Is Ti the solution?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MAsshole

by MAsshole

Anyone here ever see any T-Lab bikes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Finx

by Finx

Here is my 1 month old 60cm Moots Routt RSL. Reynolds wheels, Enve compact bar and 120mm stem. Ultegra Di2, and Cane Creek eeWings Titanium cranks.

I have ridden it with 28mm, 32mm, 35mm and 38mm compass tires. I'll probably stick with 32's for every day riding on tarmac and rail trails, and use the 35's or 38s for the rougher stuff when I feel like getting out into the mountains.

Shown here prior to the steerer cut, and with the hoods a little too high on the bars (both since remedied), and before the eeWings cranks were installed.

And here with the eeWings Ti cranks and Praxis 50/34 chainrings.

Needless to say, it's a do everything and anything road or gravel oriented kind of bike.

It's not a weight weenie bike, but it's not terribly heavy either, as 60cm metal bikes go. I believe the mechanic at the shop weighed at ~8.5kg as you see it here.

RyanH

by RyanH

toshi wrote:I've admired many a Moots but the extremely sloping tt puts me off. Call me shallow, but I think at these $ amounts all the details count, even the subjective ones.
I believe they can do a level TT for you.

addictR1

by addictR1

pdlpsher1 wrote:I live in Colorado and every Ti bike I see here is a Moots. In fact I'm willing to bet there's a higher ratio of Ti bikes here vs. carbon beause of Moots. I don't own a Moots because I want to be different and not ride the same bikes everyone here is riding :D
Since Moots is in Colorado, how come not much love for Mosaic? Or not many rolling around in CO?

Or due to price? I saw the price on adrenaline website and it’s like almost double of moots RSL or litespeed T1SL

Also I thought the Moots RSL would be heavy but this isn’t that bad.

Sure Litespeed T1SL is lighter but maybe the Moots will rise more like a Ti and not try so much to be like Carbon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Price is certainly a factor. Plus Moots has dealers so their margins are lower when they sell through a dealer so they have to sell more bikes to make it up. I wouldn't be surprised if Moots sells 1,000+ frames a year whereas Mosaic sells 50-75 a year. I haven't seen a Mosaic in person here but it doesn't mean they are not out there.

fxx

by fxx

RyanH wrote:
toshi wrote:I've admired many a Moots but the extremely sloping tt puts me off. Call me shallow, but I think at these $ amounts all the details count, even the subjective ones.
I believe they can do a level TT for you.
Level TT, would not that sacrifice rigidity and add weight?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

none

by none

fxx wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:14 am
Marginally, about as much rigidity as few psi in the tires, about as much weight as 1/4 bottle of water.

fxx

by fxx

none wrote:
fxx wrote:
Marginally, about as much rigidity as few psi in the tires, about as much weight as 1/4 bottle of water.
True, but I would not do it for the sake of aesthetics.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

fxx wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:14 am
none wrote:
fxx wrote:
True, but I would not do it for the sake of aesthetics.

DOUBT.. the ti tubing to go parallel TT weighs 1/4 water bottle.... unless that container is small... very.

Only rider who could tell stiffness difference between the two rides on TV... and of course they do what their told...then.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

fxx

by fxx

WinterRider wrote:

DOUBT.. the ti tubing to go parallel TT weighs 1/4 water bottle.... unless that container is small... very.

Only rider who could tell stiffness difference between the two rides on TV... and of course they do what their told...then.
Any difference no matter how small, is still a difference.

One way to negate the ugly sloping top tube is to show more seatpost, something that you can do less on a level top tube, so looks wise I can still accept the sloping TT.

jrobart

by jrobart

Finx wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:59 pm
Here is my 1 month old 60cm Moots Routt RSL. Reynolds wheels, Enve compact bar and 120mm stem. Ultegra Di2, and Cane Creek eeWings Titanium cranks.

I have ridden it with 28mm, 32mm, 35mm and 38mm compass tires. I'll probably stick with 32's for every day riding on tarmac and rail trails, and use the 35's or 38s for the rougher stuff when I feel like getting out into the mountains.

Shown here prior to the steerer cut, and with the hoods a little too high on the bars (both since remedied), and before the eeWings cranks were installed.

Needless to say, it's a do everything and anything road or gravel oriented kind of bike.

It's not a weight weenie bike, but it's not terribly heavy either, as 60cm metal bikes go. I believe the mechanic at the shop weighed at ~8.5kg as you see it here.
Are you riding the Compass tires tubeless? I am riding the 38mm Bon Jons on my Litespeed T5G and while they are comfortable, tubeless compatible and tubeless ready just aren't the same thing. Lose more air than I should (and yes, I've put more sealant in, started over, changed one of the tires altogether and even had my lbs give it a shot).
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

mattyNor

by mattyNor

jrobart wrote:
Finx wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:59 pm

Are you riding the Compass tires tubeless? I am riding the 38mm Bon Jons on my Litespeed T5G and while they are comfortable, tubeless compatible and tubeless ready just aren't the same thing. Lose more air than I should (and yes, I've put more sealant in, started over, changed one of the tires altogether and even had my lbs give it a shot).
I deal with a lot of Compass tires and I've found mixing Muc Off and Orange Seal at ~3:1 does the trick in sealing the sidewalls.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

WinterRider

by WinterRider

to show more seatpost,

[/quote]

Does not that post also add weight............

Build two bikes same ti dimensions... the seatpost tubing length of the 'sloper' is heavier
than added ti tubing on the parallel TT design. All thing equal ...the sloper vs parallel design
weight difference is so minimal.. if.. there is one.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

The Moots is uninspiring to say the least. It's also sort of a slap in the face to consumers. Looks like they've put no effort whatsoever into their frames.

Sort of says "We haven't changed a thing since 1995, so this is what you get, like it or not".

Blah. A frame should inspire. At the very least Moots should polish their frames so they look like they're actually trying. And the whole thing abvout sloping top tubes are stiffer is a myth. No one can tell the difference even if there was one, that's how infinitesimal the difference is in real world applications.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Berzin1 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:14 pm
The Moots is uninspiring to say the least. It's also sort of a slap in the face to consumers. Looks like they've put no effort whatsoever into their frames.

Sort of says "We haven't changed a thing since 1995, so this is what you get, like it or not".

Blah. A frame should inspire. At the very least Moots should polish their frames so they look like they're actually trying.
:thumbup:

Ah.. come on... "we're mooooots". :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com