Bike prices

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What has happened to bikes prices.
Since most love Specialized it's a good example

2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 was £8500.

The specification:

Roval CLX50 carbon clincher wheels with ceramic bearings
Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150 groupset

Almost same spec today at cheapest price i can find is £10500 at specialized concept store.

It's bizarre, so question is how did this happen?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

by Weenie

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Well off people getting into cycling happened, lots of well off people, with expensive sheds to store their expensive bikes.

I was talking to a guy on a scooter yesterday who commented my bike looks cool, then said he's just looked at getting back into cycling and can't believe the prices of new bikes.

Yeah £10.5k for a SL7, £10k for a Propel Advanced SL, crazy and mad world.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels 6.5kg

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:37 pm
What has happened to bikes prices.
Since most love Specialized it's a good example

2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 was £8500.

The specification:

Roval CLX50 carbon clincher wheels with ceramic bearings
Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150 groupset

Almost same spec today at cheapest price i can find is £10500 at specialized concept store.

It's bizarre, so question is how did this happen?
They're going to keep increasing prices until the sales no longer support the price. If they can sell them at that price in enough volume to justify it, they will. And the more they can profit, the less they have to sell to keep the same margins.
Wilier Cento10AIR Rim Brake - SRAM Force AXS
BMC GF02 - Ultegra R8000 - Commuter/Trainer

Strava link: https://www.strava.com/athletes/jmeinholdt

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

It is pretty amazing the way prices have shot up in recent years. I remember when people used to slag brands like De Rosa, Colnago and Pinarello for the prices of their frames when they were just "Made in Taiwan," but cost more than the top end product from Specialized, Trek and others. Now, it seems like the pricing has been reversed a bit, and the "boutique" Italian brands look like something of a bargain. Even custom frames are cheaper than these "off the rack" Taiwanese or Chinese made frames.

The price of clothing is the same way. It wasn't that long ago that $100 was a good "mid-level" bib short, and the only brand that could get away with charging over $200 for bibs was Assos. Now, $150-$250 seems to be the target market for good bib shorts, with a number of companies charging over $300(!) for their top-end models.

Unniti

by Unniti

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:54 pm
The price of clothing is the same way. It wasn't that long ago that $100 was a good "mid-level" bib short, and the only brand that could get away with charging over $200 for bibs was Assos. Now, $150-$250 seems to be the target market for good bib shorts, with a number of companies charging over $300(!) for their top-end models.
I've noticed this too. Few years ago buying Assos bibs felt like you were buying something expensive. Now they're still pretty much the same price but a lot of the other brands have massively increased their pricing. And I can't come up with any reasons why I should buy to bibs from a brand that was started a year ago and are charging much more than Assos for their stuff.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

The fact that the SL7 sold out instantly, has me believing that the upward trend will only contiune. The demand is obviously still there, so manufactures will keep pushing it till they hit the breaking point.

Also, once one brand sets a high price, and is successful at it, then it kind of forces other brands to follow suite...consumers still equate high price to high quality/exclusivity.

So if brand A's top end bike is $12K and brand B's top end is "only" $9K, people are going to assume that brand B is a lesser bike, even though it is most likely just as good, if not better than, brand A.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I think it comes down to the way the global economic recovery after the 2008 financial crisis resulted in the rich becoming super rich. It's no secret that cycling is an expensive sport. Then you have a bunch of people willing to pay whatever without exactly the skillset to critically evaluate what they are paying for.

Seeing the new Tarmac and Trek priced at custom titanium with custom paint level is going too far. I love a Tarmac/Trek/Cannondale as much as the next person but they are not equivalent in my opinion to the U.S./European/Japanese/Australian etc custom frame builder market. A few watts at speed doesn't justify the crazy prices we are getting into.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Dura Ace 9100
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12 (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161577)
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-in build queue

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Golfers. Well...now they're calling themselves: cyclists. The real problem is in MTB..where it used to be a bunch of rejects and ne'er-do-wells...now, even Assos makes MTB shorts! (I kid...sorta).

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

It's mental.

Soooo expensive. It's a rich man's (mostly) activity.

Especially where I am in the South of England!!

Puts me right off TBH.

Sad thing is, riding an 'avergage' bike is actaully just as rewarding and enjoyable, but there is that feeling that you always have to keep up with the latest and greatest.

maxim809

by maxim809

More than ever, cycling has become a fashion statement.

And fashion means something different to everyone but what I'm essentially seeing is people will pay to either be part of a identifiable "family" (Sworks) or pay the extra premium to go super unique but still identifiable so they don't go bespoke. The final category are those who enjoy fine goods but like to be low-key about it (Canyon stealth bikes). Anyway, that's how one of my LBS's who specializes in custom frames explained it to me... most people just don't like custom because people want to be seen riding recognizable brand names, even if they are being low-key about it. There's a fashion aspect beneath these types of "exuberant" consumer behavior.

Also to the person who mentioned remembering the time Assos was considered expensive and now it's drowned out... so true. Nowadays a new player can come to the market and price a full kit combo @ $500 (half a grand!!) and it will sell.

Golf.
2013 Cannondale Synapse | 2015 LaPierre Pulsium | 2016 Pinarello Dogma F8 | 2016 Bianchi XR4 | 2019 Spesh Sprint

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Supply & demand, and many drink the marketing kool aid !

eric01

by eric01

Cycling doesn’t have to be expensive to enjoy. This forum skews towards the high end — all of us like discussing the latest kit and scrutinizing minutiae. It’s not quite that interesting to talk about 105 spec’d bikes.

I was on holiday last year and rented a aluminum bike with tiagra. Was surprised at how well it rode. Sure not as nice my pro-spec bike at home. But the best part was getting out on the open road and just enjoying riding.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

eric01 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:57 am
Cycling doesn’t have to be expensive to enjoy. This forum skews towards the high end — all of us like discussing the latest kit and scrutinizing minutiae. It’s not quite that interesting to talk about 105 spec’d bikes.

I was on holiday last year and rented a aluminum bike with tiagra. Was surprised at how well it rode. Sure not as nice my pro-spec bike at home. But the best part was getting out on the open road and just enjoying riding.
My wifes bike is 10 speed tiagra. Apart from the weight It works great. In vacations i rented several base level carbon bikes (trek, canyon etc with 105 and was totaly impresed. Sure they are about 1 kilo over a top level bike but at 2000e (or are they 3 now) they make a nobrainer best buy for someone that simply wants to ride.

Of course it is silly that a top level bike has jumped over 10. Nothing stops them from tying to reach 15 in a couple years...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eric01 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:57 am

Yep...

My 2007 Scott CR1 Pro had an MSRP of US$2850.

A new Trek Emonda SL 6 has an MSRP of $3300.
A new Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 costs $3000.

You can look at it several ways. At the time the CR1 Pro was the second or third most expensive offering in Scott’s line-up. These days there’s quite a few more rungs between a mech Ultegra bike and the top of the line. Then again, these days the functional equivalent of 6600 Ultegra is Tiagra 4700...

by Weenie

Visus

by Visus

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:54 pm
Prices of bibs are insane. I was recently looking into PNS bibs as I like the colourways of their jersey (although they are overpriced) but they cost nearly twice as much as an Assos RS S9 bib which I just can't justify anymore. It's becoming more and more fashion with high prices for the sake of high prices without real value to it. Or the new Rapha bib which costs 360$...

I wonder if custom builders will also rise their prices over the years if this continues?