Improving on Tiagra brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Lately I've been using my wifes bike every day to haul kids - as always I am shocked by how nice such a cheap groupset works - with one exception: the brakes are really awful. Especially from the hoods, there is little bite or feedback. I really have to work my hands to stop. Bike is not far from new, there is no cable drag etc.
This impression is not too different from the two 105 bikes I rented in the past few years, amazing drivetrain but afwul brakes compared to my Campy main bike. I also tried an Ultegra (just in a parking lot) which finally felt good with fast positive bite.

So I am wondering if it might be a good idea to upgrade the calipers. Do the levers match in cable pull? Or maybe just find some different pads from stock. Maybe something softer with better bite, I don't care about wear. Problem is it doesn't have removable pads...

Thanks

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Usually new cables/outers and fitting some decent shoes/pads and giving the whole thing a clean and lube makes a massive difference.
Unless the main pivots have begun to corrode, then it's time to replace.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

Koolstop pads.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Make sure the ends of the cable housing are cut correctly, square.
Try compressionless housing.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

robertbb

by robertbb

SwissStop BXP pads.

MikeD

by MikeD

Clean the rims and pads. Maybe oil or other contamination on thr rims/pads.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

TRP Compressionless cables and Koolstop Salmon pads would make a huge difference.

NickB

by NickB

Campagnolo CA500 Brake Pads Utter game changer. Condor have them and they fit Shimano carriers. I've done all the others.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I just remebered I had a pair of Record brakes for spares/backup. The caliper arms seemed to be same thickness, with a similar hole, so gave them a try. The fat alu nut didn't go in, but just barely - so 10 seconds with the dremel and all fine. The difference in feel with the Campy rubber is really big, the original pads were like wood in comparison. Not sure what is the Shimano reasoning - save a few cents on rubber or make more of a difference towards the more expensive groupsets. Other than this (and the weight) quite an amazing groupset for the money.