Who can design a 3D printed Tarmac SL7 stem spacer for MY19 Venge frames?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Are you interested?

Yes, interested
74%
No, not interested
26%

Total votes: 19

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Maddie wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:04 am

The final look with a SL7 stem. Unfortunately, it will take some time until I mount it on my Venge. Already looking forward to reroute the cables internally once more…

This is really, really nice work - well done! Can you give a shot to 3-d scanning it using an iPhone app? There are a bunch of recommendations here - but if you don't have the latest iPhone pro, I'd try Qlone, as the background image you print first should give more accurate dimensions https://www.3dnatives.com/en/top-3d-sca ... 050820204/

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

If I can get hold of the relevant parts (SL7 spacer and Venge dust cover) then I can get some scans done and potentially put something together.
I've even got access to a 3D printer so could get samples out for testing.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Maddie

by Maddie

@aeroisnteverything, I'll give it a try. I'm an Android user and haven't used either of these apps but I will try Qlone.
@Dannnn, would be great if someone sent you those parts. I'm still interested in a 3d printed part

fizzaz

by fizzaz

As someone who works in 3d scanning and plays with the expensive equipment, I do not think the android apps and such would work super well for something like this. It just won't capture the necessary detail. You are better using some calipers and just modeling it yourself. I did as much for the Yoeleo handlebar over in that thread and it really isn't difficult.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

Maddie wrote:@aeroisnteverything, I'll give it a try. I'm an Android user and haven't used either of these apps but I will try Qlone.
@Dannnn, would be great if someone sent you those parts. I'm still interested in a 3d printed part
They are about £20 each here so I might buy them. Would probably need to do a hybrid model to scan then (like the poster above made from carbon)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Skeeleye

by Skeeleye

Maddie wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:04 am

The final look with a SL7 stem. Unfortunately, it will take some time until I mount it on my Venge. Already looking forward to reroute the cables internally once more…
Really nice work here, I can't wait to see what it looks like on your Venge. Could be a fun project to attempt if it turns out to be a nice clean look, I run my venge slammed and would much prefer one combined spacer

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

fizzaz wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:28 pm
As someone who works in 3d scanning and plays with the expensive equipment, I do not think the android apps and such would work super well for something like this. It just won't capture the necessary detail. You are better using some calipers and just modeling it yourself. I did as much for the Yoeleo handlebar over in that thread and it really isn't difficult.
I don't know that you need much detail. Externally this is important to get right in terms of dimensions and shape, and to me this seems impossible to model with manual measurements and at the same time there is very little detail there. Internal you can then just use TinkerCAD to make the right holes in the right places and thin out the walls so it's not heavy.

xylar

by xylar

I'd be interested too

fizzaz

by fizzaz

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:29 am
fizzaz wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:28 pm
I don't know that you need much detail. Externally this is important to get right in terms of dimensions and shape, and to me this seems impossible to model with manual measurements and at the same time there is very little detail there. Internal you can then just use TinkerCAD to make the right holes in the right places and thin out the walls so it's not heavy.

It may just be that I have a habit of overdoing these things, but the fitment on the SL7 looks pretty precise and I imagine it would look ugly if it didn't match up closely. You are right though. The spacers I've had shapeways print for me (didn't wanna bother with finding printer time at work) all came out equivalent to the round spacers they replaced at 5-8g.

Maddie

by Maddie

So, here it is, my Venge with a SL7 stem:

I had to build a second spacer because the first one wasn't pulled down evenly when I added some preload on the bearings. It looked really strange since it was slightly tilted forward. I didn't realize that the upper SL7 spacer and the Venge bearing cap are not symmetrical. Fortunately I had spares of both spacer sets. I added a small piece of pvc plate (3mm thick) between both parts at the rear and then built the spacer combo like I did with the first one.

It's not 100% perfect and I believe 2mm would have been better than 3mm but it looks ok.
Since I had to recable everything anyway, I removed the RS910 port from the seatpost and moved it to the handlebar. For me it never made much sense to have it in the seatpost so I'm glad that I corrected it.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

Could you explain the set up a bit more (what bits aren't level etc)
I've got the two kits coming so can start to put them together to then scan then 3d model.

But I have a SL6, so can't test fit parts.

Maddie

by Maddie

I'll do my best. Sorry for the out of focus pic but it's the best I got.

If you just put both pieces together, then the surfaces that make contact to the compression ring and to the stem won't be parallel. Therefore I played around with some micro spacers that I cut in half and put behind the stem. What you see in the pic is 4x0.5mm of spacers that gave me 2mm of additional space.
I think you'll instantly see what I mean once you have the spacers. Good luck!