2021 Canyon Aeroad

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

spartacus wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:14 am
yourrealdad wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:44 pm
Since we are all just positing theories I would guess that if MVDP bar hadn't snapped on live TV then Canyon wouldn't have done anything because nothing would ever happen to the bars that people are riding until they crashed or overtightened the clamps, both of which are user error and not really up to Canyon to fix. Now if normal torque was causing the bars to break with no previous damage then that is a different issue, but that isn't what happened. A bar that was crashed was continued to be ridden.
And here we are today being rich, whiny, entitled roadies :lol:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the reason it broke from the crash was because of the clamp design, and that shifters mounted to round bars with normal clamps tend to just rotate in a crash.
I never heard that but could have missed it. What I remember is MVDP hits a rear view mirror and either crashed or hit the bars super hard because of it. A day or two later using the same bars that could have possibly been overtightened (this is still an assumption) and causes the clamp to dig into the bars which could already be weakend. Then the bars break.
My point is if a handlebar is involved in a crash and then breaks we can't really say that the handlebar was flawed. If I was a pro I would have cockpit parts swapped every crash. Not worth the risk.
I would still prefer Canyon's approach to Specialized.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:11 pm
But would Canyon (or any other bike company) had issued the immeditate stop ride order if it didn't happen to fail on a televised pro road race?

My guess is Canyon's response would look a lot more like Specialized if it hadn't.
I think they would. Reading this it seems they were rather careful and diligent in their handling of the issue: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/03/ct-excl ... g-forward/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:54 pm
Yes that's exactly what they said, and they added that dirt was getting in much later. But I don't think they would have added the seal if they didn't have to issue a stop ride for the bars
They definitely would have, my bike was due for delivery in the second week of February but it got stalled because of the seatpost issues. About 3 weeks after this, on the 2nd of March, MVDP broke his cockpit and soon after the stop-ride call followed. Canyon was busy with fixing the seatpost issues well before the cockpit issues arose

tomtom

by tomtom

thirdsun wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:56 am
Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:11 pm
But would Canyon (or any other bike company) had issued the immeditate stop ride order if it didn't happen to fail on a televised pro road race?

My guess is Canyon's response would look a lot more like Specialized if it hadn't.
I think they would. Reading this it seems they were rather careful and diligent in their handling of the issue: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/03/ct-excl ... g-forward/
But NOT so careful to customers in many perspectives! I have read this (very good) article many months ago and it explained a lot. I still don't know why Canyon did not spread this the "official" way.
Canyon Aeroad CFR

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

What do you mean? Handlebar breaks, Canyon immediately issues stop ride. Through an official email btw. How were they not careful?

Seatpost wear is not a safety issue and does not require a stop ride or even telling consumers while a fix is being made.

Every time advances in the process were made an email was sent out. Pandemic causes this to be slower than normal, but when you buy a bike they don't guarantee 12 emails a week regarding updates.

You get an update when they have one

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

yourrealdad wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:59 am
What do you mean? Handlebar breaks, Canyon immediately issues stop ride. Through an official email btw. How were they not careful?

Seatpost wear is not a safety issue and does not require a stop ride or even telling consumers while a fix is being made.

Every time advances in the process were made an email was sent out. Pandemic causes this to be slower than normal, but when you buy a bike they don't guarantee 12 emails a week regarding updates.

I think most peoples issue is the timing and the inaccuracy of the updates. This certainly applies to me. The last formal update was 8 weeks ago when I was told,
"In the next few days, we will be able to start the revision of all ordered and not yet delivered Aeroads".

8 weeks later and they still have no update and I have made contact on more than one occassion myself. It's impossible to get any information which makes it look like nobody knows whats going on.
On the timing side, the last update was on the day Shimano released their 12speed groupset effectively devaluing the 11speed option. They also launched the 12sp on an MVDP spec Aeroad. I don't think the pandemic caused the design flaw or made the decision to inform me on immenent delivery. It's too easy to hide behind the pandemic - and Canyon haven't used this as an excuse in any communication.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

2 vague non commital updates in 8 months is not keeping people up to date. I don't care what anyone says

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Well I was mostly referring to the communication of protecting customers vs. Specialized in a recent post.

Also I went back and looked. I have 8 general emails from Canyon that are not responses to me. I have a few more that are direct responses to my questioning as well as a few phone calls that were made at the beginning of this issue. I personally would say an email a month is actually pretty good communication.

What do you want from them? An email every two weeks saying "Hey still working on it, we will send you another email in two weeks saying the same thing because we really don't need to give you insight into our daily operations and progress."

I am probably not going to continue to be a Canyon customer unless the prices for bikes continues to skyrocket and they continue to stay extremely competitive, but it doesn't have anything to do with their communication or quality of bikes.

Jeffouille

by Jeffouille

yourrealdad wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:45 pm
Well I was mostly referring to the communication of protecting customers vs. Specialized in a recent post.

Also I went back and looked. I have 8 general emails from Canyon that are not responses to me. I have a few more that are direct responses to my questioning as well as a few phone calls that were made at the beginning of this issue. I personally would say an email a month is actually pretty good communication.

What do you want from them? An email every two weeks saying "Hey still working on it, we will send you another email in two weeks saying the same thing because we really don't need to give you insight into our daily operations and progress."

I am probably not going to continue to be a Canyon customer unless the prices for bikes continues to skyrocket and they continue to stay extremely competitive, but it doesn't have anything to do with their communication or quality of bikes.
Out of curiosity I checked how many updates I got from Canyon concerning the aeroad. I got two in March, one end of June and one on the 31 of August.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Including both seatpost and handlebar emails I have received 8 as well. The first one for me was Feb 3rd, and the last email was from Sept 17th. I shouldn't be getting any more emails as I went with a refund.

BertD

by BertD

I've had four general messages, on March 1, March 17, June 24, and August 31. Apparently there is a difference between customers who already had a bicycle and customers who ordered in January, I ordered in January. I think the communication is sad, of course there is no need for an update every week, but it is not only the frequency of the messages, the content also makes a difference. And the content raised more questions than it answered in all posts. If you then ask your questions to customer service, you will still not receive an answer. For example when introducing new groupsets, Canyon does not provide any opportunity to adjust your order or Canyon does not make a suitable offer to update your order. The only option is to cancel and rejoin the back of the line. Or how about the message in June that the seatpost would be tested in the Tour de France, then it would be nice to inform your customers afterwards whether the test was successful or whether unexpected things have come to light...
It's just poor, especially in the perspective of the price of the bikes, for that money you expect just a little extra service, because let's be honest, at least 6000 €/$ is just a LOT of money for a bike .

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Jeffouille wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:10 pm
yourrealdad wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:45 pm

Out of curiosity I checked how many updates I got from Canyon concerning the aeroad. I got two in March, one end of June and one on the 31 of August.
Me too, so that's one when it happened and two updates. If you had a bike maybe you got more. But waitin in a bike we got F:€k all

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

BertD wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:12 pm
let's be honest, at least 6000 €/$ is just a LOT of money for a bike .
This I agree with wholeheartedly

tomtom

by tomtom

yourrealdad wrote:

Did you read the article? Al kinds of stuff in there that probably a lot of customers of Canyon would have like to have heard/known from Canyon directly. There is a big difference between 12 emails a week or one every three months with MINIMAL information which also often no true. I was promised an email for an apointment for a barchange during the first two weeks of august....still waiting for that. Just one of the many flaws in communication and/or solutions. I have the advantage of having an Aeroad and "dare' to ride it. So for me it's not that urgent but that's beside the point. I don't think this is the way Canyon should and/or could work.....
Canyon Aeroad CFR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomtom

by tomtom

tomtom wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:17 pm
yourrealdad wrote:

Did you read the article? Al kinds of stuff in there that probably a lot of customers of Canyon would have like to have heard/known from Canyon directly. There is a big difference between 12 emails a week or one every 2/3 months with MINIMAL information which also often no true/right. I was promised an email for an apointment for a barchange during the first two weeks of august....still waiting for that. Just one of the many flaws in communication and/or solutions. I have the advantage of having an Aeroad and "dare' to ride it. So for me it's not that urgent but that's beside the point. I don't think this is the way Canyon should and/or could work.....
Canyon Aeroad CFR