Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I don't understand - what problems are people having installing the C-clip with a P2M crank? I just use a flat blade screwdriver through the hole in the arm to gently push each prong into the hole in the cup. Very straightforward and takes barely any more time than installing a standard UT crank.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

arkasha1965

by arkasha1965

Mockenrue wrote:I don't understand - what problems are people having installing the C-clip with a P2M crank? I just use a flat blade screwdriver through the hole in the arm to gently push each prong into the hole in the cup. Very straightforward and takes barely any more time than installing a standard UT crank.

Please, which model of P2max have you?

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A6003 utilizzando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Type S, 4 bolt.

AJS914

by AJS914

Is the clip really a "safety" clip? The right side staying in the frame when the left side falls out seems like a small consolation assuming one is still upright.

usr

by usr

I'd say the primary safety is to protect the hirth teeth from accidentally getting loaded by the bolt in a misaligned position during installation which could probably make the link permanently unusable if you keep tightening until the prescribed torque. The clip acts as a third hand so that you can hold the other side with one hand while operating the wrench with the other. Beyond that, the only function is extra positioning if the wave washer happens to be extended (and thus compressible) wider than the wiggle room the drive side bearing has between cup and clip.

mag

by mag

I neither use the C clip with the P2M power meter as it's pretty cumbersome to work with it. No issues without it and the crankset installation & removal are much easier.

tomato

by tomato

mag wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:29 pm
I neither use the C clip with the P2M power meter as it's pretty cumbersome to work with it. No issues without it and the crankset installation & removal are much easier.
Yeah, I need to pull mine tonight to replace the battery; it's a lot easier when you don't have to fuss with the clip.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

What is cumbersome about it?

corky

by corky

AJS914 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:20 pm
Is the clip really a "safety" clip? The right side staying in the frame when the left side falls out seems like a small consolation assuming one is still upright.
It provides a stop for the drive side bearing, this ensures alignment for the chainrings with respect to derailleurs.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

corky wrote:
AJS914 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:20 pm
It provides a stop for the drive side bearing, this ensures alignment for the chainrings with respect to derailleurs.
It beggars belief that Campag spent all that time designing UT yet some people seem to know better than them. Probably the some are the same idiots who bleat about poor gear shifts or excessive bearing wear!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveS

by DaveS

I can sure tell that most Campy users have a low level of mechanical knowledge. As a mechanical engineer, I understand the clip. It has nothing to do with safety. If it's removed, the crank can move far to the right, squashing the wave washer and unloading the right side bearing. The wave washer pushes the whole assembly to the left, preloading both bearings. Not using it is stupid. The clip keeps both bearings loaded and limits the possible side movement to a very small amount.

mag

by mag

Mockenrue wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:36 am
What is cumbersome about it?
In my case it's pretty well hidden so that I have to work with it sort of blindly. And the access it also limited. It may be better with frames using smaller diameter BBs where one could at least see things better, but I decided to not bother in my case.

@ultimobici @DaveS
I understand the clip function yet I still decided to omit it. I simply reserve my right to make some decisions, weighing up the pros & cons and giving up something for something else. If a serious problem comes up because of that I know why and I'm ready to blame only myself. :-P

AJS914

by AJS914

Thanks- "safety" clip just sounded implausible.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

The clip is intended to limit the lateral movement which is allowed by the compression of the wavy washer if the frame is at the lower end of tolerances, and the washer is not fully compressed. This is typically of the order of 0.25mm, which can, in some circumstances, have an impact on front changing, and if a rider has a particularly asymmetric style.

It is not normally a big deal at all to use it, but when using SRM and P2M Campag cranks it is harder and it is worth seeing if your frame and style do need the clip.

As a relevant observation, C-Bear UT BBs do not use the clip.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

As much force as the front EPS derailluer can provide, I suspect, without the clip, shifting to the big ring would not be as good. My clip is always installed and could not share what the difference are if it is not.