Lens colour when raining?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Never tried Rudy's Racing Reds, but this is representative of what the world looks like through Prizm Trail lenses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8VdSbMkftA

It's a bit too monochromatic for me. Contrast is good, but yeah, I couldn't deal with the overall tint even on a sunny summer day.

by Weenie

TonyM

by TonyM

To me the Prizm Trail with a Light Transmission of 36% (vs. 20% for the Prizm Road) seems to be a good candidate for the cloudy-to-rain weather.

For the rainy days I suppose the Prizm Low Light with a Light Transmission of 75% would be better.

Back in the days I had some Bollé with clear lenses and a nice coating. I hope the Prizm Low Light would be the same + some contrast enhancement.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

The low light options seems to only come with the frame at the moment - a white frame that doesn't match my kit. So you have to pay (even more) over the odds for a frame I don't want.

So I decided to buy a clear replacement lens in the end for my Radar EV paths. From videos, switching lenses doesn't look too problematic.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Prizm low light is now available as a replacement lens for the Jawbreaker on Oakley USA for $80usd https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0 ... 8392337122

Hopefully this will filter across to other countries soon and to other models.

I ended up getting mine from eBay from a set that had been parted out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Calnago

by Calnago

Well, after talking about the Oakley Low Lights on Monday, by Monday night they were enroute to Chez Cal's Coffee Lounge and Bike Emporium. Arrived Tuesday. They're nice, but I think I'll return them, as after trying them out I just prefer the Rudy Projects more, mostly due to the fit of the Rudy's, with the adjustable nose piece (I have a narrow nose bridge), so overall the Rudy's just feel better on my head is what it comes down to. Guess it's a bit like saddles.
But I think the lens itself is very nice for its intended purpose, let's in 75% of light or something. Best thing about these over a simple clear lens is the contrast. If I wanted a clear lens (or close) during the day then I'd want this one. And they're totally wearable at night, but they're not as neutral amongst street lights etc., as my Rudy Project Photochromic Clear to Blacks 9%-74% light transmission. I really got those glasses for when I'm riding in the day with a good chance I'll be finishing up in darkness. Trouble is, I don't like how dark they are during the day, even in cloudy grey weather. But in their "clear" state at night, they have the edge over the Oakley low Lights for neutrality of color, but jsut plain Clear is always best at night. But Rudy doesn't really have an equivalent lens to the Oakley Lowlight that I could find. The tint is soft and I really do like the extra bit of contrast over a clear lens during the day. Tested out a bunch, side by side... still love the Racing Reds from Rudy (28% light transmission, with superb contrast and optics).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for the review!
Which ones would you prefer tp wear when it is raining during the day?

Calnago

by Calnago

Raining during the day, lens choice only... the Oakley Low Lights.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Flight Jackets come in Prizm Low Light and the extend nose piece position works well with button noses or narrow bridges. You’d have to be into the Flight Jacket / Jawbreaker look though.

Calnago

by Calnago

Yeah, I know. I’m just not into either of those two models. The Oakley’s just don’t fit me very well. But I was intrigued by this new Low Light lens. It’s nice. Then when I started pulling out a bunch of sunglasses that I own to compare, I thought... wth do I need another pair of cycling glasses for. :)

mattr

by mattr

Calnago wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 am
wth do I need another pair of cycling glasses for. :)
N+1

I'm up to about 11 pairs now. A couple i probably haven't worn for over a decade.........

1415chris

by 1415chris

TonyM wrote:To me the Prizm Trail with a Light Transmission of 36% (vs. 20% for the Prizm Road) seems to be a good candidate for the cloudy-to-rain weather.

For the rainy days I suppose the Prizm Low Light with a Light Transmission of 75% would be better.

Back in the days I had some Bollé with clear lenses and a nice coating. I hope the Prizm Low Light would be the same + some contrast enhancement.
I went Prizm Trail way, cos 75% seemed to me to be a too big jump from Road lenses.
I posted few words in Oakley lenses thread.
The Trail lenses surprised me as I thought they are like Road but with higher light transmission.
I was wrong, different tint brighten up vision. Very nice.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

for no-sun, grey and gloomy days it's either clear or yellow-ish. the former just protect your eyes, the latter add that welcome photo efect, making everything sharper and cooler, like on those MoPho's pics. when fall kicks in it's a nice way to fight post-summer depression, pretending grass is still green and sky fully blue. during winter when snow's lying around, I'd use either yellow for cloudy or regular dark shades for that alpine sunny weather. I must admitt I like riding in clear lenses best though - makes me feel kinda bonded with the nature (tbh I'd love to ride without any glasses, but apart from rainy rides that's not gonna work for obvious reasons)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I have a pair of Rudy Project, and use what they call racing red no matter what the conditions. I also have clear, smoke grey, and yellow lenses, and used to change the lenses depending on whether it was sunny, raining, fog, etc, but decided in the end that the racing red worked pretty well in all conditions, and that's all I've used for the past three or four years.

TonyM

by TonyM

1415chris wrote: I went Prizm Trail way, cos 75% seemed to me to be a too big jump from Road lenses.
I posted few words in Oakley lenses thread.
The Trail lenses surprised me as I thought they are like Road but with higher light transmission.
I was wrong, different tint brighten up vision. Very nice.
How would you rate the Prizm Trail for the rainy days? Are they not too dark for the rain?