cervelo r5 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

Finished my build...Wasn't really going for a weight weenie build, but a more solid build...could have gone with the Pro One Tubeless tires and saved about 60g, but the new One's are bulletproof.

-2019 Cervelo R5 LTD Frame Blk/Blk/Wht - 51cm
-Force eTap AXS Shifters/Derailleurs/Brakes
-SRAM blip shift buttons -150mm
-Zipp SL70 Ergo Carbon Bar
-Enve Carbon Stem
-Pro Stealth Carbon Saddle
-Red AXS Crank 48/35 (added one-piece powermeter after photo)
-Force AXS Cassette 10-33
-Wheels MFG Threaded BB
-HED Ardennes RA Black Wheelset
-Schwalbe One Tubeless Tires 25c
-Shimano Ultegra R8000 pedals
-Supacaz bar tape
-Muc-off tubeless valves
-Stans sealant

Did a shakedown ride on it and damn it wants to go. BB is stiff compared to my 2014 R5. Reminds me of my Tarmac SL4.

15lbs even with no pedals/bottle cage.

First proper ride on it tomorrow!Image

Last edited by yellowbear1021 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Considering they released new colorways for 2021 (for both the R5 and R-Series) it's safe to assume we won't be getting any updates next year? Current R3 and R5 models have been on sale since late-2017, which means next summer they'll be 4 years.

Any rumors on something new coming out in 2021? I might want to buy a R3 frameset to build up as a disc/climber bike, but if they announce a new model in 6 months or so I'd prefer to wait.
Cervelo S3 - 7.35kg

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The best looking is the navy blue with red
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Dang, that green looks good!

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

bearsdidit wrote:Image

That's green?

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

Ypuh wrote:Considering they released new colorways for 2021 (for both the R5 and R-Series) it's safe to assume we won't be getting any updates next year? Current R3 and R5 models have been on sale since late-2017, which means next summer they'll be 4 years.

Any rumors on something new coming out in 2021? I might want to buy a R3 frameset to build up as a disc/climber bike, but if they announce a new model in 6 months or so I'd prefer to wait.
I think they should just focus on optimizing this current frame design for disc brakes. I just feel like they rushed to get a disc brake version out and didn't put much thought into the ride feel. I hope they don't full propietary on the cockpit. Seems to be the trend with the new high-end models coming out.

tepextate

by tepextate

yellowbear1021 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:32 pm
bearsdidit wrote:Image

That's green?
All of their press photos recently have been really misleading. For example, the purple Caledonia appears a dark purple in the press photos (basically purple/black), but looking at photos on Instagram, it's pretty clear that it's a much lighter purple in the daylight.

Maybe misleading isn't the right word, but would be nice if brands showed photos of the bike under different lighting conditions if the paintjob is one that can change depending on the lighting. :)

FWIW, I think the new green color looks great. Price point also seems better at $1,000 cheaper than last year's model. Looks like they swapped out their wheels from DT Swiss 1450 to their own brand. Any other major changes?

tepextate

by tepextate

Also, I'm looking for an outfront mount for the stock Cervelo bar/stem combo. I know that Cervelo recommends the Bar Fly Direct Max 4, but those are all sold out everywhere. What do you guys who kept the Cervelo bar/stem combo use for an outfront mount?

Ypuh

by Ypuh

This one already show the green is a lot brighter than the image above makes you believe. Still looks good though. I kind of like the green (as long as it isn't black it's fine by me).

Cervelo S3 - 7.35kg

maquisard

by maquisard

Not integrated cockpits make me sad... until I go to change the brake lines.

In all fairness, the biggest failing of the current R5 and R-series as well, is the poor cable management. It just looks outdated and messy, particularly on the mechanical groupsets with the cables entering behind the headset, at 90 degrees into the toptube.

ubiasylum

by ubiasylum

tepextate wrote:Also, I'm looking for an outfront mount for the stock Cervelo bar/stem combo. I know that Cervelo recommends the Bar Fly Direct Max 4, but those are all sold out everywhere. What do you guys who kept the Cervelo bar/stem combo use for an outfront mount?
I have one I mounted up but took off and never used. I tried to DM you but I guess I don’t have permissions. You can try to DM me and we can work something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tepextate

by tepextate

ubiasylum wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:05 am
tepextate wrote:Also, I'm looking for an outfront mount for the stock Cervelo bar/stem combo. I know that Cervelo recommends the Bar Fly Direct Max 4, but those are all sold out everywhere. What do you guys who kept the Cervelo bar/stem combo use for an outfront mount?
I have one I mounted up but took off and never used. I tried to DM you but I guess I don’t have permissions. You can try to DM me and we can work something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Glad we could make this work out. :)

tepextate

by tepextate

I got my 2019 Cervelo R5 from Excel Sports last week and have riding it around. Really loving it so far!

I'd love to get the community's collective wisdom on the best way to adjust spacer height over time with this bike. My fitter has recommended 30mm of spacers, and the bike came to me with 40mm of spacers. I'd like to over time reduce the spacer stack to 0mm as I improve my core strength and flexibility.

I imagine I'll have to do this in 10mm increments over time. What do you guys think is the best way to make these adjustments? Should I cut the fork each time, or just put the spacers on top of the stem? I've never cut a fork before, so I'm not sure how much of a pain in the ass it is - will I have to recable the brakes / shifters each time the fork is cut?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

azaggie

by azaggie

Just stack the spacers on top to start. 10mm doesn't look too odd and safer than realizing you went too far. Iirc the cervelo stem may need a different cap with spacers on top though.

by Weenie

tepextate

by tepextate

azaggie wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:43 pm
Just stack the spacers on top to start. 10mm doesn't look too odd and safer than realizing you went too far. Iirc the cervelo stem may need a different cap with spacers on top though.
OK, that makes total sense, thank you!

And yes, I think you're exactly right. It says in the manual that I need a standard top-cap. I assume any old round top-cap will do, like this one? https://www.backcountry.com/cervelo-car ... RzZXQgY2Fw

No idea what it means by the bond-in fork insert, though...