Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
AJS914

by AJS914

I'm still surprised that Garmin is still the only game in town for bike radar. Maybe it's locked down with a patent?

tabl10s

by tabl10s

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 pm
RTW wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:57 pm
asiantrick wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:06 pm
This one is a winner so far: Corki Varia Mount.
But it costs LOADS of money. I looked at doing this, but all in it was going to cost about $50 for a mount. :shock:
Where are you sourcing it from? After reading RTW's reply, I ordered the seat rail clamp and mount from Amazon one for US $24. Note that this price includes local retail sales tax as we have an Amazon warehouse not far away.
D'oh!

The warehouse is five miles away meaning I'm eating California tax all the time!
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.05lbs/5.915kg
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg
2018 Rca
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight: 12.03lbs

by Weenie

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Picked up a Garmin Varia rtl510 and since my seat has bolts, I fabricated a mount. I have access to a 3d printer, but don’t really trust it with an expensive radar/light. Some of the Shapeway mounts look interesting, but don’t put it in my preferred placement.

Started out with a cardboard template and then transferred it to graph paper so that it was square and symmetrical. I had some 2 inch aluminum angle that was light and super strong. After some hacksaw work, several test fits and lots of file/dermal work I had the basic layout. Was able to transfer the bolt holes and get the bend just right for a nice tight fit. I highly recommend waiting to bend it as it made drilling out the rest of the holes much harder.
IMG_1067.jpg
It took quite a bit more time than I planned on to get the finish and all the holes drilled. I was able to take out 10g of weight while keeping the piece more than strong enough. I was going to paint it gold, but decided on the stealth look of black.
IMG_1069.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg
All together it’s stronger, lighter and looks better than the stock mount and I can use the stock one on my wifes bike so both of us can use the radar.
IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1071.jpg

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I've been on a few short rides since I purchased mine from AliExpress. So far so good. It has not been a habit yet to check the screen for on coming cars, but I have used it [instead of looking over my shoulder] while passing others/changing lanes. I like it so far.

I paid less than $100, well worth the money spent.

On my first group ride, someone commented that the light is really bright.

ms6073

by ms6073

While I have a Fizik styl emount for mine, the wife's uses Garmin's aftermarket seat post mount, but she has a narrow stance and because of the design, I am worried she will wear a hole on the inner thigh of her bibs from contact with the side of the mount. For that reason, it would be nice if one of the designers on Shapeways could make one that attached like a seat post clamp with the bolt at the front or back thus streamlining the side profile to eliminate the protrusions.

Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

AJS914

by AJS914

Butcher wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:13 pm
I've been on a few short rides since I purchased mine from AliExpress. So far so good. It has not been a habit yet to check the screen for on coming cars, but I have used it [instead of looking over my shoulder] while passing others/changing lanes. I like it so far.

I paid less than $100, well worth the money spent.

On my first group ride, someone commented that the light is really bright.
I don't have to check my screen for cars. I get a beep first which alerts me. I'd make sure the beep is turned on or your volume is turned up enough.

I bought mine on ebay for $87. I believe it was the same as the Aliexpress deal. It was advertised as "used" but what arrived was new and legit Garmin with barcodes and all but no packaging.

I also bought the Garmin aftermarket mount. I like the mount but a couple of times I've noticed the Varia unit a little bit askew. I'm a little worried that it could fall off. I'm considering some kind of lanyard.

Overall I love having the radar. It saves my neck from looking behind all the time.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I will check that beep option. One thing I do not want is something beeping every 30 seconds so I probably shut it off.

AJS914

by AJS914

You only get a beep when the screen goes from clear to car coming from behind. If a second car comes while the first car is still coming you don't get a another beep. Thus, you won't get beep after beep if you are on a busy road with a constant stream of cars. I find the audible alert an essential part of the Varia function because otherwise I wouldn't know to look at the screen.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

+1 for the beep, I ride in the country, so it's not going off that much, I could see where it might be annoying in an urban setting. It beeps well in advance of the car being near you, so you have time to check the road ahead before you take your eyes off to look at the screen, then determine where the car is in relation to passing you. Still absolutely love mine, I won't ride without it.

I'm using the seatpost mount, but had to move it up to the top of the seatpost because my legs were rubbing on it when it was lower. Might work on fabbing something up like Alex did to mount it to the seat.

colagreek

by colagreek

I have this mount on all my bikes, Its perfect.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N6FDU ... 8&li=shops

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Having an all carbon saddle I have not found a mount that will attach to it. I too have a seat post mount and had to move that mount as high as I could because of the leg rubbing issue. I'm fortunate to be really busy with this time out that everyone else is having. I do not see me making an mount anytime soon.

ms6073

by ms6073

FYI - I have engaged one of the 3D Printing designers who markets on Shapeways about the possibility of an updated Varia seat post mount over in the Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts thread.

colagreek

by colagreek

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:10 pm
FYI - I have engaged one of the 3D Printing designers who markets on Shapeways about the possibility of an updated Varia seat post mount over in the Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts thread.
Same guy I've used several times. Top notch work.

ms6073

by ms6073

As have I and he never fails to deliver. Based on my comments, below is his updated design for the Varia seat post mount for a 27.2 seat post. Based on another of my suggestions, @WheresWaldo is also updating the design to incorporate the rear clamp design for his GoPro seat post mount.