Please don’t make this a rim vs disc bloodfest. Stage 17 won with rim brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MoPho

by MoPho

rollinslow wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:00 am
No sponsors, and rim brakes just went gold and silver at the olympics mens road race. There is no way rim brakes are going anywhere when thats what the best riders in the world prefer to win.
You should go out and buy a Pinarello F too, because that's what the best riders in the world prefer to win :roll:

warthog101

by warthog101

Yep ride what type of braking system you want.
Nobody really gives a rat's

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

MoPho wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:17 am
rollinslow wrote:
No sponsors, and rim brakes just went gold and silver at the olympics mens road race. There is no way rim brakes are going anywhere when thats what the best riders in the world prefer to win.
You should go out and buy a Pinarello F too, because that's what the best riders in the world prefer to win :roll:
with obermayers :thumbup:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

jekyll man

by jekyll man

rollinslow wrote:
Well some of that statement was correct
Gold on rim brakes, silver wasn't
Official cafe stop tester

AW84

by AW84

rollinslow wrote:
While it would be great if they stay, there's just no way these teams' bike sponsors don't force them to comply, probably sooner rather than later.

Prawn

by Prawn

jekyll man wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:59 am
rollinslow wrote:
Correct - Silver was on disc brakes. He didn't have a choice, as his sponsor no longer provides a rim brake option. For those athletes whose sponsors still offer both rim and disc (i.e. the gold and bronze medal winners), they elected to ride rim brakes. A reasonable hypothesis is, therefore, that it is all about weight. It is interesting to contemplate the implication if this hypothesis is correct: If the weight limit was, say, 500g less, then there would not be a disc brake to be seen; if it was 500g more, then rim brakes might vanish. At today's arbitrary 6.8kg limit, it's a toss-up. Perhaps that is not a bad thing - it makes for interesting choices!

C36

by C36

Prawn wrote:
jekyll man wrote:
rollinslow wrote:
Correct - Silver was on disc brakes. He didn't have a choice, as his sponsor no longer provides a rim brake option. For those athletes whose sponsors still offer both rim and disc (i.e. the gold and bronze medal winners), they elected to ride rim brakes. A reasonable hypothesis is, therefore, that it is all about weight. It is interesting to contemplate the implication if this hypothesis is correct: If the weight limit was, say, 500g less, then there would not be a disc brake to be seen; if it was 500g more, then rim brakes might vanish. At today's arbitrary 6.8kg limit, it's a toss-up. Perhaps that is not a bad thing - it makes for interesting choices!
Said it multiples times, weight is only one aspect, overall performance (measured or perceived) is the real driver (aero, responsiveness feel, weight…). Few teams did specific work comparing both.

Konsi

by Konsi

jekyll man wrote:
rollinslow wrote:
The new female Olympic champion on the road, who can completely choose her equipment because she has no pro contract, was on discs ;)

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Legitimate question - Is the UCI limit for Women's road bikes also 6.8kg? If that is true, and assuming she was riding a smaller size, disc brakes may not have been any weight penalty for her, whereas they may be for riders of larger sizes. I will say she had some interesting choices in gear, riding a Shimano groupset with SRAM crank, and either Continental tubeless or clinchers - it was hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure they wern't tubs. I sort of like seeing what gear people use when they are not being paid to use it or told what to use by their employer (team).

Prog used both Rim and Disc brakes during the Tour. He used disc brakes on the wet days including Stage 8 where he gained a huge lead, and he used rim brakes during the dry mountain stages. I think this proves that there are advantages to each brake type and he used both to his advantage. If Keisenhofer's disc brake bike could come in at 6.8kg that eliminates one of the biggest drawbacks of disc brakes - the weight, whereas Prog had a reported 400g weight increase with disc's over rim.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

tomato

by tomato

Mocs123 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:56 pm
Legitimate question - Is the UCI limit for Women's road bikes also 6.8kg? If that is true, and assuming she was riding a smaller size, disc brakes may not have been any weight penalty for her, whereas they may be for riders of larger sizes.
Richard Carapaz is 5'7" tall. Anna Kiesenhofer is 5' 5" tall. If Kiesenhofer is on a smaller frame, it is likely only one size smaller than Carapaz. Even then, frame weight doesn't vary much as the size changes.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

Mocs123 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:56 pm
I will say she had some interesting choices in gear, riding a Shimano groupset with SRAM crank, and either Continental tubeless or clinchers - it was hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure they wern't tubs. I sort of like seeing what gear people use when they are not being paid to use it or told what to use by their employer (team).
Maybe not relevant to the conversation, but she also used the Farsports F1 integrated Cockpit. Really interesting in my opinion.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:44 pm

Maybe not relevant to the conversation, but she also used the Farsports F1 integrated Cockpit. Really interesting in my opinion.
Especially since the Scott Addict RC Pro bike she started with had an integrated cockpit already, and I would assume any upgrade(s) she funded herslef, so she must think they are worthwile.

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/prod ... c-pro-bike

rollinslow

by rollinslow

MoPho wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:17 am
rollinslow wrote:
No thanks, I prefer my Mosaic GT-1 with custom paint and Di2 with XTR rotors. I'll let you enjoy that dogma F.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

chorus88

by chorus88

[/quote]
[/quote]

INEOS team on rim brakes (Olympic riders: Amador, Carapaz, Dunbar, Hart, Kwiatkowski, Moscon, Narvaez, Porte, Sivakov, Thomas, Van Baarle & Yates)

UAE team on rim brakes (Olympic riders: Hirschi(?), Majka, McNulty & Pogacar)
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Mocs123

by Mocs123

It could be that there was a weight savings for those riders to ride rim brakes, at least that would be my assumption.

If the UCI was to lower the 6.8kg weight limit to say 5.8kg, rim brakes might have a revival, but as the major brands start to get disc brake bikes down to 6.8kg disc will likely completely take over the pro peleton in a few years. Each brake type has it's advantages, but brands seem to want to sell disc brake bikes, so that's what they push.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com