retailer. We can't provide further detail about the bar/stem yet, but it is on the way soon.
Wouldnt it be in the best interest of your customers (who paid a lot of money for the bikes) if you told them everthing you know so far? There obviously is a reason, why Trek is doing a recall. So share all the information you already have collected. It seems like Trek is covering up for potential legal issues, until their marketing department has figured out, how they can "sell" this recall without looking too bad.

ezno
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:56 am

by ezno

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:25 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:09 pm
Hey all, just to provide clarity and to confirm the above, Trek is currently undergoing an investigation into the Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebar/stem here in the USA with the CPSC. We don't have complete details to share yet, but once we do, and a solution is in place that meets the CPSCs and our requirements, we will have an active recall. We would advise against riding these handlebars in the meantime.

Once available, full details for our recall will be shared on our website listed below:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/comp ... y_recalls/

Stay tuned for updates there and also lookout for contact from your retailer. We can't provide further detail about the bar/stem yet, but it is on the way soon.
Wouldnt it be in the best interest of your customers (who paid a lot of money for the bikes) if you told them everthing you know so far? There obviously is a reason, why Trek is doing a recall. So share all the information you already have collected. It seems like Trek is covering up for potential legal issues, until their marketing department has figured out, how they can "sell" this recall without looking too bad.
I bought one from Trek Online directly, less than two months ago. Contacted Trek yesterday via "chat" Online and ask if there was "Stop Sell" or Recall. They responed there is a Stop Sell. I asked why, and if I should be worried using them being a tall and heavy rider that puts a fair amount of watts down during sprints. They told me they have had some of the bars fail, and to bring mine to a local trek shop to switch out to something else temporarily until review from CPSC.
I asked why Trek did they not contact me for my safety since I bought direct from them Online. They would not reply to this question!!! WTF

jas0nt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:08 am

by jas0nt

ezno wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:48 pm
HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:25 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:09 pm
Hey all, just to provide clarity and to confirm the above, Trek is currently undergoing an investigation into the Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebar/stem here in the USA with the CPSC. We don't have complete details to share yet, but once we do, and a solution is in place that meets the CPSCs and our requirements, we will have an active recall. We would advise against riding these handlebars in the meantime.

Once available, full details for our recall will be shared on our website listed below:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/comp ... y_recalls/

Stay tuned for updates there and also lookout for contact from your retailer. We can't provide further detail about the bar/stem yet, but it is on the way soon.
Wouldnt it be in the best interest of your customers (who paid a lot of money for the bikes) if you told them everthing you know so far? There obviously is a reason, why Trek is doing a recall. So share all the information you already have collected. It seems like Trek is covering up for potential legal issues, until their marketing department has figured out, how they can "sell" this recall without looking too bad.
I bought one from Trek Online directly, less than two months ago. Contacted Trek yesterday via "chat" Online and ask if there was "Stop Sell" or Recall. They responed there is a Stop Sell. I asked why, and if I should be worried using them being a tall and heavy rider that puts a fair amount of watts down during sprints. They told me they have had some of the bars fail, and to bring mine to a local trek shop to switch out to something else temporarily until review from CPSC.
I asked why Trek did they not contact me for my safety since I bought direct from them Online. They would not reply to this question!!! WTF
With respect, how does knowing the answer help your current situation? You now know it might be unsafe to use the handlebars - so how you respond is up to you.

ezno
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:56 am

by ezno

jas0nt wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:02 am
ezno wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:48 pm
HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:25 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:09 pm
Hey all, just to provide clarity and to confirm the above, Trek is currently undergoing an investigation into the Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebar/stem here in the USA with the CPSC. We don't have complete details to share yet, but once we do, and a solution is in place that meets the CPSCs and our requirements, we will have an active recall. We would advise against riding these handlebars in the meantime.

Once available, full details for our recall will be shared on our website listed below:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/comp ... y_recalls/

Stay tuned for updates there and also lookout for contact from your retailer. We can't provide further detail about the bar/stem yet, but it is on the way soon.
Wouldnt it be in the best interest of your customers (who paid a lot of money for the bikes) if you told them everthing you know so far? There obviously is a reason, why Trek is doing a recall. So share all the information you already have collected. It seems like Trek is covering up for potential legal issues, until their marketing department has figured out, how they can "sell" this recall without looking too bad.
I bought one from Trek Online directly, less than two months ago. Contacted Trek yesterday via "chat" Online and ask if there was "Stop Sell" or Recall. They responed there is a Stop Sell. I asked why, and if I should be worried using them being a tall and heavy rider that puts a fair amount of watts down during sprints. They told me they have had some of the bars fail, and to bring mine to a local trek shop to switch out to something else temporarily until review from CPSC.
I asked why Trek did they not contact me for my safety since I bought direct from them Online. They would not reply to this question!!! WTF
With respect, how does knowing the answer help your current situation? You now know it might be unsafe to use the handlebars - so how you respond is up to you.
jasOnt, what part do you not understand! Trek has still made no effort to contact me to inform me that a product I bought from them ONLINE could fail causing possible serious injury to myself or another rider behind me. Wait, I'm sorry, you work for TREK? Ha Ha, Rant over.

ArtifactsInMotion
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:34 pm
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Contact:

by ArtifactsInMotion

Really bummed, but safety first. Hoping the local Trek shop can get me sorted quick. I hope they compensate for the fact that I'll have to get recabled and everything.
'15 BMC TMR01 58cm, SRAM Force AXS, SRAM Red Aero 1x PM crankset, Bora WTO 45, Pzero TLRSL 24mm, Bontrager RSLVRC barstem, Romin Mirror, DA9100 Pedals: 7.1kg

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



CAAD8FRED
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:52 pm

by CAAD8FRED

If Trek won't sell the bars due to safety issues, they should issue a stop riding notice to owners until the investigation is complete. Anything otherwise seems like they're trying to cover up the issue

Post Reply