Specialized S-works 8 rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Ritsuke wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:16 pm
gorkypl wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:51 pm
When I was buying S-works 7 last week, a local Specialized dealer told me that some new shoes are to be presented soon. Do you have any idea if this can be S-works 8, or was it only about these new knitted gravel shoes?
Ryan mentioned something about new shoes earlier in this topic. I'm hoping S-Works 7 with laces just as the Recon.
Fingers crossed for laces to make their return to their road shoe lineup!

kode54

by kode54

treyxt wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:11 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 pm
jadedaid wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:45 pm
chris1234 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 pm

We saw pros using the Ares a few months before release so feels like time is running out.
Good point. Looks like 2021 is not the year of release, which given supply chains and all may be the right call.
Well, I decided to just go ahead and pick up the Ares with the recent restock of my size. So with my luck, they'll drop in a week.

Update: Just got the Ares but have to return them I think. Kind of bummed out. Weight was 536g for size 45 pair. I'm warming up to the look of them, got the all white color. And initially they felt good. But after 5-10 minutes of just wearing them and walking around on my carpet, my heels were in pain. There's part of the plastic heel cups that digs in to the inner part of my heel on both sides, and got quite painful the longer I kep them on. Have a hot spot and I wasn't even pedaling. Tried to get my heel locked in, but it still moves just enough to rub.
You really shouldn't judge cycling shoes by how they feel when you're walking in them. Take a few rides in them and base your opinion on that. (Not saying you wont have the same issue, but these aren't meant for walking.)
Yes. Feels so much different riding. But that may negate the return policy?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Love my Ares.

So comfy now. Did 7 hours in hot weather (for me!) today and feet were still peachy at the end.

One thing I have found with my two pairs though,, is that they do take a few rides to loosen up.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

treyxt wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:11 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 pm
jadedaid wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:45 pm
chris1234 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 pm

We saw pros using the Ares a few months before release so feels like time is running out.
Good point. Looks like 2021 is not the year of release, which given supply chains and all may be the right call.
Well, I decided to just go ahead and pick up the Ares with the recent restock of my size. So with my luck, they'll drop in a week.

Update: Just got the Ares but have to return them I think. Kind of bummed out. Weight was 536g for size 45 pair. I'm warming up to the look of them, got the all white color. And initially they felt good. But after 5-10 minutes of just wearing them and walking around on my carpet, my heels were in pain. There's part of the plastic heel cups that digs in to the inner part of my heel on both sides, and got quite painful the longer I kep them on. Have a hot spot and I wasn't even pedaling. Tried to get my heel locked in, but it still moves just enough to rub.
You really shouldn't judge cycling shoes by how they feel when you're walking in them. Take a few rides in them and base your opinion on that. (Not saying you wont have the same issue, but these aren't meant for walking.)
If they hurt just wearing them, I don't think they're going to become more comfortable. I don't think I've ever had shoes that do that. I know pedaling isn't walking, but they dug in just having them on, and it got worse when walking. I couldn't even wear them for 10 minutes without being in pain. So I'll wait for the 8, or a different shoe that fits better.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

BLUTACK

by BLUTACK

Advice appreciated! I currently own s-works 7s in a 45. They are a little too small in the right foot and non-stock insoles are a no go. I am thinking of making the switch to the Ares. A 45.5 would be better. However, they do not make the team edition in this size (only a 45 or 46). I am wondering if the 46 would be too big or the 45 would fit better than the s-works 7s in a 45…. Any advice would appreciated. Live far away from a stockist and trying to avoid buying more than one pair online to then send one back.

BLUTACK

by BLUTACK

^team edition are the white / black.

kytyree

by kytyree

Feet are pretty individual but if the 7's were small or tight then I'd expect the Ares to be more so. I still use both in a 44 and I feel like I have more room for an aftermarket insole in the 7's.

BLUTACK

by BLUTACK

kytyree wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:33 pm
Feet are pretty individual but if the 7's were small or tight then I'd expect the Ares to be more so. I still use both in a 44 and I feel like I have more room for an aftermarket insole in the 7's.
Thanks!!

AC0

by AC0

kytyree wrote:Feet are pretty individual but if the 7's were small or tight then I'd expect the Ares to be more so. I still use both in a 44 and I feel like I have more room for an aftermarket insole in the 7's.
I would agree. I compared a size 42 s-works 7 and ares side by side and the carbon outsole and the inner sole are both slightly narrower on the ares. Perhaps to facilitate the wrap around nature of the sock.

In my experience ares feels snug, you can tell it is always there, but not tight even with the boa left loose.

If the 7's are already tight I don't think ares will make it better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BLUTACK

by BLUTACK

kytyree wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:33 pm
As you said feet are very individual. I though the Ares had a bigger toe box than the 7s? Are they slimmer elsewhere?

kytyree

by kytyree

That's why I added the caveat. I don't notice the toe box being that much different but they could be, neither is tight on my toes.

But I had a couple of different insoles that I wanted to try out as I had worn out the original ones in the 7's. And I decided to try some in the Ares as well while I had them on hand.

Where I notice the difference is over the top of my foot, maybe the outside ridge as well. With the Ares sock you're only going to get so much volume there but on the 7's you can open them up more.

BLUTACK

by BLUTACK

Went for the Ares, but my right foot is bigger than my left foot probably by half a size or so. Using Spesh insoles which are supposedly one of the thickest. Any tips to decrease the sizing difference other than wearing two pairs of socks on one foot (which Im trying to avoid)?

raffyyy

by raffyyy

BLUTACK wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:55 pm
Went for the Ares, but my right foot is bigger than my left foot probably by half a size or so. Using Spesh insoles which are supposedly one of the thickest. Any tips to decrease the sizing difference other than wearing two pairs of socks on one foot (which Im trying to avoid)?
Hey, I've been using the Ares for about a month now and had a similar problem where my right foot was moving inside the shoe (causing hotspots on the outside) but the left felt rock solid. What solved my issue was using x2 specialized varus wedges on the right shoe to fill it out and now my pedalling action feels really smooth.

bob78h

by bob78h

I just received a pair of Ares in the same size as my S-Works 7 (42). To my surprise the plate seems to be slightly shorter than the SW7 and the insoles are marked "40-41". I had also ordered a pair of the next size up (42.5), these seem to have the same length as the size 42 SW7 and are marked "42-43" as expected.

Just wondering if anyone else has this experience? Did Specialized change the sizing by half a size or is it possible I got a mislabled pair?

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

bob78h wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:31 am
I just received a pair of Ares in the same size as my S-Works 7 (42). To my surprise the plate seems to be slightly shorter than the SW7 and the insoles are marked "40-41". I had also ordered a pair of the next size up (42.5), these seem to have the same length as the size 42 SW7 and are marked "42-43" as expected.

Just wondering if anyone else has this experience? Did Specialized change the sizing by half a size or is it possible I got a mislabled pair?
The inners in my 45's were either 44 or 44.5 if I remember correctly.

They were definitely smaller than in previous models anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com