2021 Canyon Aeroad

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm

by spartacus

Cannoli wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:34 pm
spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm
Still cracks me up that canyon won't just come out and tell everyone what's going on. Honestly this whole spectacle has been some of the most shocking "customer service" and "engineering" I've seen I've seen. The fact that people here are still trying to buy an aeroad is mind blowing.
Why do you say that? Do you own one? Have you ridden one?

While it's terribly unfortunate for those who have had real issues with their Aeroad's (cracked chain stays, etc.), some of us haven't had any issues with our bikes whatsoever. In fact, my CFR is by far the best bike I've ever owned in terms of performance and "fun factor". Having two CFR's in my household without a single issue (my wife and I), and after almost 10,000 km ridden combined, from my perspective, those who wait out the growing pains of the Aeroad will be richly rewarded with an absolutely amazing bike.
Why do I say that? Really? Lol anyway I know it's good but I'm not convinced there's much of a difference between most/all top road bikes and there are tons of great options people are sleeping on while being fixated on only a few (or just one) bikes.

thirdsun
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:20 pm

by thirdsun

spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm
The fact that people here are still trying to buy an aeroad is mind blowing.
I think Canyon still offers an incredible price/performance ratio. I won't hesitate buying an Aeroad once they are available again. And I'll probably replace my current Endurace as well once Canyon introduces a major Endurace update.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



thirdsun
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:20 pm

by thirdsun

spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:53 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:34 pm
spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm
Still cracks me up that canyon won't just come out and tell everyone what's going on. Honestly this whole spectacle has been some of the most shocking "customer service" and "engineering" I've seen I've seen. The fact that people here are still trying to buy an aeroad is mind blowing.
Why do you say that? Do you own one? Have you ridden one?

While it's terribly unfortunate for those who have had real issues with their Aeroad's (cracked chain stays, etc.), some of us haven't had any issues with our bikes whatsoever. In fact, my CFR is by far the best bike I've ever owned in terms of performance and "fun factor". Having two CFR's in my household without a single issue (my wife and I), and after almost 10,000 km ridden combined, from my perspective, those who wait out the growing pains of the Aeroad will be richly rewarded with an absolutely amazing bike.
Why do I say that? Really? Lol anyway I know it's good but I'm not convinced there's much of a difference between most/all top road bikes and there are tons of great options people are sleeping on while being fixated on only a few (or just one) bikes.
I think the most obvious difference among the high end options is pricing. Still hard to compete with Canyon's offering.

User avatar
willvousden
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:34 pm
Contact:

by willvousden

spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:53 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:34 pm
spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm
Still cracks me up that canyon won't just come out and tell everyone what's going on. Honestly this whole spectacle has been some of the most shocking "customer service" and "engineering" I've seen I've seen. The fact that people here are still trying to buy an aeroad is mind blowing.
Why do you say that? Do you own one? Have you ridden one?

While it's terribly unfortunate for those who have had real issues with their Aeroad's (cracked chain stays, etc.), some of us haven't had any issues with our bikes whatsoever. In fact, my CFR is by far the best bike I've ever owned in terms of performance and "fun factor". Having two CFR's in my household without a single issue (my wife and I), and after almost 10,000 km ridden combined, from my perspective, those who wait out the growing pains of the Aeroad will be richly rewarded with an absolutely amazing bike.
Why do I say that? Really? Lol anyway I know it's good but I'm not convinced there's much of a difference between most/all top road bikes and there are tons of great options people are sleeping on while being fixated on only a few (or just one) bikes.
The big difference is value for money. I really wanted to buy a Cervélo S-Series or S5, because they look incredible (and I like the brand). But when you look at the specs on paper and then compare the price, they simply cannot compete with an Aeroad.

An Ultegra Di2 S-Series, for example, is about 15% more expensive than the equivalent Aeroad CF SLX, but also (probably) less aerodynamic, nearly 1 kg heavier (7.7 kg vs 8.5 kg), has considerably worse wheels (DT 370 hubs on a €6600 bike? really?) and none of the clever cockpit features that an Aeroad has. Even the equivalent S5 is arguably slightly worse in terms of spec, or at most equal (still only has DT 350 hubs), and costs €3000 more.

Like I said, I really wanted to buy a Cervélo (and had the opportunity to), but I just can't justify it against an Aeroad.
Last edited by willvousden on Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spartacus
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm

by spartacus

willvousden wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:36 pm
spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:53 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:34 pm
spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm
Still cracks me up that canyon won't just come out and tell everyone what's going on. Honestly this whole spectacle has been some of the most shocking "customer service" and "engineering" I've seen I've seen. The fact that people here are still trying to buy an aeroad is mind blowing.
Why do you say that? Do you own one? Have you ridden one?

While it's terribly unfortunate for those who have had real issues with their Aeroad's (cracked chain stays, etc.), some of us haven't had any issues with our bikes whatsoever. In fact, my CFR is by far the best bike I've ever owned in terms of performance and "fun factor". Having two CFR's in my household without a single issue (my wife and I), and after almost 10,000 km ridden combined, from my perspective, those who wait out the growing pains of the Aeroad will be richly rewarded with an absolutely amazing bike.
Why do I say that? Really? Lol anyway I know it's good but I'm not convinced there's much of a difference between most/all top road bikes and there are tons of great options people are sleeping on while being fixated on only a few (or just one) bikes.
The big difference is value for money. I really wanted to buy a Cervélo S-Series or S5, because they look incredible (and I like the brand). But when you look at the specs on paper and then compare the price, they simply cannot compete with an Aeroad.

An Ultegra Di2 S-Series, for example, is about 15% more expensive than the equivalent Aeroad CF SLX, but also (probably) less aerodynamic, nearly 1 kg heavier (7.7 kg vs 8.5 kg), has considerably worse wheels (DT 370 hubs on a €6600 bike? really?) and none of the clever cockpit features that an Aeroad has. Even the equivalent S5 is arguably slightly worse in terms of spec, or at most equal, and costs €3000 more.

Like I said, I really wanted to buy a Cervélo (and had the opportunity to), but I just can't justify it against an Aeroad.
I see your point but this is exactly what I'm taling about. It has to be the cervelo or the aeroad? What about any of a dozen different bikes like an Orbea, Scott, Quntana Roo, Trek, Specialized, or a Giant.. Could go on and on. The argument about it being a good value would hold a lot more water if 1.) you could buy an aeroad or 2.) those that did didn't get jerked around/told to stop riding it for a year, and are still possibly stuck dealing with long term issues. And it's not like you get nothing if you buy from a real brand, typically you get some kind of support or service versus having to ship the bike back to Germany because they screwed up designing multiple parts on the same bike.

User avatar
willvousden
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:34 pm
Contact:

by willvousden

spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:46 pm
willvousden wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:36 pm
spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:53 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:34 pm


Why do you say that? Do you own one? Have you ridden one?

While it's terribly unfortunate for those who have had real issues with their Aeroad's (cracked chain stays, etc.), some of us haven't had any issues with our bikes whatsoever. In fact, my CFR is by far the best bike I've ever owned in terms of performance and "fun factor". Having two CFR's in my household without a single issue (my wife and I), and after almost 10,000 km ridden combined, from my perspective, those who wait out the growing pains of the Aeroad will be richly rewarded with an absolutely amazing bike.
Why do I say that? Really? Lol anyway I know it's good but I'm not convinced there's much of a difference between most/all top road bikes and there are tons of great options people are sleeping on while being fixated on only a few (or just one) bikes.
The big difference is value for money. I really wanted to buy a Cervélo S-Series or S5, because they look incredible (and I like the brand). But when you look at the specs on paper and then compare the price, they simply cannot compete with an Aeroad.

An Ultegra Di2 S-Series, for example, is about 15% more expensive than the equivalent Aeroad CF SLX, but also (probably) less aerodynamic, nearly 1 kg heavier (7.7 kg vs 8.5 kg), has considerably worse wheels (DT 370 hubs on a €6600 bike? really?) and none of the clever cockpit features that an Aeroad has. Even the equivalent S5 is arguably slightly worse in terms of spec, or at most equal, and costs €3000 more.

Like I said, I really wanted to buy a Cervélo (and had the opportunity to), but I just can't justify it against an Aeroad.
I see your point but this is exactly what I'm taling about. It has to be the cervelo or the aeroad? What about any of a dozen different bikes like an Orbea, Scott, Quntana Roo, Trek, Specialized, or a Giant.. Could go on and on. The argument about it being a good value would hold a lot more water if 1.) you could buy an aeroad or 2.) those that did didn't get jerked around/told to stop riding it for a year, and are still possibly stuck dealing with long term issues. And it's not like you get nothing if you buy from a real brand, typically you get some kind of support or service versus having to ship the bike back to Germany because they screwed up designing multiple parts on the same bike.
Well, I haven't bought anything yet, and not much is available anyway, so it's a moot point :) I'm biding my time and waiting to see what becomes of the Aeroad debacle before making any decisions. It still ticks all the boxes for me, so if they can sort their act out, I'll give them my money. It's winter anyway, so I'm not gonna be riding a bike like that in my part of the world until spring rolls around.

EsotericCyclist
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:21 am
Location: Midwest USA

by EsotericCyclist

Price on the new Aeroad with Di2 Ultegra is yet to be seen, but over here in the US I can't imagine it will stay at $5,999. It will defintely be more than the equivelantly spec'd SRAM bike, that goes without saying because it's a newer groupset. Even if if goes up to $6,500 it would still be a better value than any of the comparable bikes from Trek$$$, Orbea, Scott, Specialized, Giant, Colnago etc, and I keep checking other brands out. But like mentioned earlier, it's a moot point because you can't really get your hands on any of them right now.

I think that the new Aeroad frames being produced will have the kinks worked out, but I do kind of feel for those who have had to have their frame revised for the sleeve bearing. I could see them possibly having issues down the road, but I think the warranty starts over so that's good. Plus they did get some compensation out of the ordeal.

BertD
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:27 am

by BertD

So I've been waiting for my new Aeroad for over a year now (first waited until it was available again, then ordered it in January), and I still think it's a super cool bike to see, but I'm starting to wonder if I will ever get it AT ALL.
The only reason I haven't canceled yet is the Global Bike Shortage, otherwise I would have ordered something else long ago, my patience is more than over and that is mainly due to the total lack of communication and openness.
To be honest, I'm starting to suspect that more structural problems have come to light on a large scale with, for example, cracking chain stays. Replacing seatposts really doesn't have to take that long: the last message we got was from September saying 'it wouldn't be long before you get your bike'.
It's December tomorrow.

Aerohead23
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:35 am

by Aerohead23

Bikes starting to shop up if you look hard enough, https://www.bike24.com/p2470045.html

BertD
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:27 am

by BertD

Tempting....

spartacus
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm

by spartacus

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:00 pm
But like mentioned earlier, it's a moot point because you can't really get your hands on any of them right now.
All the 2022 bikes are coming out, if you try AT ALL you can find something. Maybe it won't be the exact color or build :noidea: When I bought my Tarmac SL7 this spring "all the bikes were gone" but sure enough I called the shop down the street and they had a 56cm tarmac. If I didn't even try I never would have found it.

EsotericCyclist
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:21 am
Location: Midwest USA

by EsotericCyclist

spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:19 pm
EsotericCyclist wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:00 pm
But like mentioned earlier, it's a moot point because you can't really get your hands on any of them right now.
All the 2022 bikes are coming out, if you try AT ALL you can find something. Maybe it won't be the exact color or build :noidea: When I bought my Tarmac SL7 this spring "all the bikes were gone" but sure enough I called the shop down the street and they had a 56cm tarmac. If I didn't even try I never would have found it.
Yes this may be true in some cases, but none of the shops around me have anything and I have checked. My Specialized dealer has many Tarmacs on "order" but no certainty of when they'll come in. Same with the Trek/Giant store down the road, and the Orbea shop just a bit further. So I have looked, but I'm not willing to plunk down that kind of cash to ride something I find which I hate looking at because it was the only color they had. :mrgreen: Say what you will, but aesthetics play a large roll in things we buy.

Of course I will still look around and I do hope that supply chains get better, but with new things on the horizon it looks to be a slower back to normal than we thought. :beerchug:

User avatar
Konsi
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:34 pm
Location: Genève
Contact:

by Konsi

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:00 pm
Price on the new Aeroad with Di2 Ultegra is yet to be seen, but over here in the US I can't imagine it will stay at $5,999. It will defintely be more than the equivelantly spec'd SRAM bike, that goes without saying because it's a newer groupset. Even if if goes up to $6,500 it would still be a better value than any of the comparable bikes from Trek$$$, Orbea, Scott, Specialized, Giant, Colnago etc, and I keep checking other brands out. But like mentioned earlier, it's a moot point because you can't really get your hands on any of them right now.
I am not so sure about the Canyon being that much better on the value proposition anymore. For ~6.3k you can get the Scott Foil 10 with the new Ultegra 12s, or the new Orbea Aero bike, also with the new Ultegra, Vision 55, custom paint, and you can choose all components and sizes (stem length, handlebar width etc).

tomtom
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:01 am

by tomtom

Konsi wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:59 am
EsotericCyclist wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:00 pm
Price on the new Aeroad with Di2 Ultegra is yet to be seen, but over here in the US I can't imagine it will stay at $5,999. It will defintely be more than the equivelantly spec'd SRAM bike, that goes without saying because it's a newer groupset. Even if if goes up to $6,500 it would still be a better value than any of the comparable bikes from Trek$$$, Orbea, Scott, Specialized, Giant, Colnago etc, and I keep checking other brands out. But like mentioned earlier, it's a moot point because you can't really get your hands on any of them right now.
I am not so sure about the Canyon being that much better on the value proposition anymore. For ~6.3k you can get the Scott Foil 10 with the new Ultegra 12s, or the new Orbea Aero bike, also with the new Ultegra, Vision 55, custom paint, and you can choose all components and sizes (stem length, handlebar width etc).
Differences are smaller than they used to be but if you take all specs into account (so also weight, wheels, tires, saddles etc) Canyon is still (much) cheaper. Options in handlebar/stem are a little bit more difficult but I was always able to do so. The story with my/the Aeroad continues; I'm getting a new frame (CFR chrome) because of the minimal paint damage of the horizontal stripes. In order to keep my 6 years guarantee (2 years was always in order) I had to agree with new bars & seatpost/sleeve. I'm getting 1300 euro compensation and could also send the whole set back with 700 euro less return because I sold the SRAM stuff of the frameset). All in all not ideal (but what would be in this situation?) but Canyon Netherlands also offered they themselves would do the changes and they explaned everything fully, clear and with patience. In the end I have payed about 2200 euro for the set so a little more room for me to buy a Grail AL with Sram Rival XPLR :mrgreen:
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

tomtom
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:01 am

by tomtom

Cannoli wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:34 pm
spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm
Still cracks me up that canyon won't just come out and tell everyone what's going on. Honestly this whole spectacle has been some of the most shocking "customer service" and "engineering" I've seen I've seen. The fact that people here are still trying to buy an aeroad is mind blowing.
Why do you say that? Do you own one? Have you ridden one?

While it's terribly unfortunate for those who have had real issues with their Aeroad's (cracked chain stays, etc.), some of us haven't had any issues with our bikes whatsoever. In fact, my CFR is by far the best bike I've ever owned in terms of performance and "fun factor". Having two CFR's in my household without a single issue (my wife and I), and after almost 10,000 km ridden combined, from my perspective, those who wait out the growing pains of the Aeroad will be richly rewarded with an absolutely amazing bike.
Because he (or she :D ?) ALWAYS likes to commend on Canyon stuff when he can.....! I like my Aeroad (despide all the "shit") also still very, very much. Hell I'm even gravelling with it; 32mm front and 35mm back (Pirelli Cinturato TL) 8)
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply