Where do you carry your tools on the bike?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Roozbeh60
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:48 pm

by Roozbeh60

With the new aero generation trying to shave every gram and make the bike look paper thin from behind, I feel guilty carrying my CO2 and tires and allen keys in a saddle bag. How do you guys carry your tools? I've heard back pockets are an option but I'd prefer not to have 7 items in there.
I've thought of using a bottle cage tool cup but there are days I prefer to have 2 bottles.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



CampagYOLO
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 3:58 pm

by CampagYOLO

The air will be so distorted by the time it reaches the back of your saddle IMO it doesn't matter much. Just use a small bag/roll that doesn't extend beyond the footprint of the saddle.

Roozbeh60
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:48 pm

by Roozbeh60

Ok I'll just say it. Saddle bag looks ugly lol!

openwheelracing
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 am

by openwheelracing

Rear pocket. Fits perfect. I carry only one tube, allen keys, pump, glove and patches. Longer ride I bring extra tube. Still plenty to fix others' issues on the road. No way my road bike gets a fanny pack.

kode54
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm

by kode54

On the days that I need two bottles, I use a small carry case in my jersey pocket. For the longer rides, a bottle cage tool canister.
- Factor 02 VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Ti
- AX Lightness VIAL evo Rim

IchDien
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:23 am
Location: Veneto

by IchDien

For someone who also doesn't like the look saddle bags and putting heavy items in jersey pockets then it is always the absolutely minimum if riding solo just shrink wrapped to the smallest size possible and either put in a tool bottle or in the rear middle jersey pocket.

You might also look into cargo shorts by MAAP, Etxeondo or Rapha?

If I really have to carry two water bottles and lots of other items in my rear pockets (long journey & overnight stay) then I attach a Wolf Tooth B-RAD base bottle cage extender (mine converts two to a four bolt, 2nd picture shows two to five bolt) which you can strap something to which ends up sitting just behind the downtube bottle:

Image

Image

Ultimately if I'm riding tubulars I don't even bother with tools and just call my partner or a friend in lieu of a taxi.
Last edited by IchDien on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CampagYOLO
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 3:58 pm

by CampagYOLO

Roozbeh60 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:45 pm
Ok I'll just say it. Saddle bag looks ugly lol!
In that case, go tubeless, don't carry a tube and use a repair kit that fits in your bar ends like this:

https://muc-off.com/products/stealth-tu ... cture-plug

That just leaves a multitool and a pump/CO2 for your pockets. You can get some pretty lightweight tools that won't weight you down.

bobones
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:19 am

by bobones

Rapha Essentials Case in middle jersey pocket, which is stuffed to the gunnels with gear for every eventuality. Easy to pick up before a ride and use with any bike. Nothing goes on bike. I used to have one bike with a pump attached to the downtube bottle cage, but unbenownst to me it wore off quite a lot of paint so never again.

User avatar
Lucendi
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:37 pm
Location: Sweden

by Lucendi

I carry no tools, nor spares.

If I can't limp home I call a taxi.

openwheelracing
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 am

by openwheelracing

Chris Horner did a video on what he carries (in a saddle bag unfortunately), but one thing caught my eye is duct tape. I haven't had such dire situation, but it makes sense and doesn't weight anything.

Roozbeh60
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:48 pm

by Roozbeh60

bobones wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 pm
Rapha Essentials Case in middle jersey pocket, which is stuffed to the gunnels with gear for every eventuality. Easy to pick up before a ride and use with any bike. Nothing goes on bike. I used to have one bike with a pump attached to the downtube bottle cage, but unbenownst to me it wore off quite a lot of paint so never again.
I've come across that multiple times on Rapha but never thought it would fit into a pocket! Good call.
A few people mentioned Tubeless? There is no quick repair for them if you get a puncture roadside is there? You need to add sealant and pump it and wait for the sealant to dry off and etc no?
Sounds like another no tool-kit option

we51
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 am

by we51

openwheelracing wrote:Chris Horner did a video on what he carries (in a saddle bag unfortunately), but one thing caught my eye is duct tape. I haven't had such dire situation, but it makes sense and doesn't weight anything.
Wrap a bit of duct tape around a CO2 cartridge. Comes in handy as a tire boot.

Zero7
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:38 pm

by Zero7

Lezyne Road Caddy works for me. Velcros to the seat rails and does not touch the seat post. Slick design and only $20
https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-sb-rdcaddy-v104

mikemelbrooks
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:58 pm

by mikemelbrooks

Roozbeh60 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:58 pm
bobones wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 pm
Rapha Essentials Case in middle jersey pocket, which is stuffed to the gunnels with gear for every eventuality. Easy to pick up before a ride and use with any bike. Nothing goes on bike. I used to have one bike with a pump attached to the downtube bottle cage, but unbenownst to me it wore off quite a lot of paint so never again.
I've come across that multiple times on Rapha but never thought it would fit into a pocket! Good call.
A few people mentioned Tubeless? There is no quick repair for them if you get a puncture roadside is there? You need to add sealant and pump it and wait for the sealant to dry off and etc no?
Sounds like another no tool-kit option
For tubeless I take a tyre lever, innertube, a micropump and a CO2 inflator. I have become the go to tyre changer on my group rides. I ended up using my spare tube on a friends bike who came out with aspare mountain bike innertubes instead of 700c!

bobones
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:19 am

by bobones

Roozbeh60 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:58 pm
bobones wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 pm
Rapha Essentials Case in middle jersey pocket, which is stuffed to the gunnels with gear for every eventuality. Easy to pick up before a ride and use with any bike. Nothing goes on bike. I used to have one bike with a pump attached to the downtube bottle cage, but unbenownst to me it wore off quite a lot of paint so never again.
I've come across that multiple times on Rapha but never thought it would fit into a pocket! Good call.
A few people mentioned Tubeless? There is no quick repair for them if you get a puncture roadside is there? You need to add sealant and pump it and wait for the sealant to dry off and etc no?
Sounds like another no tool-kit option
For tubeless punctures that don't seal while riding, my first option is to plug the hole with one or two Dynaplugs. If that doesn't work then I bite the bullet and fit a tube. I don't actually carry sealant with me as there should be enough in the tyre already, but it could be useful to do so.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply