2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

thirdsun wrote:Just to see if the heavier SRAM models of the CF SLX might be an option for me as well I was reading up on the effects of bike weight on mostly flat roads and was quite surprised to learn that according to this handy calculator it's completely meaningless even on climbs: https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html

Of course I'd expect there to be a noticeable difference in acceleration but even in this extreme example (8 vs 11 kg) it's not an outrageous difference. I'm kind of surprised. Have I been giving too much weight to...weight?
Unless it’s a really long and/or really steep climb, weight really doesn’t matter that much in terms of speed. If I’m doing 4 w/kg on a steep climb, then an additional 1kg is going to cost me (wait for it) a bit less than 4 watts in order to do the same speed. Not much.

Whereas the difference between aero wheels on a good aero bike and a non-aero bike with box section wheels can be 30-40+ watts on rolling terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:52 pm
Took the Aeroad out for a brief ride today and did a couple of sprints. The bar felt like a wet noodle. Anyone else having this issue?

In other news, I set me all time best 1 minute power and took my first “real” KOM. It’s a very fast bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have never felt the bar was like a noodle.

I am having an issue of feeling like I am losing control of the bike on fast corners. Getting a little speed wobble. Getting to the point where it is in my head.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thirdsun

by thirdsun

willvousden wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:55 pm
thirdsun wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:30 pm
On a sidenote: My size is now available as Aeroad CF SLX 8 eTap in Hot Salsa but I'm not desperate. Yet.
You have the patience of a saint!
I'd feel silly for making compromises on a 6k bike. Also, the color really helps reducing temptation.

I'll wait for the Di2.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

Lbert

by Lbert

cberg wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:14 pm
The Dura Ace CFR comes with a Rotor power meter now, also saw someone on facebook who was offered one for his Ultimate along with a discount. Seems like Shimano cant deliver the 12 speed power meters
The Rotor crankset is only compatible with 11 speed chain, which you can see from the component specification. That means it is a mixed of 12 speed groupset with 11 speed chain and crankset. I think is not ideal.

Jeffouille

by Jeffouille

Did anybody who ordered a bike on thursday already got a delivery date?

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Jeffouille wrote:Did anybody who ordered a bike on thursday already got a delivery date?
Only the approximation of 23th may to June 2nd.
They need to process my payment first however…

byker

by byker

Does anyone know much about the DT Swiss ARC 1600 Dicut wheels? Can't find much info online.
thirdsun wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:29 pm
willvousden wrote:
thirdsun wrote:
On a sidenote: My size is now available as Aeroad CF SLX 8 eTap in Hot Salsa but I'm not desperate. Yet.
I'd feel silly for making compromises on a 6k bike. Also, the color really helps reducing temptation.

I'll wait for the Di2.
Have you decided to go with the Di2 Ultegra version then? I was originally wanting that but SLX 7 with Rival eTap for $1900 CAD less is kinda tempting me.. I know it weights more but it also costs almost 25% less! I guess the other difference is in the wheels so it's worth going with the Di2 version

thirdsun

by thirdsun

byker wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:24 pm
Does anyone know much about the DT Swiss ARC 1600 Dicut wheels? Can't find much info online.
thirdsun wrote:
willvousden wrote:
thirdsun wrote:

I'll wait for the Di2.
Have you decided to go with the Di2 Ultegra version then? I was originally wanting that but SLX 7 with Rival eTap for $1900 CAD less is kinda tempting me.. I know it weights more but it also costs almost 25% less! I guess the other difference is in the wheels so it's worth going with the Di2 version
Those are OEM wheels exclusively for Canyon. As I understand it it's basically a slightly heavier ARC 1400 with a different freehub. I wouldn't worry about the wheels.

I prefer the Di2 version but I'm really tempted by the Rival variant as well. As I already mentioned the weight shouldn't be that much of a concern. However I'm worried by SRAM's ongoing front derailleur adjustment issues and the resulting chain drops. It still seems to be a frequent occurence (Any SRAM riders here?). I'm not sure if that's worth 1.5k € of price difference but let's not pretend that 5k is a no-brainer budget price. In these regions one might as well do it right.

I think I can rule out the Force version though. Same concerns as the Rival option but very little savings.

Since neither bike is available in my size right now I still have time to contemplate my decision... 😕
  • Vitus Venon Evo

wozzo

by wozzo

I would happily go with Rival, if only there was a black/white option to go with it. Not sure about other regions, but in Poland Rival only goes with salsa and pale green. The price is super tempting and since I'm 90kg myself I don't care about additional 1kg of an group set. Have 2 friend riding rival etap for some time already. No issues at all.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Uhm, so I might understand the computer mount is not included but is the oval saddle clamp really also not included? Would seem a bit weird on a 6500€ bike, but the scope of delivery list is REALLY vague. I mean what’s the canyon small box anyways

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Eterna7m wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:18 am
Uhm, so I might understand the computer mount is not included but is the oval saddle clamp really also not included? Would seem a bit weird on a 6500€ bike, but the scope of delivery list is REALLY vague. I mean what’s the canyon small box anyways
As far as I know oval saddle clamps are not included. I guess you could see it from a different perspective too: Would seem weird to complain about spending a few extra buckss on a 6500 € bike :)

Seriously though, I get your frustration but this is easily fixed.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

thirdsun

by thirdsun

wozzo wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:15 am
I would happily go with Rival, if only there was a black/white option to go with it. Not sure about other regions, but in Poland Rival only goes with salsa and pale green. The price is super tempting and since I'm 90kg myself I don't care about additional 1kg of an group set. Have 2 friend riding rival etap for some time already. No issues at all.
Rival is tempting indeed. If I could be sure to not run into chronic chain drops I guess wouldn't hesitate but those countless reports and experiences in cycling forums have me worried.

Also, I actually like the Pale Green version.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

byker

by byker

thirdsun wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:57 am
byker wrote:
thirdsun wrote:
willvousden wrote:

I'll wait for the Di2.
Those are OEM wheels exclusively for Canyon. As I understand it it's basically a slightly heavier ARC 1400 with a different freehub. I wouldn't worry about the wheels.

I prefer the Di2 version but I'm really tempted by the Rival variant as well. As I already mentioned the weight shouldn't be that much of a concern. However I'm worried by SRAM's ongoing front derailleur adjustment issues and the resulting chain drops. It still seems to be a frequent occurence (Any SRAM riders here?). I'm not sure if that's worth 1.5k € of price difference but let's not pretend that 5k is a no-brainer budget price. In these regions one might as well do it right.

I think I can rule out the Force version though. Same concerns as the Rival option but very little savings.

Since neither bike is available in my size right now I still have time to contemplate my decision... 😕
Interesting! I didn't know that about the wheels. I have the same concerns with the SRAM FD, however on the whole most reviews are quite positive.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

thirdsun wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:57 am
byker wrote:
thirdsun wrote:
willvousden wrote:

I'll wait for the Di2.

So is it safe to assume the ARC1600 wheels have DT Swiss 350 hubs (ARC1100's have 180 hubs and ARC1400's have 240 hubs) which are heavy but bombproof, or do they have a pawl hub system?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Bike will not come with oval clamp, and at least in the US I was told not available until October.

I dropped a chain with Force AXS on my SLX 3 times. 2x inside, 1 time outside. Had the LBS look at it and adjust multiple times.

I have adjusted the RED myself on the CFR and installed a chain catcher. So far no drops, but only three rides on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com