Where do you carry your tools on the bike?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

we51 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:04 pm
openwheelracing wrote:Chris Horner did a video on what he carries (in a saddle bag unfortunately), but one thing caught my eye is duct tape. I haven't had such dire situation, but it makes sense and doesn't weight anything.
Wrap a bit of duct tape around a CO2 cartridge. Comes in handy as a tire boot.
That's what I do...except I use Gorilla tape. Pretty much the same...but when a spoke broke, duct tape didn't hold...and another time, I tried Gorilla which worked.
- Factor 02 VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Ti
- AX Lightness VIAL evo Rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:21 pm
Roozbeh60 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:58 pm
bobones wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 pm
Rapha Essentials Case in middle jersey pocket, which is stuffed to the gunnels with gear for every eventuality. Easy to pick up before a ride and use with any bike. Nothing goes on bike. I used to have one bike with a pump attached to the downtube bottle cage, but unbenownst to me it wore off quite a lot of paint so never again.
I've come across that multiple times on Rapha but never thought it would fit into a pocket! Good call.
A few people mentioned Tubeless? There is no quick repair for them if you get a puncture roadside is there? You need to add sealant and pump it and wait for the sealant to dry off and etc no?
Sounds like another no tool-kit option
For tubeless I take a tyre lever, innertube, a micropump and a CO2 inflator. I have become the go to tyre changer on my group rides. I ended up using my spare tube on a friends bike who came out with aspare mountain bike innertubes instead of 700c!
Besides that...I've loaned my spare for someone that didn't have the right valve stem length with no removable core.
I always used to check mine when I was running tubes...or on my rim brake tubed bike.
- Factor 02 VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Ti
- AX Lightness VIAL evo Rim

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Boof it.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc
2018 Specialized Epic HT Comp Carbon
2019 Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

nickf

by nickf

In my jersey pockets, In a small plastic bag I carry a PB Swiss PB470 tool, CO2, valve extender, valve core, park tire boot. In the other pocket is a tube or 2oz of sealant if I'm running tubulars.

Roozbeh60

by Roozbeh60

Ok. Somehow this thread was more helpful in convincing me to go tubeless than actually deciding on a new tool box location.
I'm definitely going tubeless and will likely first try a tool cup to start since I hate having too many things in my pockets.
thanks everyone!

neomoz

by neomoz

I jump between bikes, so it makes more sense to have a small bag with co2/tube/mini toolkit in it and carry it in my back jersey pocket. I also have a nice small hand pump that can take co2 canisters. All fits nicely in my centre rear pocket.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

bobones wrote:Rapha Essentials Case in middle jersey pocket, which is stuffed to the gunnels with gear for every eventuality. Easy to pick up before a ride and use with any bike. Nothing goes on bike. I used to have one bike with a pump attached to the downtube bottle cage, but unbenownst to me it wore off quite a lot of paint so never again.
This!

The rapha essential case is the best and simple method

warthog101

by warthog101

Saddle bag.
Who gives a rats arse what it looks like?
It works and the stuff is there when I need it.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Saddle bag on one bike, tool bottle on the tt.
No one can pick me up while I'm out, so... Thought of tubeless, but probability of setup issues and the sheer amount of flint here has put me off.

Running Schwalbe durano plus, when tt comes into play again swap for gp5000 maybe for the tt bike. I will propably not win the tt (kids and as a result very bad sleep sees to that anyway) , but I will have fun :-)
Did I say that we have very much flint here?

Roozbeh60

by Roozbeh60

MaxPower wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:09 am
Saddle bag on one bike, tool bottle on the tt.
No one can pick me up while I'm out, so... Thought of tubeless, but probability of setup issues and the sheer amount of flint here has put me off.
This is my fear as well! I'm just about to pick up a set of Zipp 303S and I've heard many tyres loose air more than any other Tubeless due to the hookless design. I seriously don't want to have to carry 2 Co2s and/or a pump with me on rides.

ryanw

by ryanw

A vulcanised tyre on Zipp hookless rim is a match made in heaven.
Mounted some 25c Enve SES tyres last night to some new 454s and they had lost about 4 psi overnight.

As for tool storage, Rapha essential case with the following:

Dynaplug Racer Pro
16g co2
Co2 head
Unior hex multi tool (1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6mm)
Some cash
Safety pin
Topeak Roadie Mini TT pump
SL7 S-Works - 6.59kg
OPEN U.P.P.E.R. - 6.76kg
www.rhinosworkshop.co.uk
IG: RhinosWorkshop

tylermenard

by tylermenard

Inner tube under the saddle between rails

Rapha Essential in the middle pocket:
Lezyne Pocket Drive
Crank Brothers M19
Cloth for glasses
Mask
Cash
Inner tube patch kit
Chain master link
Wet wipes

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I use a roll up tool pouch design for cyclist, I forget the brand. What's in it? A patch kit, 2 tire irons,boot material, a multitool, a carbon mini pump, spare tube. A. thread on CO2 inflater, three CO2 cartidges and a $20. I always have my cellphone. The phone and tool kit in my jersey pockets. Pouches attached to bikes just does not appeal to me. I like the cleaner look of just a bike, computer, computer mount and radar are appeals since they are also essential.

Discodan

by Discodan

Since I've gone tubeless I now use a SSD HDD case for $4 from Aliexrpress which is a lot smaller than the traditional jersey wallet like the rapha. I love it's minimalist size but it does weight a bit

I can fit a pack-plier and second lever, fixit sticks, tubeless plugs, pressure guauge, chain breaker, CR2032 battery, chain hook, CO2 head and a few other bits in there. No CO2 though, that has to go on the pocket by itself

(pic was before I started using fixit sticks)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 5514%22%7D

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I ride off road tubeless and usually carry only inflation tools, but to fix tubeless sidewall tear also need

tube
tire boot (park ones are cheap enough)
tire lever
plier to remove lockring of tubeless valve.. or don't bring one and try your luck

Wolf plier took care of the last 2 things.

So these would be a separate loadout to bring depending where or how far I'm going, I'm thinking to get one of those things that fit in a bottle holder.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com